LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 234 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by dj43:
I just finished re-watching the game (I know, I'm a masochist.) for the expressed purpose of watching Banks and Poe.

I understand that Banks was likely working against a grade-level higher player during his time in the game versus what Poe was facing. My conclusion is that Poe is the better player. He is just as strong if not more so than Banks. Poe also is noticeably quicker than Banks. His footwork is light years faster. His superiority stood out on the last play of the game as Purdy was scrambling around trying to make something happen. All the rest of the LOS had broken down into a chase scene except Poe who continued to hold off his man at virtually the same spot on the field as they started. It was funny really. It looked like they were having their own personal one-on-one while everyone else was off doing something else.

Poe is the starter, IMO.

Interesting. I'll take your word on it. You do have a good eye for OL talent.

One solution to the OLine problem is somehow getting Poe to be a starter. I don't think you throw a terribly raw guy like Poe in there right away, but I'd look to develop him over the course of this season so that towards the end of this season he can challenge for a starting spot. At least that's how I'd approach handling Poe.

It would be nice if Poe was so good that he was able to push Burford (at some point in the season) towards right tackle. Now Burford playing right tackle is a whole nuther can of worms though.

The only way I see that happening is if Brunskill would not be available. Other than this hammy, DB has been more than adequate at OT. I can't imagine moving a raw rookie to a new position this late in the TC.

As I said above, I look at Poe as the better player now and prospect for the future than Banks. In my eye, Banks has been the weakest link in the OL to this point.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
I am wondering if Brunskill can still play OT. He has been playing interior OL in the last two seasons and this year's training camp. Not sure if he got any training snaps at OT. Perhaps he has been getting his body and weight to be ideal for interior OL and he won't be able to play OT at the 2019 level any time soon.

From what we have seen of Moore, Skule, and McKivitz, Brunskill had better be able to still play OT.
Honestly a little confused as to why, in a critical developmental year, the Niners would leave the OL as possibly the weakest area of the team unnecessarily. I get that they drafted a guard last year, but it looks like a bad pick thus far. We need stability and consistency there...wouldn't be surprised if the season ends up being a disappointing one because of this misstep
I know it was preseason, but that last preseason game has me worried about the interior of our O-line and the backups.
I am wondering if Brunskill can still play OT. He has been playing interior OL in the last two seasons and this year's training camp. Not sure if he got any training snaps at OT. Perhaps he has been getting his body and weight to be ideal for interior OL and he won't be able to play OT at the 2019 level any time soon.

Me too. The injury put a kink in everything too so once he lost the C job, they couldn't get him reps at RT just in case. Bummer.

From what we have seen of Moore, Skule, and McKivitz, Brunskill had better be able to still play OT.

Preach!
Originally posted by NCommand:

Preach!

Agreed.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Without T. Williams, this is a Bottom-3 Oline.
One solution to the OLine problem is somehow getting Poe to be a starter. I don't think you throw a terribly raw guy like Poe in there right away, but I'd look to develop him over the course of this season so that towards the end of this season he can challenge for a starting spot. At least that's how I'd approach handling Poe.

It would be nice if Poe was so good that he was able to push Burford (at some point in the season) towards right tackle. Now Burford playing right tackle is a whole nuther can of worms though.

Another idea is to platoon Poe and Banks at left guard in alternate quarters. What they lack in quickness and strength can be compensated with less fatigue. It worked for the Niners in one Super Bowl year.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

Another idea is to platoon Poe and Banks at left guard in alternate quarters. What they lack in quickness and strength can be compensated with less fatigue. It worked for the Niners in one Super Bowl year.

Really? I don't even remember that. I wonder what Trent Williams would think of that?

The Niners won the 1989 Super Bowl with a double platoon at LT and RG. Steve Wallace/Bubba Paris and Bruce Collie/Terry Tausch. Platooning should allow players to use more energy rather than pacing themselves for a whole game. This not only allows players of equal skills to get on the field but allows better production from lesser players.
The 49ers also did it in 1995 with Rod Milstead and Chris Dalman at right guard.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Aug 27, 2022 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
The Niners won the 1989 Super Bowl with a double platoon at LT and RG. Steve Wallace/Bubba Paris and Bruce Collie/Terry Tausch. Platooning should allow players to use more energy rather than pacing themselves for a whole game. This not only allows players of equal skills to get on the field but allows better production from lesser players.

Oh yeah! That's right. You know, with 17 game seasons, this isn't a bad idea at all.
However, it doesn't seem like something Shanahan might do, although he platooned QBs last year for a time.
Went back an watched Treys snaps. The interior O Line looked ok. It was McKivitz and Moore that were just letting the dogs through the door. We need Trent and McGlinchey to stay healthy
[ Edited by Young2Owens on Aug 27, 2022 at 1:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Went back an watched Treys snaps. The interior O Line looked ok. It was McKivitz and Moore that were just letting the dogs through the door. We need Trent and McGlinchey to stay healthy

No doubt about it. What's scary is how many injuries this unit gets annually.

We haven't even started and Brunskill's been out, Mike might be done and J.Moore just got back and naturally, was torched.

Depth scares the hell out of me because I know we'll be tapping into that pool, no doubt.
Share 49ersWebzone