There are 224 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Here is an interesting stat that I just came across. Jimmy lost an average of 6.9 yards per sack last season. Trey lost an average of 3.8 yards per sack last season. I know it is a small sample size from Trey last season but it might be something worth keeping an eye on.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Here is an interesting stat that I just came across. Jimmy lost an average of 6.9 yards per sack last season. Trey lost an average of 3.8 yards per sack last season. I know it is a small sample size from Trey last season but it might be something worth keeping an eye on.

Honestly, that's pretty cool. I saw him take a couple sacks in pre season and just get down. If he's only losing a few yards, that's a good coaching point for him. Throw it away or if in the pocket, just eat it and live another down since a few yards aren't crucial to overcome on the next down.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Honestly, that's pretty cool. I saw him take a couple sacks in pre season and just get down. If he's only losing a few yards, that's a good coaching point for him. Throw it away or if in the pocket, just eat it and live another down since a few yards aren't crucial to overcome on the next down.

Exactly! A few yards difference can make a difference. Especially on 3rd down. I noticed last year that he isn't like Wilson or Murray where when facing pressure, they try to drop back further and around to get to the outside. From what I saw from Trey is he steps up into the pocket and looks for rush lanes to open up in the middle.

Also, would anyone be interested in a chart from last season? I can include all QB1's from last season.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Sep 6, 2022 at 2:03 PM ]

Exactly! A few yards difference can make a difference. Especially on 3rd down. I noticed last year that he isn't like Wilson or Murray where when facing pressure, they try to drop back further and around to get to the outside. From what I saw from Trey is he steps up into the pocket and looks for rush lanes to open up in the middle.

Also, would anyone be interested in a chart from last season? I can include all QB1's from last season.

He does. I've noticed that as well...looks to step up or step out but forward. This will actually help the OL a lot too. Remember the days of Steve Young or Jeff Garcia where they were scrambling behind them blind. Here, they can still block their guy and see him in the peripheral or out in front of them.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Not NCs fault. He always needs a few steps first to run with the big dogs
Originally posted by Giedi:
if NC was a doggie - I think he'd be a Saint Bernard.
Posts by random49er are being hidden

What I see in here.

What is going on in here???

Looks like some random thoughts on the 49ers has been posted.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

He does. I've noticed that as well...looks to step up or step out but forward. This will actually help the OL a lot too. Remember the days of Steve Young or Jeff Garcia where they were scrambling behind them blind. Here, they can still block their guy and see him in the peripheral or out in front of them.

Great points and observations! This is what I come here for!
Five Best YDS Per Sack

Dak Prescott- 4.8
Lamar Jackson- 5.0
Patrick Mahomes- 5.2
Jalen Hurts- 5.8
Sam Darnold- 5.8

Five Worst Yds Per Sack

Kyler Murray- 9.2
Mac Jones- 8.6
Zach Wilson- 8.4
Matt Stafford- 8.1
Jared Goff- 8.0
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Sep 6, 2022 at 2:44 PM ]
I just wish there was an agile O-lineman that can pass protect. Like can we get both?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I just wish there was an agile O-lineman that can pass protect. Like can we get both?

49ers fans: Can we please just get a decent backup right tackle?

John Lynch: Best I can do is Dontae Johnson.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Trent Williams!

Of course, that costs you something like a first round first pick in the draft.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
We need an identity change I'll take my chances with Deebo, BA, Kittle, the ball in their hands over Mason, TDP, Mitchell.. no offense to our RBs.. but our pass catchers are insane. KS schemes those guys open. This is simple stuff.. can you do it. TL can. Get the ball to our best playmakers let them work. As shown on the broadcast vs GB look at the Gray TD.. TL didn't need much time he's putting the ball up.. letting Danny run under it.

If you want an identity change, you're watching the wrong team, lol.
I posted this in the McGlinchey thread but it fits here better:
_________
At some point, you have to look at the position coaches. The OL guys that have been good under Shanahan have either been here before (Staley) or trades/FA signees (LT, Mack, Richburg). None of the draft picks have met or exceeded expectations. McKivitz, Moore, McG, Banks, etc., will not be on Foerster and Cregg's resumes when they look for their next job.

The really good coaches take the average player and move them up a level. The fact none of the current group have shown any significant growth speaks to low-quality coaching, IMO.
Originally posted by dj43:
_________
At some point, you have to look at the position coaches. The OL guys that have been good under Shanahan have either been here before (Staley) or trades/FA signees (LT, Mack, Richburg). None of the draft picks have met or exceeded expectations. McKivitz, Moore, McG, Banks, etc., will not be on Foerster and Cregg's resumes when they look for their next job.

The really good coaches take the average player and move them up a level. The fact none of the current group have shown any significant growth speaks to low-quality coaching, IMO.

I fear you are right.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
_________

I fear you are right.

I think it's a combination of coaching and our inability to draft OL.

Because I believe Burford could be the first OL that we have drafted that could improve over time. I feel like he's the exception to the rule.

What bugs me the most is that they want to focus on running the ball and yet they've passed up a lot of really good run blocking lineman in good OL drafts, to then turn around and draft a very average run blocking guard really high in a poor guard class.

Same thing with RBs. It's not that there's never a RB worth picking in rounds 1-3, it's that we continue to pick extremely average RBs high and at the same we have a lot of success with UDFA's.

No one would be complaining about drafting Sermon high if he played like Johnathan Taylor. I know that's obvious but I'm just saying, if we're in position to draft an elite RB I don't see why we should pass on him.

I would fire whoever is in charge of scouting RBs and OL. Bring in a coach who knows how to get the most out of our OL and start scouting OL better.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
_________

I fear you are right.

I think it's a combination of coaching and our inability to draft OL.

Because I believe Burford could be the first OL that we have drafted that could improve over time. I feel like he's the exception to the rule.

What bugs me the most is that they want to focus on running the ball and yet they've passed up a lot of really good run blocking lineman in good OL drafts, to then turn around and draft a very average run blocking guard really high in a poor guard class.

Same thing with RBs. It's not that there's never a RB worth picking in rounds 1-3, it's that we continue to pick extremely average RBs high and at the same we have a lot of success with UDFA's.

No one would be complaining about drafting Sermon high if he played like Johnathan Taylor. I know that's obvious but I'm just saying, if we're in position to draft an elite RB I don't see why we should pass on him.

I would fire whoever is in charge of scouting RBs and OL. Bring in a coach who knows how to get the most out of our OL and start scouting OL better.

WB, I agree with all this. I try to remind myself draft is a roll of the dice and we are batting much higher average than most all other teams. I'm gonna give these young guys a chance before I judge em as no good.
Share 49ersWebzone