LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 196 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ritz126:
i dont think that was a surprise

it will be a surprise if we dont sign him to PS. Realistically i dont think a team will put him on their 53

I would be shocked if the staff thought Southerland was actually a better center. Was all about hiding him.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by FL9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
A shot? Of course. Every team that gets in the playoffs has a shot. We had a 'shot' with a 42% pressure rate and less than 3 ypc. Insane. We had a shot. Yes. But that's more of a testament to the rest of the roster isn't it? And it proved fatal.

Do you want to win one?

They were bad, but a one-legged Trent Williams and Tom "freaking" Compton will do that.

We had a bad luck in TW's injury. We would have a very reasonable change to win that game and head to the Superbowl if TW was completely healthy.

That was a good example of the luck factor in winning championships. It is ridiculously stupid for NC to make these definitive statement that we didn't win last season so we had zero chance (and the team wasn't good enough) from the very beginning.

We were able to generate a lot of pressure. We had 2 sacks, they had 0 sacks. We had 2.5 ypc and they had 2.4 ypc. We allowed their O to dink and dunk down the field. We held them to 2 fieldgoals on their last 2 real possessions. The defense made the correct decision in not being aggressive and end up giving up the big play. The offense got stuck in neutral after that long time consuming TD in the 3rd. The truth is the defense missed 1 real opportunity in the game and the offense missed at least 5.
We weren't just a team making in the playoff. We won playoff games. We got to the Superbowl, and the NFC championship in the other year. So we didn't just have a shot, we had really good shots.

Luck is always in involved in the final outcome.

Eh, the word "Luck" gets thrown around too much for my liking.

More often than not, teams with good coaching and talent tend to win super bowls.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Apparently- it looks like McGlinchey back at practice. Good news - I hope!

?t=93
Originally posted by Sickaa:
We weren't just a team making in the playoff. We won playoff games. We got to the Superbowl, and the NFC championship in the other year. So we didn't just have a shot, we had really good shots.

More often than not, teams with good coaching and talent tend to win super bowls.
But you can never ignore luck as a factor. I certainly believe a team that has not make the playoff or not win a single playoff games in the last 3 seasons were simply not good enough to win Championship.

But NC basically said a team that loss in the Superbowl in 2019 and loss in the NFC Championship in 2021 never had a chance in those 3 seasons because they didn't win championships. That I have to disagreed. This was from our discussion in the Kyle Shannaham thread in the last couple of days.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
A shot? Of course. Every team that gets in the playoffs has a shot. We had a 'shot' with a 42% pressure rate and less than 3 ypc. Insane. We had a shot. Yes. But that's more of a testament to the rest of the roster isn't it? And it proved fatal.

Do you want to win one?

They were bad, but a one-legged Trent Williams and Tom "freaking" Compton will do that.

We had a bad luck in TW's injury. We would have a very reasonable change to win that game and head to the Superbowl if TW was completely healthy.

That was a good example of the luck factor in winning championships. It is ridiculously stupid for NC to make these definitive statement that we didn't win last season so we had zero chance (and the team wasn't good enough) from the very beginning.

We were able to generate a lot of pressure. We had 2 sacks, they had 0 sacks. We had 2.5 ypc and they had 2.4 ypc. We allowed their O to dink and dunk down the field. We held them to 2 fieldgoals on their last 2 real possessions. The defense made the correct decision in not being aggressive and end up giving up the big play. The offense got stuck in neutral after that long time consuming TD in the 3rd. The truth is the defense missed 1 real opportunity in the game and the offense missed at least 5.

Bingo. And when this started they were down. This idea Stafford made plays under pressure is a myth. He simply passed short on every play but one to go ahead and ice the game. And he STILL almost gave the game away.

That's not taking anything away from his year overall or his talent; just stating the facts in the end.

But you can never ignore luck as a factor. I certainly believe a team that has not make the playoff or not win a single playoff games in the last 3 seasons were simply not good enough to win Championship.

But NC basically said a team that loss in the Superbowl in 2019 and loss in the NFC Championship in 2021 never had a chance in those 3 seasons because they didn't win championships. That I have to disagreed. This was from our discussion in the Kyle Shannaham thread in the last couple of days.

Do you read? Is this NY's other account? I literally just posted a couple pages back they still had a chance even under those extreme circumstances. Circumstances elite QB's don't win under.
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
We cut West

i dont think that was a surprise

it will be a surprise if we dont sign him to PS. Realistically i dont think a team will put him on their 53

Agree
Bingo. And when this started they were down. This idea Stafford made plays under pressure is a myth. He simply passed short on every play but one to go ahead and ice the game. And he STILL almost gave the game away.

That's not taking anything away from his year overall or his talent; just stating the facts in the end.

He did. Watch the throw to Kupp that goes right past Kwaun with Bosa bearing down. It's absolutely under pressure.
Do you read? Is this NY's other account? I literally just posted a couple pages back they still had a chance even under those extreme circumstances. Circumstances elite QB's don't win under.

I saw a QB win a playoff game while being sacked 8 times.

In the Kyle Shannahan thread, you used the end results of 2019 and 2021 season as conclusive evidence that the team was simply not good enough to win Championships.

Do you want to win one?

Stafford made the plays that were there to be made. You can argue all you want. He still executed the game plan. Jimmy missed a handful of opportunities that would have put the game away. Including short, pressure beater, passes (just like Stafford) in which he failed to execute. He also had missed wide open receivers on multiple plays. Both defenses dropped int's in the game.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Has Stafford ever won with a 42% pressure rate and <3 ypc? Has any QB?

Stafford also didn't have any pressure. Every pass at the end was short minus 1 pass (OBJ + penalty) down the stretch. So yes, their OL did play like their #1 rating when it mattered most. Unlike ours which did the opposite.

So it goes from you need an elite OL to win to you only need it for the playoffs to you only need it for the last 10 minutes of a game. No moving goalposts though.

Stafford was the best QB in the league against the blitz so yah I think he could've figured it out. He also would've thrown the damn ball to Brandon Aiyuk.

No I said that's the best combination. High end QB + OL. And that's been proven. It's still football.

Now, is it POSSIBLE to win a Superbowl with an average OL and high end QB? It is but the odds are massively stacked against you and your QB is going to have to play out of his mind (along with the rest of the team).

Just like you can win a Superbowl with an elite defense and average QB (e.g. Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco, Brad Johnson, etc.). But the odds are stacked against you.

That's all.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 29, 2022 at 4:00 PM ]

Do you want to win one?

Stafford made the plays that were there to be made. You can argue all you want. He still executed the game plan. Jimmy missed a handful of opportunities that would have put the game away. Including short, pressure beater, passes (just like Stafford) in which he failed to execute. He also had missed wide open receivers on multiple plays. Both defenses dropped int's in the game.

If you want to say he made plays while under pressure earlier in the game, that's cool. My point was he was still down on the scoreboard at that point and what it took to win was not a heroic effort here. It was an Alex Smith-level effort. Literally. These were one read, basically, primary check downs minus one deeper play. That's it. I just wanted to clarify that point.

I think the real hero that game was McVay recognizing the concept to just take the short game because that's what we were giving him. Stafford stayed patient and stayed with that script. Very similar to how Brady beat Seattle's cover 3.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 29, 2022 at 3:59 PM ]

In the Kyle Shannahan thread, you used the end results of 2019 and 2021 season as conclusive evidence that the team was simply not good enough to win Championships.

Um, clearly it wasn't in real life. LOL. Unless we're playing Madden. Was it still possible? Of course. Why given Sunday, right?
Share 49ersWebzone