LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 176 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Da Bears pressured Lance on 35% of his dropbacks without blitzing a single time in the entire game.

Think about that for a second.

The only pass rusher they have is Quinn and he's quite long in the tooth.

Any edge rusher going up against #69 on 3rd down becomes TJ Watt.

Trey struggled escaping them too. That's concerning given Fields was able to escape a couple times and throw a game changing TD...to that damn cat kid.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 12, 2022 at 7:15 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Da Bears pressured Lance on 35% of his dropbacks without blitzing a single time in the entire game.

Trey struggled escaping them too. That's concerning given Fields was able to escape a couple times and throw a game changing TD...to that damn cat kid.

Yeah was a clutch play and he has far far far less talent surrounding him.

I saw a Twitter comment where someone mentioned Fields looked more mobile in the pocket than Lance.

I'll say for the millionth or so time that I'm an Ohio State fan but I struggle to see why we took Fields instead of Lance. I hope that I see why and Lance winds up succeeding. But same type of player except Fields likely is the better athlete, had more experience, did it at a higher level.

A lot of people fall back on "trust Shanny" and I think he's a decent/good coach and don't distrust him. But still, trust doesn't come from name or media accolades. It's built and proven over time. Kyle and Lynch did a good job, very good job, of building some key components of the roster. But they're certainly not infallible and simply saying "Trust Shanahan" doesn't mean Lance is going to be great or even good. And they definitely have lacked severely in putting together a consistently good offensive line.

Treys game speed has probably been one of the most disappointing things to me. He just doesn't look fast. Quick and agile yes but not fast. And I know he was timed at 21mph or whatever it was in college but there is a big difference between him and other fast QBs in the league. It must take Trey awhile to get up to his top gear.
[ Edited by bmvanthiel on Sep 12, 2022 at 7:32 AM ]

All that tells me is the Bears did a better job of containment. The Niners always have problems containing scrabbling QBs. Last year Fields had over 100 yards. Murray, Wilson, Fields and Jackson always give them fits. I don't know if it's their system or what but they seem to struggle more than some teams.

Trey has the ability to run when he has to but at this time I'm sure he's a little tentative because he's still learning. His decisions are a little slow as he tries to decide whether to throw it or not. We have to realize he has 4 starts in a real game since 2019.
The O line certainly looked like a group that hadn't played together at all. Not once. Not even in pre season. O lines need time to jell and this one is a ways away from that. When you're overly protective of players and don't allow them to play together at all, then this is what you get.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

All that tells me is the Bears did a better job of containment. The Niners always have problems containing scrabbling QBs. Last year Fields had over 100 yards. Murray, Wilson, Fields and Jackson always give them fits. I don't know if it's their system or what but they seem to struggle more than some teams.

Trey has the ability to run when he has to but at this time I'm sure he's a little tentative because he's still learning. His decisions are a little slow as he tries to decide whether to throw it or not. We have to realize he has 4 starts in a real game since 2019.

Yea that's why people thought Lance should have started last year so we don't waste a year of his rookie contract.
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Sep 12, 2022 at 7:58 AM ]
The most scary part is da bears didnt look like a great team and they put pressure on almost every pass play
the FO and scouts havent made a good job finding talent in FA or draft and dont count williams cos he is the best at his position so no Einstein needed to see his value. Richburg was OK. Mack too but leaving after a year isnt a success.
if banks and the rookie pan out in the next few years, great but we needed upgrade for the last 3 years counting 2022
This OL makes me nervous. This could be our downfall this year. They will not help Trey and the kid needs it

I'm not talking about his ability to run once he breaks. I'm talking about his inability to break out at all to where he 'could' make a play down field or with his legs.

But yeah, you're spot on on the containment issues on the defensive side. The whole defense reacted to Fields breaking out of the pocket and left kitty 😺 wide open to field a Field's punt and then had extra time to score.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 12, 2022 at 8:00 AM ]

He wears the appropriate number on his jersey as well.

I'm not talking about his ability to run once he breaks. I'm talking about his inability to break out at all to where he 'could' make a play down field or with his legs.

But yeah, you're spot on on the containment issues on the defensive side. The whole defense reacted to Fields breaking out of the pocket and left kitty 😺 wide open to field a Field's punt and then had extra time to score.

But we have fans that think Trey runs too much and will get hurt. I'm not one of those. I say he's a football player and should use every tool he has. Does it increase his chances of getting injured? I don't know. QBs get injured all the time when they get hit in the pocket in the midst of all that chaos. It doesn't make sense to draft a QB that can make plays with his legs and then tell him not to run.

But we have fans that think Trey runs too much and will get hurt. I'm not one of those. I say he's a football player and should use every tool he has. Does it increase his chances of getting injured? I don't know. QBs get injured all the time when they get hit in the pocket in the midst of all that chaos. It doesn't make sense to draft a QB that can make plays with his legs and then tell him not to run.

I gotcha!
Originally posted by 7x7ers:

Imagine if we were a pass-centric offense.

Do better next week, big fellas.
Originally posted by 7x7ers:

Imagine if we were a pass-centric offense.

Do better next week, big fellas.

Pass blocking is really hard on a wet, rainy day. The O line can't grab the jersey as easy (yes they grab the jersey on nearly every play). Their footing isn't as good either so it's just makes the whole job hard. Add the fact that this was the groups first game together. Not an ideal situation.
Share 49ersWebzone