LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 267 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well s**t saints locked McCoy up
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I was taught that O-line is everything. After that, a franchise QB, after that, a franchise pass rusher etc etc.

I don't care how good your QB is, if he has no protection it doesn't matter. If the o line is great the RB has holes to run through and QB has time and lanes to fine the open target. (sadly many QB cant do this even when they are given the time which is why a franchise/competent QB is second) Also that means you are converting first downs, which means the defense is on the sideline resting. O-line is the foundation for sure.

Lets pray to whatever you believe or don't believe in that these youngins' step up and FAST

No one is disputing you cant have a terrible O line. But a great O line doesn't make a QB as you referenced. The Great QB is paramount. Josh showed it last night. Eagles or Browns can be the 2nd coming of 90s Dallas and Hurts/Brissett aren't gonna play like that.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 9, 2022 at 9:37 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, elite. Love to see teams address their weakness after it cost them. Good eye for talent and development.

Hopefully we'll follow suit and next year we'll be ranked elite too.

Except they didn't do anything different than the 9ers did. Both addressed it the same way(1st rounder on tackle, big money OL, 2nd on IOL, mid rounder on G, Journeyman).
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Yeah, elite. Love to see teams address their weakness after it cost them. Good eye for talent and development.

Hopefully we'll follow suit and next year we'll be ranked elite too.

Except they didn't do anything different than the 9ers did. Both addressed it the same way(1st rounder on tackle, big money OL, 2nd on IOL, mid rounder on G, Journeyman).

Wonderful. We have that same license. Just not the same results...to date.

So if we have an elite OL next year we'll be rolling!

TBF, they have been top 8 every year and have done that in different combinations/ways. So maybe they just have a better system.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 9, 2022 at 10:10 AM ]

Correct. Which is why the issue isn't a "blind spot" or "not addressing weaknesses". It's are we picking the right people.

Correct. Which is why the issue isn't a "blind spot" or "not addressing weaknesses". It's are we picking the right people.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
elite OL + elite QB is the only to win it all.

Really? Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco were not elite.
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:

I'm just repeating what someone else was saying.
Well.. we can't be any worse than the defending champs, right?

Totally get that. I don't think I've ever said we've neglected the OL, just haven't prioritized it as much as I would have liked to date. Like the Chiefs buying a new OL after a big loss. But you and I share the exact view on draft/development to date. That's a significant part of all of this. If they were a little better at ID and development, this would be a non issue (minus the need to go 7 deep because of the annual injuries).

Originally posted by NotAFinga42:

Recent Superbowls.

But absolutely, you can win them with an elite (even historic) defense + average QB (Wilson at the time, Dilfer, Johnson, Flacco, etc.).

That's a great formula as well.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 9, 2022 at 10:28 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Perfect example actually. They've been the #1 ranked OL (Bucs too) and they both had big losses to their OL this off season. Stafford and Brady are going to struggle this year as a result. Book it.

Perfect example actually. They've been the #1 ranked OL (Bucs too) and they both had big losses to their OL this off season. Stafford and Brady are going to struggle this year as a result. Book it.
so they just got lucky.. no OL preparedness

I see you. I hear you. Counterpoint would be look we have Trent Williams. Their LT retired. Ours is 99 rated in Madden and very much active.

I see you. I hear you. Counterpoint would be look we have Trent Williams. Their LT retired. Ours is 99 rated in Madden and very much active.

Damn straight!!! Silverback!
Share 49ersWebzone