There are 266 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
If that's the case then our OL should & will hold all the same…

They don't though.
Gonna be interesting to see how this OL grows through out the season.

I did see some flashes of upside with both G's and Brendel seems like he's Steady-Eddie so that certainly gives me a lot of hope...just need half a season to see where they're at and reassess.
Originally posted by NCommand:

They don't though.

Sure they do. Every OL holds in the NFL.

I did see some flashes of upside with both G's and Brendel seems like he's Steady-Eddie so that certainly gives me a lot of hope...just need half a season to see where they're at and reassess.

We will see….they very well could have 3 long-term young guns on the interior. Banks strength coming into the draft was his pass-pro. I just thought he has slow feet and that would be an issue vs NFL guys and in OZ. Wish he had a little more length to help with that lack of true athleticism. technique wise he's there and imo that kinda caps what he can be.

Burford is kinda the opposite. Dudes got length and athleticism, just needs to develop a little more to become more consistent. His ceiling is higher imo.

got no idea what Brendel is. RT might be the issue if McG isn't ready to go. They value OT so they might be spending cash or picks on that position next yr, if Big Mike doesn't take it up a notch.

They don't though.

Sure they do. Every OL holds in the NFL.

If they held DL, they wouldn't be running by them like they weren't even there. LOL. Maybe Foerster needs to teach them that they have to be in front of a DL to hold them.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 7, 2022 at 6:38 AM ]

We will see….they very well could have 3 long-term young guns on the interior. Banks strength coming into the draft was his pass-pro. I just thought he has slow feet and that would be an issue vs NFL guys and in OZ. Wish he had a little more length to help with that lack of true athleticism. technique wise he's there and imo that kinda caps what he can be.

Burford is kinda the opposite. Dudes got length and athleticism, just needs to develop a little more to become more consistent. His ceiling is higher imo.

got no idea what Brendel is. RT might be the issue if McG isn't ready to go. They value OT so they might be spending cash or picks on that position next yr, if Big Mike doesn't take it up a notch.

That's pretty much how I see it all for now, as well.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmy3233:
should fire Foerster and hire someone with a track record of improving oline. Oline is everyone's major concern going into this season. At least teach the guys how to hold dline covertly to avoid free rushes to the QB. They don't call holding especially when the game is on the line.

All I have to say about Foerster is that Kyle replaced his entire offensive coaching staff but for Foerster. That either says he's a good coach, compared to Benton, Embree, Scangarello, Welker, Barry, Yenser, or Foerster has blackmail material on Kyle. The new assistant OLine coaches Cregg and Graves seem to have impressive bio's by the way, and Foerster did a decent job with the right half of that line last year, given what he had to work with (6th round pick and an undrafted). He's no Kocurek in terms of offensive line reputation, but if Brendel, Poe, and Blake Hans pans out, that's a strong argument that he's heading towards Kocurek's level of coaching. All in all, the OLine coaching staff looks good to me, and the guy who built it isn't some chump change coach -- it was Kyle Shanahan, and to a certain extent Mike Shanahan, both have a long history and connections with the 49ers and the dynasty years. I remain confident in the offensive line personnel (except for right tackle) and the OLine coaches. We shall see.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I mean is really on coaching when you're coaching super late picks and UDFAs ? Can't hit the lotto every time

we went through this with WRs back in the days

You can call it coaching - *if* you add a new wrinkle or innovation on top of your coaching. Bill Arnsparger had low rated talent but he added some unique and creative wrinkles to create the so called "No Name Defense" [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Miami_Dolphins_season] and won the super bowl. Kocurek is a good coach, and has created stars out of some low draft picks and undrafteds, and one reason is he has a bit of a scheme advantage in that not many teams in the NFL (as far as I know) run the wide 9. Alex Gibbs was similar, in a sense, that he successfully coached the outside zone with low round picks and undrafted talent, because he had scheme advantage with the wide zone system. Same with Bill Walsh and the WCO.

But I agree with you, if your coach doesn't give you a scheme advantage in the NFL, you need to put some more serious draft capital into that position to have it be superior to the rest of the NFL.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I mean is really on coaching when you're coaching super late picks and UDFAs ? Can't hit the lotto every time

we went through this with WRs back in the days

You can call it coaching - *if* you add a new wrinkle or innovation on top of your coaching. Bill Arnsparger had low rated talent but he added some unique and creative wrinkles to create the so called "No Name Defense" [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Miami_Dolphins_season] and won the super bowl. Kocurek is a good coach, and has created stars out of some low draft picks and undrafteds, and one reason is he has a bit of a scheme advantage in that not many teams in the NFL (as far as I know) run the wide 9. Alex Gibbs was similar, in a sense, that he successfully coached the outside zone with low round picks and undrafted talent, because he had scheme advantage with the wide zone system. Same with Bill Walsh and the WCO.

But I agree with you, if your coach doesn't give you a scheme advantage in the NFL, you need to put some more serious draft capital into that position to have it be superior to the rest of the NFL.

I don't see forester as a bad OL coach. Dude has been coaching NFL OLs for 30 years. If he stunk he wouldn't be employed for that long. He's also regarded as one of the best OZ OL coaches in the NFL.
Lombardi just said he feels Brunskill is doubtful for Sunday. McGlinchey better hold up!

Lombardi just said he feels Brunskill is doubtful for Sunday. McGlinchey better hold up!

I don't like the idea that two important pieces of the OL are sketchy at this point. Moore looked so-so in PS. Would he hold up well enough to allow these other two to get fully healthy?
[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 7, 2022 at 3:22 PM ]
If I was the 9ers front office, I'd strongly consider making a trade to shore up the right side of the Oline.
Originally posted by dj43:

I don't like the idea that two important pieces of the OL are sketchy at this point. Moore looked so-so in PS. Would he hold up well enough to allow these other two to get fully healthy?

Moore? Man...if McGlinchey has another setback after 8 snaps, we might be looking at McKivitz > Moore.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Butter:
If I was the 9ers front office, I'd strongly consider making a trade to shore up the right side of the Oline.

they knew this was an issue months ago.. what makes you think they will fix it on the eve of the season?
We're gonna be fine here even in a worst case.. let's map it out

LT Trent
LG Banks
C Brendel
RG Burford?
RT Moore / McKivitz ?

This is fine imo. Trent is a HOF. Banks is a new man this year. Brendel can play. Good young guys elsewhere. It can take a game or two or three to gel so not a best line in league perhaps at least not yet but more than serviceable and if Banks is who we drafted him to be it's a rock solid left side of the line.
Share 49ersWebzone