LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 242 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yes yes. Pass protection is very important.
YAC will appreciate this one. Jimmy Garoppolo was pressured on 41% of his passes all through the playoffs last year (2nd most / played more games than the last place playoff QB). Worst off, the running game was non-existent at <3.0 per carry.

I asked if there was one game or playoff series where the QB won or even won a Superbowl under those conditions. Could Stafford transcend that?

Cue Thursday night: 31-10 L

Matthew Stafford was pressured on 38 percent of his dropbacks. Last season, that number was 26.2 percent [like the playoffs enroute to a Superbowl win behind the #1 ranked OL all season]. His average depth of target was 6.2. That would have put him dead last among starting quarterbacks last year. Jared Goff's average was 6.8 in 2021. They also averaged 2.9 yards per carry.

So the answer is a resounding, no.

So the idea that if we had had Matthew Stafford instead of Jimmy Garoppolo, we'd have won that NFCCG.

Well? Under the same circumstances? You decide.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 10, 2022 at 3:23 PM ]
Actually he was pressured on 48% of his dropbacks per PFF.

Stafford also played very poorly regardless of the O line. He doesn't get a pass either just because they were bad.

Are you seriously trying to make the case the 9ers o line was as bad as the Rams Thursday? Was Jimmy hit 15 times or sacked 7 times all playoffs?
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 10, 2022 at 3:31 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Actually he was pressured on 48% of his dropbacks per PFF.

Stafford also played very poorly regardless of the O line. He doesn't get a pass either just because they were bad.

Are you seriously trying to make the case the 9ers o line was as bad as the Rams Thursday? Was Jimmy hit 15 times or sacked 7 times all playoffs?

Sorry, s/h left the reference: https://www.lafbnetwork.com/bills-pass-rush-wrecked-rams-offense/

No, I'm making the case that no QB wins with that pressure rate and no running game no matter how many of those pressures turn into actual hits and sacks.

This is John Lynch's philosophy. This is the way...

This is also the difference in how we view things. You only look at the QB still: "Stafford also played very poorly" and I look more into WHY he played like ass (e.g. circumstances around him). I'm saying, "Of course he played like ass. All QB's do under these circumstances." LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 10, 2022 at 3:59 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
YAC will appreciate this one. Jimmy Garoppolo was pressured on 41% of his passes all through the playoffs last year (2nd most / played more games than the last place playoff QB). Worst off, the running game was non-existent at <3.0 per carry.

I asked if there was one game or playoff series where the QB won or even won a Superbowl under those conditions. Could Stafford transcend that?

Matthew Stafford was pressured on 38 percent of his dropbacks. Last season, that number was 26.2 percent [like the playoffs enroute to a Superbowl win behind the #1 ranked OL all season]. His average depth of target was 6.2. That would have put him dead last among starting quarterbacks last year. Jared Goff's average was 6.8 in 2021. They also averaged 2.9 yards per carry.

So the idea that if we had had Matthew Stafford instead of Jimmy Garoppolo, we'd have won that NFCCG.

Lol
Sorry, s/h left the reference: https://www.lafbnetwork.com/bills-pass-rush-wrecked-rams-offense/

No, I'm making the case that no QB wins with that pressure rate and no running game no matter how many of those pressures turn into actual hits and sacks.

This is also the difference in how we view things. You only look at the QB still: "Stafford also played very poorly" and I look more into WHY he played like ass (e.g. circumstances around him). I'm saying, "Of course he played like ass. All QB's do under these circumstances." LOL

When a Qb gets sacked 7 times and hit 15 in one game? Yah that's difficult to play through. Of course that wasn't the case for the 9ers o line in the playoffs so it's a moot comparison.

Josh Allen showed you can run away from some pressure and still make plays. Pressure rate doesn't tell the whole story.

Jimmy Garoppolo is probably sacked 3 times for Buffalo and that game is a fg game at the end.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

Lol

I guess the threat of passing doesn't assist the running game and they are independent?

Who'd have thunk it?
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

When a Qb gets sacked 7 times and hit 15 in one game? Yah that's difficult to play through. Of course that wasn't the case for the 9ers o line in the playoffs so it's a moot comparison.

Josh Allen showed you can run away from some pressure and still make plays. Pressure rate doesn't tell the whole story.

Jimmy Garoppolo is probably sacked 3 times for Buffalo and that game is a fg game at the end.

Remember, I asked if ANY QB had won under those circumstances. Stafford was just another of a QB who didn't. So yes, pressure rate DOES matter no matter how you tilt it.

So I'll ask again, I'd genuinely like to find one QB who won under that pressure rate and no running game.
We certainly had a running game last year so that's building yet another one of those false narratives.

When you begin to face better teams in the playoffs,...they are more adept at attacking your strength and exposing your weakness. Nothing new here.

The running game results and the passing game results aren't 2 independent variables,...yet you want to pretend like they are to hoist up a player no one wanted to trade for.

No sense in trying to act like Jimmy's weakness in the playoffs wasn't exposed over and over again. Generally everyone here has seen it so there's no need to throw up stats and pretend that he wasn't less than subpar.
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 10, 2022 at 5:34 PM ]
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

Lol

Yup. Funny. Under identical circumstances one offense mustered 17 points and the other, 10.

It's almost like no running game and consistently high pressure = L
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 10, 2022 at 5:37 PM ]

Yup. Funny. Under identical circumstances one offense mustered 17 points and the other, 10.

Old Bears, New Bears,...it'll be the same formula tomorrow as well because it's basic football. Let's stop trying to put the cart before the horse.

Remember, I asked if ANY QB had won under those circumstances. Stafford was just another of a QB who didn't. So yes, pressure rate DOES matter no matter how you tilt it.

So I'll ask again, I'd genuinely like to find one QB who won under that pressure rate and no running game.

What was Burrows pressure rate vs the Titans? You won't convince me Jimmy had a tougher time than Joe did in that game.

if you don't get sacked and are able to make some big plays on the move you absolutely can win with a high pressure rate. 7 sacks and 15 hits though? Not a chance.

Except they weren't remotely identical.

Lots of hits and sacks plus no running game? Yah that's a problem.

Josh Allen hit a long touchdown off a pressure. That isn't the same result as a damn sack.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 10, 2022 at 6:05 PM ]

Allen avoided instant pressure time and again early. Buffalo was moving up and down the field all game despite that
Our pass pro is questionable but we have some run blocking maulers, have a hard time thinking of a team that will have more rushing yards than us this season maybe the Ravens?
Share 49ersWebzone