LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 211 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Ultimately, I think we'll have a middle-of-the-pack O-line and it shouldn't make a major difference in the outcome of the season.

You still think we're going 11-6 with an average OL?

I mean we've gone to SBs and won a s**t load of games with an "avg" OL lol

Exactly.

Technically, at least according to NCommand's opinion those weren't "avg" OL, but way below average OL.

Anyway, prediction is hard this season because we don't know who good Trey Lance is.

The key point you two keep dismissing or not retaining or are not getting, is these weren't "average" OL's. They were horrendous in the playoffs. If you want to win lots of games you can get buy with an average OL during the season. If you actually want to have a shot at a title, you need FAR better than what we've been rolling out there NO MATTER THE QB.

Understand?
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 29, 2022 at 12:53 PM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

That's good. I feel a ton better about this o-line if both starting tackles are in the lineup than if either of them is out. Swing tackle is a huge problem if the Houston game is an indication of what to expect.

Agreed. This could be great news going into the season. Hopefully he has no more setbacks.

Yup. They did say they'd ramp him up this week to test his pain level. If he can get through this week we've got a shot at week 1. If not, well.

All we can do is hope at this point.
It is weird you made definitive statement that he is a guard and not tackle solely based on your assessment.

He's currently playing OG this off season in Chicago. Plenty of draft evaluators said his best spot in the NFL is inside.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/bears_shift_former_second_round_pick_teven_jenkins_to_guard/s1_14819_37783746
https://theathletic.com/3514113/2022/08/16/bears-camp-teven-jenkins-roquan-smith/

He played tackle last season. He started this training camp at tackle, and was only very recently moved to guard. Not sure how you can definitively stated he is a guard and not a tackle.
Originally posted by Brucey72:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Thank God

We really came a far way with MM. He was ridiculed for so long, but now he's viewed as a savior.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Ultimately, I think we'll have a middle-of-the-pack O-line and it shouldn't make a major difference in the outcome of the season.

Sure, but I have told you many times, I think you drastically under estimate how many lines around the league are average or worse. We all want greatness at every position but bad line play is actually the baseline norm for the NFL, being good is the outlier.

The top OL's are still winning Superbowls though so despite a perceived drop in talent around the league, it's irrelevant to the winning formula.

Keep stacking talent until you reach the standard. Give us the best shot.
Originally posted by Silky:
We really came a far way with MM. He was ridiculed for so long, but now he's viewed as a savior.

No one is calling him a savior but when compared to guys like Moore and Mckivitz he looks pretty good
Originally posted by Brucey72:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Thank God

I don't he is some great player I just think our backups are trash

I mean we've gone to SBs and won a s**t load of games with an "avg" OL lol

Exactly.

Technically, at least according to NCommand's opinion those weren't "avg" OL, but way below average OL.

Anyway, prediction is hard this season because we don't know who good Trey Lance is.

The key point you two keep dismissing or retaining or are not getting is these weren't "average" OL's. They were horrendous in the playoffs. If you want to win lots of games you can get buy with an average OL. If you actually want to have a shot at a title, you need FAR better than what we've been rolling out there NO MATTER THE QB.

Understand?

Disagree completely.

Did you mean we had no shot at the title back in 2019 and 2022 season? Really? LOL.
[ Edited by libertyforever on Aug 29, 2022 at 12:52 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

That's good. I feel a ton better about this o-line if both starting tackles are in the lineup than if either of them is out. Swing tackle is a huge problem if the Houston game is an indication of what to expect.

Agreed. This could be great news going into the season. Hopefully he has no more setbacks.

Yup. They did say they'd ramp him up this week to test his pain level. If he can get through this week we've got a shot at week 1. If not, well.

All we can do is hope at this point.

If he's back in pads tomorrow that'll be a really positive sign!
Originally posted by frenchmov:

No one is calling him a savior but when compared to guys like Moore and Mckivitz he looks pretty good

Exactly. MM is far from perfect, but he gave up fewer sacks in 8 games last year than our backup tackles did in 2 quarters in the preseason.

The top OL's are still winning Superbowls though so despite a perceived drop in talent around the league, it's irrelevant to the winning formula.

They are when their QB makes up for their poor play like Stafford did
Disagree completely.

Did you mean we had no shot at the title back in 2019 and 2022 season? Really? LOL.

A shot? Of course. Every team that gets in the playoffs has a shot. We had a 'shot' with a 42% pressure rate and less than 3 ypc. Insane. We had a shot. Yes. But that's more of a testament to the rest of the roster isn't it? And it proved fatal.

Do you want to win one?
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

They are when their QB makes up for their poor play like Stafford did

LOL. The #1 OL.
LOL. The #1 OL.

Didn't play like it. Played like a below average one.

9ers were #3
West is not at practice today which is a sign he has been cut. But that's no surprise. He will be on the PS.
Share 49ersWebzone