There are 246 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'm rather surprised we didn't pick up any talent off yesterdays waiver list. There's gotta be somebody better than Jaylon Moore and Banks out there!

Doesn't seem to be the case, all those players were cut for a reason. Including Wyatt Davis from Minn who was a first round grade back then.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Ninerlakerdodger:
Poe getting cut

Really? Wow. That probably means they are only keeping 8 OL + 5 RB's.

Looks like it.

Dangerous. Dangerous.

Agree. But Leatherwood or another failed high round offensive line pick might make the Poe cut worthwhile.

Brother Giedi, no one listens. I'm trying to tell y'all they are 100% sold all in on listening to Forester. 3 back-ups to TWO tackles known to miss games.

It is what it is. I think they have done what they could do to shore up that OLine talent-wise. I think the two newly hired assistant OLine coaches were the biggest and most significant moves, though. Gregg and Graves look to be legit McKittrick/Scarannecha level coaches - from their bio. Kyle let all his offensive assistants go - one reason was Mike McDaniel's coaching raid, but the other, I think was to get better offensive coaching -- specifically to the Offensive Line. He had to keep Foerster because, again, the Offensive Line is the most complicated coaching job out of all the offensive coaching jobs on the team. Kyle can't do everything.

I don't think Kyle is done rebuilding the OLine. I think, and I hope, next year - he will throw more draft capital to the OLine squad. Trent Williams might retire, and we're going to (most likely) let McGlinchey go - due to his durability issues. We'll need two more good talent to replace these two sooner rather than later.

P.S. I hope we can possibly get some good practice squad players, because I agree with you that Colton and Moore can be upgraded from the FA guys let go due to cutdown day. I hope Poe and West can clear waivers and get to the PS squad too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
I have no worries for this OL as long as they stay healthy.
Probably can survive with Mckivitz. But if Jaylon Moore has to take any snaps it's KO for the offense.
Lets hope Brunskill can get healthy because he's the perfect wildcard backup who can play EVERY position.
I like the duo of Burford-Banks, and I believe Brendel will be ok. The same as Lance, it'll be a rollercoaster because of the inexperience. But it's a long season, and we should see improvements as the season progress, as long as they all stay healthy.

The NFL is on a point when the OL is getting behind the DL. We see good or great pass rushers come into the league every year. It's easy to name great pass rushers in Watt, Bosa bros, Watt bros, Hunter, Crosby, Chandler, Burns, Gary, Zadarius... and the interior guys, Donald, Defo, Fletch, Grady, Armstead, Heyward, Vea, etc, etc.

It's not as easy to name good OL. Besides big Trent, the top LT are always hurt (Tyron, Bakh, Ronnie, Armstead). Great Centers I can just think of Kelly, Ragnow and Creed, Jensen went down. Guards? Big Q, Shaq, Thuney and some other dudes. RT, Ryan, Braden, Wirfs and Lane.

When guys like Laken Tomlinson get overpaid we see how thin the OL market is. There's not one NFL team who has 5 good or great starters on their OL, everyone has at least 2 question marks even the ones with the top OL in the league.
I like the approach of developing home grown talent in the OL. Foerster is a good coach as long as he keeps his nose away from the drugs. But that requires time and patience, something many many fans lack.
I really think *durability* is the key in Offensive Line play. As NY85's tweet post said, the five guys have to play in unison. Take one piece off, and there is going to be some misfires. Last year, once McGlinchy was lost, the OLine play degraded until they had a couple of games under their belt and Tom Compton stepped up his OT game. Then the Line was average to good on the Left, and passable to OK on the right. Still wasn't an ideal OLine situation with no depth.

I think there is more depth of talent this year versus last year, but they need the reps and durability to really get solidified in their OLine play. Durability is key for Kyle's Offensive Line - vs Power and Strength in other offenses that depend on man blocking schemes. Unfortunately, only (I think) recently has he paid much more attention to durability. If he had paid attention to durability since 2017, in hindsight, he'd probably have a better record and possibly a Lombardi. Foerster is a good coach. You don't get to the NFCCG twice (He was a consultant on that 2019 team, I think) and not be a decent OLine coach. It remains to be seen if he can be a McKittrick/Scarannecha 2.0 though.

I remember when somehow the offense survived with Skule and Brunskill starting at OT. Jimmy once survived with Zane Beadles as his RT.
OL is by far the hardest unit to build. Unlike the DL you don't rotate them to keep them fresh, they play 100% of the snaps, and every snap is a hit from a 270+ pounds behemoth, unless it's garbage time on a blowout. the OL also needs chemistry which is only achieved by playing together.

I like the recent OLine draftees they got. Burford, Banks, Zakelj. Moore and McKivitz - I'm so-so on. Jordan Mills was the only free agent splash this offseason. A big factor in the OLine play is QB mobility. We'll see if Trey's mobility hurts or helps the OLine in that first or second game of this season. I know in the Houston game (and I think the AZ game) Trey's mobility hurt the OLine with a ton of holding calls because the OLine was used to Jimmy being in one spot, whereas Trey will be able to move around suddenly, and the OLine can't be caught grabbing their guy or it's 10 yards in the hole for Trey.

Our elite DLine will have to stress test our OLine and get them ready for the upcoming games. If our OLine can pass protect Trey in practice against this elite DLine unit, they can take on most NFL DLine defenses this year. So ShanaLynch keeping McKivitz and Moore, may say something about their pass protection in practice against our elite Defensive Line more than their atrocious performance in preseason games.
I have no worries for this OL as long as they stay healthy.
Probably can survive with Mckivitz. But if Jaylon Moore has to take any snaps it's KO for the offense.
Lets hope Brunskill can get healthy because he's the perfect wildcard backup who can play EVERY position.
I like the duo of Burford-Banks, and I believe Brendel will be ok. The same as Lance, it'll be a rollercoaster because of the inexperience. But it's a long season, and we should see improvements as the season progress, as long as they all stay healthy.

The NFL is on a point when the OL is getting behind the DL. We see good or great pass rushers come into the league every year. It's easy to name great pass rushers in Watt, Bosa bros, Watt bros, Hunter, Crosby, Chandler, Burns, Gary, Zadarius... and the interior guys, Donald, Defo, Fletch, Grady, Armstead, Heyward, Vea, etc, etc.

It's not as easy to name good OL. Besides big Trent, the top LT are always hurt (Tyron, Bakh, Ronnie, Armstead). Great Centers I can just think of Kelly, Ragnow and Creed, Jensen went down. Guards? Big Q, Shaq, Thuney and some other dudes. RT, Ryan, Braden, Wirfs and Lane.

When guys like Laken Tomlinson get overpaid we see how thin the OL market is. There's not one NFL team who has 5 good or great starters on their OL, everyone has at least 2 question marks even the ones with the top OL in the league.
I like the approach of developing home grown talent in the OL. Foerster is a good coach as long as he keeps his nose away from the drugs. But that requires time and patience, something many many fans lack.
I really think *durability* is the key in Offensive Line play. As NY85's tweet post said, the five guys have to play in unison. Take one piece off, and there is going to be some misfires. Last year, once McGlinchy was lost, the OLine play degraded until they had a couple of games under their belt and Tom Compton stepped up his OT game. Then the Line was average to good on the Left, and passable to OK on the right. Still wasn't an ideal OLine situation with no depth.

I think there is more depth of talent this year versus last year, but they need the reps and durability to really get solidified in their OLine play. Durability is key for Kyle's Offensive Line - vs Power and Strength in other offenses that depend on man blocking schemes. Unfortunately, only (I think) recently has he paid much more attention to durability. If he had paid attention to durability since 2017, in hindsight, he'd probably have a better record and possibly a Lombardi. Foerster is a good coach. You don't get to the NFCCG twice (He was a consultant on that 2019 team, I think) and not be a decent OLine coach. It remains to be seen if he can be a McKittrick/Scarannecha 2.0 though.

I remember when somehow the offense survived with Skule and Brunskill starting at OT. Jimmy once survived with Zane Beadles as his RT.
OL is by far the hardest unit to build. Unlike the DL you don't rotate them to keep them fresh, they play 100% of the snaps, and every snap is a hit from a 270+ pounds behemoth, unless it's garbage time on a blowout. the OL also needs chemistry which is only achieved by playing together.

I like the recent OLine draftees they got. Burford, Banks, Zakelj. Moore and McKivitz - I'm so-so on. Jordan Mills was the only free agent splash this offseason. A big factor in the OLine play is QB mobility. We'll see if Trey's mobility hurts or helps the OLine in that first or second game of this season. I know in the Houston game (and I think the AZ game) Trey's mobility hurt the OLine with a ton of holding calls because the OLine was used to Jimmy being in one spot, whereas Trey will be able to move around suddenly, and the OLine can't be caught grabbing their guy or it's 10 yards in the hole for Trey.

Our elite DLine will have to stress test our OLine and get them ready for the upcoming games. If our OLine can pass protect Trey in practice against this elite DLine unit, they can take on most NFL DLine defenses this year. So ShanaLynch keeping McKivitz and Moore, may say something about their pass protection in practice against our elite Defensive Line more than their atrocious performance in preseason games.

Good thing the first 2 opponents does not have great DL so it should be good for the young OL to begin. The hard stretch begins week 3 with Denver, then the Rams, and so on.
The 49ers newest OL addition:

Hance should be an improvement over Jaylon Moore.
Hance is a good pickup and the very least, gives us a very solid backup
Originally posted by NYniner85:
"The head coach doesn't even know what we do."

Yeah, how could I get that from what Kyle himself has said? LOL

Yeah Kyle the offensive guru has no understanding of blocking schemes or offensive line play

X's and O's is far different than understanding the intricacies of what they actually do to achieve that...hence his comment and expanded comments about them being on an island together, so to speak.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Great. Do we know who he's replacing?
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'm rather surprised we didn't pick up any talent off yesterdays waiver list. There's gotta be somebody better than Jaylon Moore and Banks out there!

LG, C, RG and maybe RT due to Injuries, should be an open competition. I'm not entirely sure who would be considered an upgrade at this point, but It would be nice to take a look at least.

maybe one of the TEs or RBs
This team valued versatility in olineman. If he can play at more than one position, I understand why they claimed him.
This guy should be starting week 1 in one of the guard spots.
Hance seems like a playable do it all backup. Considering our situation this is a win. I'm happy with this pickup. It meets the "they did something" requirement. Beats the hell out of "well we'll see"
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

maybe one of the TEs or RBs

Very possible or a player goes on I.R.
Share 49ersWebzone