LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 219 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Since07:
Our pass pro is questionable but we have some run blocking maulers, have a hard time thinking of a team that will have more rushing yards than us this season maybe the Ravens?

For sure the ravens and eagles will be at the top of the list and maybe even tennessee. We will end up somewhere between 1st and 4th in rushing this year.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
What was Burrows pressure rate vs the Titans? You won't convince me Jimmy had a tougher time than Joe did in that game.

if you don't get sacked and are able to make some big plays on the move you absolutely can win with a high pressure rate. 7 sacks and 15 hits though? Not a chance.

Well, IIRC, YAC's research had Joe Burrow around 26% for the playoffs?

Titans: He attempted 37 passes. I guess this is as close as we can get. They only had 3.6 ypc.

Next Gen Stats
Joe Burrow completed 25 of 31 passes for 325 yards when not under pressure in the #Bengals 19-16 victory over the Titans (10.5 YPA).

Nobody is saying sacks and hits (Hoov's gotta love this one, coming from me) as a result of pressure aren't important.

I'm saying once you get to a certainly % of consistent pressure, it doesn't matter; not the hits, sacks or the type/style of QB.

So if you can find me one single game where a QB transcended that (with no run game), I'd genuinely like to see that. I"d actually just like to know if it's possible for any QB (don't care about immobile QB's like Jimmy/Stafford or mobile like Mahomes/Allen).

* This isn't a Jimmy Garoppolo-thing. This is a SF-OL-in-the-playoffs thing. Hopefully that's been fixed for 2022 but if not, the name on the back of the QB jersey won't matter.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 11, 2022 at 4:47 AM ]
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yup. Funny. Under identical circumstances one offense mustered 17 points and the other, 10.

It's almost like no running game and consistently high pressure = L

Allen avoided instant pressure time and again early. Buffalo was moving up and down the field all game despite that

Was he pressured at 38% or higher and had no running game? If so, I'll give you that!

Edit:

It looks like he was only pressured 8 times (25% pressure rate):

In addition, they had 121 yards rushing and 4.8 ypc. So no, not even close on similar circumstances.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 11, 2022 at 4:32 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Since07:
Our pass pro is questionable but we have some run blocking maulers, have a hard time thinking of a team that will have more rushing yards than us this season maybe the Ravens?

For sure the ravens and eagles will be at the top of the list and maybe even tennessee. We will end up somewhere between 1st and 4th in rushing this year.

100%.
Excited to finally watch this oline grow with each & every game this season. Hopefully as they get more comfortable with each other we will see drastic improvements throughout each & every game. By mid year this line could become a very good one for Trey Lance & this offense!
Originally posted by tohara3:
Excited to finally watch this oline grow with each & every game this season. Hopefully as they get more comfortable with each other we will see drastic improvements throughout each & every game. By mid year this line could become a very good one for Trey Lance & this offense!

For sure!

I'll be watching for:
1. Health at RT
2. Who'll be active as the backup C
3. Consistently at both G spots
4. Brendel and his pre snap protection calls

Anything you guys will be specifically watching for?

Titans: He attempted 37 passes. I guess this is as close as we can get. They only had 3.6 ypc.

Next Gen Stats
Joe Burrow completed 25 of 31 passes for 325 yards when not under pressure in the #Bengals 19-16 victory over the Titans (10.5 YPA).

Nobody is saying sacks and hits (Hoov's gotta love this one, coming from me) as a result of pressure aren't important.

I'm saying once you get to a certainly % of consistent pressure, it doesn't matter; not the hits, sacks or the type/style of QB.

So if you can find me one single game where a QB transcended that (with no run game), I'd genuinely like to see that. I"d actually just like to know if it's possible for any QB (don't care about immobile QB's like Jimmy/Stafford or mobile like Mahomes/Allen).

* This isn't a Jimmy Garoppolo-thing. This is a SF-OL-in-the-playoffs thing. Hopefully that's been fixed for 2022 but if not, the name on the back of the QB jersey won't matter.

The type of pressure absolutely matters. If you have pressure but a qb can step through and make plays it changes the dynamic. When you have a qb with poor pocket presence who can't you can just tee off, especially if there is no fear of them beating you deep. That was Stafford Thursday and Jimmy in the title game. It wasn't Allen. Because of that the Rams couldn't get consistent pressure. Bills O line wasn't suddenly great.

You can't just look at a couple stats and determine everything based on that. Yes if Stafford is a 9er he hits enough plays where they was protection just like he did in the title game.

You can't compare a 7 sack 15 hit performance to the 9ers though. It just wasn't to that level.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 11, 2022 at 7:20 AM ]
I just hope the O line can stay together as a group so they can develop chemistry.

Next Gen Stats

The type of pressure absolutely matters. If you have pressure but a qb can step through and make plays it changes the dynamic. When you have a qb with poor pocket presence who can't you can just tee off, especially if there is no fear of them beating you deep. That was Stafford Thursday and Jimmy in the title game. It wasn't Allen. Because of that the Rams couldn't get consistent pressure. Bills O line wasn't suddenly great.

You can't just look at a couple stats and determine everything based on that. Yes if Stafford is a 9er he hits enough plays where they was protection just like he did in the title game.

You can't compare a 7 sack 15 hit performance to the 9ers though. It just wasn't to that level.

It's moot. Stafford isn't a mobile QB, hence the pressures turning into hits and sacks. The other thing you're missing is the overall pressure rate. It doesn't matter after a point. Pressure effects play of every QB no matter the type of QB. Consistent pressure that high (especially with no running game) = very very very low probability of winning. That's the overall point.

That's what we've become numb too here. And that's the reality our QB's face on a very consistent basis in the playoffs, when it matters most.

Stafford just proved it himself. He'd have folded like a lawn chair if he faced what our QB's are accustomed to here.

You keep looking for that one outlier performance where a QB can transcend that because you're QB-centric. And it just doesn't exist in the real world. Not yet anyhow.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 11, 2022 at 7:40 AM ]
Taking an optimistic approach, if this young interior line can step up, the Niners could have a very solid core for years.

Assuming they can hope for 2-3 more years of solid play from TW, they would only need a blue chip RT.

Originally posted by Butter:
Taking an optimistic approach, if this young interior line can step up, the Niners could have a very solid core for years.

Assuming they can hope for 2-3 more years of solid play from TW, they would only need a blue chip RT.

Wouldn't that be something!!!
Actually he was pressured on 48% of his dropbacks per PFF.

Stafford also played very poorly regardless of the O line. He doesn't get a pass either just because they were bad.

Are you seriously trying to make the case the 9ers o line was as bad as the Rams Thursday? Was Jimmy hit 15 times or sacked 7 times all playoffs?

I remember the good old days when it was all about sacks. Then it shifted to QB hits. Now it's shifted to pressure rates
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I remember the good old days when it was all about sacks. Then it shifted to QB hits. Now it's shifted to pressure rates

You can't have hits and sacks without pressures first.

This is why sacks by players don't carry much weight as they are wildly inconsistent year to year. Pressure rate is a far more consistent metric used for evaluating pass rushers. Everybody knows this.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 11, 2022 at 8:08 AM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

You can't have hits and sacks without pressures first.

This is why sacks by players don't carry much weight as they are wildly inconsistent year to year. Pressure rate is a far more consistent metric used for evaluating pass rushers. Everybody knows this.
Share 49ersWebzone