Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Attended the game today and here are some things about the OL me and others noticed:

- Sloppy execution in pass pro, it wasn't just a couple folks but pressure seemed to be a problem the entire group save Trent struggled to manage. Trey literally couldn't "step up" in the pocket because there was no where for him to go. His linemen weren't good at getting any push or guiding defenders and creating lanes for him to stup up.

- 3 False Starts at the worst time in the game killed drives.

- It's crystal clear they don't trust Banks even as a run blocker. Most of the 49er runs went right.

- Despite pass-pro being meh, that's not what lost us the game at all.

- RB talent matters for this OL. They're not good enough to create lanes you or I could run through, but the game absolutely changed once Mitchell came out.
Game was in mud. We all know these games make a terrible game

No it wasn't. I was there. The field was wet and water logged but it wasn't mud. This simply isn't true. Also Bears weren't that bad in their protection of Fields in certain situations. Like I said, I was there.

Also...

Nick Wagoner
@nwagoner

#Bears did not blitz #49ers QB Trey Lance on any of his 34 dropbacks Sunday. Lance is the 7th QB in the last 15 seasons to drop back to pass 30+ times and not face a blitz. Quarterbacks in those situations are 1-6.

4:43 PM · Sep 11, 2022·Twitter Web App
Lol you weren't on the field

in doesn't matter if they didn't blitz, these conditions make a terrible game. You should know this

I was 10 feet from the field. I've seen football fields before in real life. I've even seen them in the rain. The conditions weren't always horrible. What part of "I was there" don't you understand?
Stop, lol
What I thought. You don't understand it.
You don't have any thoughts that's what cracks me up

dont play the seen a football field card, it won't help you here lol

Well, they certainly are offensive
So is this OL a finished product with everyone having gelled and playing as a unit or is that something they are still trying to accomplish?
We will need to see this line progress & improve going forward no doubt. Hope some of it starts next weekend
Attended the game today and here are some things about the OL me and others noticed:

- Sloppy execution in pass pro, it wasn't just a couple folks but pressure seemed to be a problem the entire group save Trent struggled to manage. Trey literally couldn't "step up" in the pocket because there was no where for him to go. His linemen weren't good at getting any push or guiding defenders and creating lanes for him to stup up.

- 3 False Starts at the worst time in the game killed drives.

- It's crystal clear they don't trust Banks even as a run blocker. Most of the 49er runs went right.

- Despite pass-pro being meh, that's not what lost us the game at all.

- RB talent matters for this OL. They're not good enough to create lanes you or I could run through, but the game absolutely changed once Mitchell came out.
Game was in mud. We all know these games make a terrible game

No it wasn't. I was there. The field was wet and water logged but it wasn't mud. This simply isn't true. Also Bears weren't that bad in their protection of Fields in certain situations. Like I said, I was there.

Also...

Nick Wagoner
@nwagoner

#Bears did not blitz #49ers QB Trey Lance on any of his 34 dropbacks Sunday. Lance is the 7th QB in the last 15 seasons to drop back to pass 30+ times and not face a blitz. Quarterbacks in those situations are 1-6.

4:43 PM · Sep 11, 2022·Twitter Web App

Nick Wagoner
@nwagoner
2h
Replying to @nwagoner

Despite the lack of Bears blitzes, Lance was pressured 12 times. He was 1-of-7 for -2 yards on those drop backs and took two sacks with three scrambles for positive yards.

So I guess the "Trey will transcend and make the OL better" theory got tested.
I always thought that theory was hilarious. Even the greatest escape artist like a Russ Wilson is gonna get sacked more times then not
Really missed Alex Mack tonight. Pretty pathetic that the front office didn't find a suitable replacement with all the time and cash they had to do that. Hopefully the young bucks we got up there in the middle improve.
Originally posted by evil:
So is this OL a finished product with everyone having gelled and playing as a unit or is that something they are still trying to accomplish?

This is pretty much it. Shanny may try to scapegoat saying brunskill will be back in a few weeks but the reality is 3 of them completely suck.

The bad part is the bears are really bad on defense. Like top 5 worst. Imagine what will happen when we face a team with a decent defense. There are a lot as well on the horizon.

The thing that would help is having them get shoulder to shoulder and try to force them to go around but that's the opposite of the zone running scheme.

This was just a preview. It's going to get worse when we play teams that are actually good.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Originally posted by evil:

This is pretty much it. Shanny may try to scapegoat saying brunskill will be back in a few weeks but the reality is 3 of them completely suck.

The bad part is the bears are really bad on defense. Like top 5 worst. Imagine what will happen when we face a team with a decent defense. There are a lot as well on the horizon.

The thing that would help is having them get shoulder to shoulder and try to force them to go around but that's the opposite of the zone running scheme.

This was just a preview. It's going to get worse when we play teams that are actually good.

For one this oline hasn't played much together especially in interior so it's gonna struggle early. All you can hope is improvement weekly and if not then you can say they truly suck and having the interior play together week 1 in a storm isn't going to make things easier as well. Fold thinking Trey and the oline is supposed to be a finished product week 1 were only going to be disappointed. Even with Trey not at his best or the the oline if the d didn't play like idiots this game is won even scoring just 10 pts
Da Bears pressured Lance on 35% of his dropbacks without blitzing a single time in the entire game.

Think about that for a second.
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Da Bears pressured Lance on 35% of his dropbacks without blitzing a single time in the entire game.

"Wasn't great but wasn't as bad as people are making it out." ~ 9ers4eva

I love this guy!

Oh well. I'm still going to give them half a year to gel and see where we are. Even under less than ideal circumstances, we at least now have a low baseline to start from.
I'm anxiously waiting to see how great PFF grades McGlinchey.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Oh well. I'm still going to give them half a year to gel and see where we are. Even under less than ideal circumstances, we at least now have a low baseline to start from.

Correct hopefully they go up from here.
Originally posted by Monsterniner:

The only pass rusher they have is Quinn and he's quite long in the tooth.

Any edge rusher going up against #69 on 3rd down becomes TJ Watt.
"It bewilders me why running backs can't stay healthy in this system." ~ Dennis Brown (MB & DL agreed)

Share 49ersWebzone