There are 189 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Very true…nonetheless, Stafford did have an outstanding game. Likewise, our OL looked awful, as they were literally all beaten up physically…Trent being in worse shape than remainder of line. It would have been a great time to have had 10 OLs on team and a couple almost as good as starters.

Thus Kyle's one fault…treating the OL as a poor stepchild. I love the guy…just wish he would change his mind on the OL.

You have OL confused with the secondary.

Haha. I love you, man!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Really? My bad if true. I could have sworn when reviewing the game log they had a couple key runs towards the end.

Yes, when all things are equal, the better talent usually wins out (at QB). So why would you refute TW on one leg and Tomlinson, Brunskill and Compton in that game being < than their OL especially down the stretch? You already think their QB did. So why wouldn't you think their OL was better too when they were better coming in to the game and given your own research?

The truth of the matter is, Stafford + OL > Garoppolo + OL.

The last line is true no matter what OL you are talking about.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by FL9er:
A shot? Of course. Every team that gets in the playoffs has a shot. We had a 'shot' with a 42% pressure rate and less than 3 ypc. Insane. We had a shot. Yes. But that's more of a testament to the rest of the roster isn't it? And it proved fatal.

Do you want to win one?

They were bad, but a one-legged Trent Williams and Tom "freaking" Compton will do that.

We had a bad luck in TW's injury. We would have a very reasonable change to win that game and head to the Superbowl if TW was completely healthy.

That was a good example of the luck factor in winning championships. It is ridiculously stupid for NC to make these definitive statement that we didn't win last season so we had zero chance (and the team wasn't good enough) from the very beginning.

We were able to generate a lot of pressure. We had 2 sacks, they had 0 sacks. We had 2.5 ypc and they had 2.4 ypc. We allowed their O to dink and dunk down the field. We held them to 2 fieldgoals on their last 2 real possessions. The defense made the correct decision in not being aggressive and end up giving up the big play. The offense got stuck in neutral after that long time consuming TD in the 3rd. The truth is the defense missed 1 real opportunity in the game and the offense missed at least 5.

Bingo. And when this started they were down. This idea Stafford made plays under pressure is a myth. He simply passed short on every play but one to go ahead and ice the game. And he STILL almost gave the game away.

That's not taking anything away from his year overall or his talent; just stating the facts in the end.

Stafford made the plays that were there to be made. You can argue all you want. He still executed the game plan. Jimmy missed a handful of opportunities that would have put the game away. Including short, pressure beater, passes (just like Stafford) in which he failed to execute. He also had missed wide open receivers on multiple plays. Both defenses dropped int's in the game.

If you want to say he made plays while under pressure earlier in the game, that's cool. My point was he was still down on the scoreboard at that point and what it took to win was not a heroic effort here. It was an Alex Smith-level effort. Literally. These were one read, basically, primary check downs minus one deeper play. That's it. I just wanted to clarify that point.

I think the real hero that game was McVay recognizing the concept to just take the short game because that's what we were giving him. Stafford stayed patient and stayed with that script. Very similar to how Brady beat Seattle's cover 3.

The point is he made the plays that were there and the other QB did not. All of Jimmy's passes were short also. 3 of 9 for 30 yards, 2 delay of games and an interception is not a championship winning performance. You want to give Jimmy a pass and discredit Stafford just to prove a point that our O line was more terrible than their terrible O line in that game, than fine. Whatever.

Oh I'm definitely not giving Jimmy a pass. Haha.

Even under the circumstances he still had his chances. I just wanted to displell the myth that Stafford was under pressure and making game winning decisions under duress.

When you said, "I still think we could have won" I agree with you.

As to the OL, I can't speak to the splits for both teams that game but no doubt their OL only allowed 1 pressure down the stretch...like the Chiefs IIRC when they went on their run. That's 'probably' not a coincidence IMHO.

Both O lines played like crap. 2.4 ypc and 2.5 ypc. Both O lines gave up a lot of pressures. Its kind of difficult to get pressure on a QB though when he is throwing screens and other quick passes. A quick passing game can negate even the staunchest pass rushes in the NFL.

Jimmy had those opportunities as well and he botched on a couple of them down the stretch that would have kept drives alive. One to Hasty on a screen and one to Kittle sneaking out after faking a pass block. There were plays that the O line held up and receivers were open and yet we couldn't move the chains because the QB either didn't see the wide open receiver or refused to pull the trigger.

How many wide open receivers did stafford miss? I am willing to bet it wasn't as many as Jimmy.

I hear you. I don't know how much of a split there was on the OL, although willing to bet, half of TW, Tomlinson, Brunskill and Compton struggled more down the stretch when it became more predictable, Stafford > Jimmy so I'm perfectly fine with that take. I do know their big runs came late when it mattered even if in the end, they had similar YPC averages overall.

That said, I'd still like 1 example of a QB winning a Superbowl under the 42% pressure rate and <3ypc through the playoffs. I don't want to lose the collective chaos Jimmy had to face overall. I wouldn't wish that on any QB. Because you and I know, the more pressure = higher probability for losses. Even for the "elite QB's." That's been well documented.

Again, rewriting history. Their longest run from the end of the 3rd qtr (rams got the ball with 1:59 left in the 3rd qtr) through the end of the game was a 3 yard run on a 1st and 10 by Akers. You know when both O lines play like garbage it usually comes down to which QB makes the least amount of mistakes. That's been well documented.

McVay did with his OL what the 49ers and their OL could not; adjust to the opposing defense by not just running, but attack the one spot 49ers was weakest, the short slot and once that got opened up and those safeties had to move up to help out, the deeper parts of the filed became open. Also CBs were playing off so it's perfect for the short passing game. Rams OL was good enough to execute that even against this OL. 2nd half adjustment. So no neither team had running success, but the ultra short passing game, something Jimmy is actually good at simply wasn't successful or we didn't even try.

I agree the short passing game was there for the rams in the 2nd half but it did not open up the deep part of the field. On the rams last 3 scoring drives, they attempted 2 deep passes. Both were incomplete and 1 should have been picked off.

Yes. Their adjustment to the short passing game to negate our pass rush turned out to be enough to get the W. I even said as much.

To say we didn't try to call a quick passing game is straight bs. Every pass Jimmy threw on our last 3 drives was a short pass. Almost every time we moved the chains it was because Deebo or Mitchell took a short pass and ran the rest of the way for the 1st. I won't argue that our O line didn't give up our fair share of pressures, especially at the end. Jimmy also held the ball too long on more than a few occasions when receivers were running free.

Both O lines played like garbage in the game. One QB executed on their last 3 drives and the other did not. That was the ultimate difference in the game Accept the facts. Don't accept the facts. I really don't care anymore at this point.
I agree the short passing game was there for the rams in the 2nd half but it did not open up the deep part of the field. On the rams last 3 scoring drives, they attempted 2 deep passes. Both were incomplete and 1 should have been picked off.

Yes. Their adjustment to the short passing game to negate our pass rush turned out to be enough to get the W. I even said as much.

To say we didn't try to call a quick passing game is straight bs. Every pass Jimmy threw on our last 3 drives was a short pass. Almost every time we moved the chains it was because Deebo or Mitchell took a short pass and ran the rest of the way for the 1st. I won't argue that our O line didn't give up our fair share of pressures, especially at the end. Jimmy also held the ball too long on more than a few occasions when receivers were running free.

Both O lines played like garbage in the game. One QB executed on their last 3 drives and the other did not. That was the ultimate difference in the game Accept the facts. Don't accept the facts. I really don't care anymore at this point.

No that's exactly what I'm not saying - we did try to call a quick passing game, it's just our line couldn't execute that adjustment and theirs did. Go back and watch that 4th quarter (I just did). Say what you want YAC, but the "both lines" is also rewriting history. Again, a QB can only execute when his entire offense OL included, makes the adjustment. Just because the Rams OL had to PP less doesn't mean they didn't at all.

2.5 ypc to 2.4 ypc

15 pressures to 10 pressures

0 sacks to 2 sacks

Both O lines played like crap and the difference came down to which QB executed better. Ours did not. Get the last response in if you must but I am done with this conversation.
2.5 ypc to 2.4 ypc

0 sacks to 2 sacks

Both O lines played like crap and the difference came down to which QB executed better. Ours did not. Get the last response in if you must but I am done with this conversation.

Yup
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Surprised West got cut. Maybe, PS?
Originally posted by mayo49:
Surprised West got cut. Maybe, PS?

Sure hope so.
No that's exactly what I'm not saying - we did try to call a quick passing game, it's just our line couldn't execute that adjustment and theirs did. Go back and watch that 4th quarter (I just did). Say what you want YAC, but the "both lines" is also rewriting history. Again, a QB can only execute when his entire offense OL included, makes the adjustment. Just because the Rams OL had to PP less doesn't mean they didn't at all.

There is no theory applicable in football where you have successful QB play and a sustained, executed offense without some level of OL play. You literally cannot remove an entire position group for a quarter and win a game with zero contribution. Comparative example? As bad as our secondary was last season, those guys played well enough in the NFCCG and gave the overall defense a chance despite getting gashed, we still led during that game. The offense disappeared and it's the same story - our executed offense wasn't good enough. You can make the case that the QB with this OL wasn't good enough and if we have a better QB we win, but here's the hit - the coaching staff going into the season KNEW who Jimmy was - just like we know today. And this is the crux of my OL argument that gets lost in this debate ...

If you're going to war and you KNOW who you are as a fighting team, strengths and weaknesses, don't be shocked when the enemy attacks your weaknesses if you go into the battle eyes wide open about what they are. If QB is you weakness, then you're going to have to bolster other parts for that success to be achieved. I'm not saying we don't invest in the OL or they don't play well at times, it's just not enough for THIS QB ROOM. But KS and JL KNOW this and my whole point is, if you know, then act.

This season is no different. If you have concerns about Trey as a rook and it's CLEAR the coaches have had those concerns and still do have those concerns, then the offense around him has to be as good, if not better than the one you built around Jimmy. The most talented mobile QB I've ever seen was Randall Cunningham and his greatest success was during his short tenure with the Vikings who put a ridiculous offense around him. Expecting a mobile QB to save really poor OL execution (and we're not even talking about last years OL) is just a setup, it' going into a battle knowing you don't have supply lines while hoping for victory. Yes, I can be as optimistic about outcomes as much as I want, but the realist will be like "well damn we don't have good supply lines..."

our line couldnt exeute because we were all injured

Trent Wiliams played and he was straight up not healthy that was the difference
[ Edited by ritz126 on Aug 30, 2022 at 5:52 AM ]
2.5 ypc to 2.4 ypc

0 sacks to 2 sacks

Only Williams was injured - the rest of the OL was healthy for this game (outside of McG but we knew that for some time).

i am saying thats the difference he allowed 5 pressures that game

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
2.5 ypc to 2.4 ypc

0 sacks to 2 sacks

It seems like our standards for QB continue to grow to HOF transcending levels while our standards for OL play have dropped down to hoping Mike McGlinchey plays so Colton McKivitz doesn't. And we all know he probably will at some point given our annual trends.

Oh well...welcome to the WZ.

Too bad. We had stellar standards at both when we were winning ships.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 30, 2022 at 8:12 AM ]
Originally posted by ritz126:
Only Williams was injured - the rest of the OL was healthy for this game (outside of McG but we knew that for some time).

i am saying thats the difference he allowed 5 pressures that game

Yeah, they all did but adding TW's 5 on top of that made it incredible that we scored 17 points and lost by 3 esp. when they couldn't run. That would be like the Rams not being able to throw and having to win with the running game. Not how they were built. Not how we were built. Still possible to transcend and do but you aren't playing to your strengths and you are playing to all your weaknesses.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 30, 2022 at 8:15 AM ]
Doesn't New Orleans have an abundance of O linemen?

aren't they up against the cap?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
we need to so something,,, if you set still. you lose ground.... for them to set on 20 million with maybe some respectable guys out there to sign.. and say.. no. we like our guys and our o line coach... we set still... ugh
They better be upgrading the o line with that 20M They saved from Jimmy and with all the roster cuts today there should be some options available.
Game 1 in 11 days, better fix that o line for TREY ERA!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone