LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 119 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
how did brendel look?

I didn't notice him much.. expect when he got called on illegal man downfield.. TL had his timing disrupted on that one..
folks really relying on the pff grades.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
The PFF grades look good

It's too bad PFF grades can't win you games.
Our OL definitely wasn't good yesterday...that said, quite a few OL's around the league didn't play well. I have the Red Zone Channel, so saw parts of every game. A good deal of that stems from the fact that quite a few teams haven't truly adjusted to just 3 preseason games yet. The starting OL's around the league are spending less time as units on the field before the regular season starts. There's less time in pads than there used to be. The solution would seem to be insure the starting unit gets more time on the field, especially in the preseason games. I get there's a ton of time expended on evaluating 90 players...but, especially as the preseason winds down, get the starting OL time to jell as much as possible before the first game of the regular season.

I believe the players and coaches got short-changed when they added game 17 to the schedule. They "sacrificed" the 4th preseason game...big deal (not). What they should've done is get at least one additional player (2, preferably) to the 53-man rosters. How does that impact the OL? They could have an additional player active each week. We all know the OL gets beat up...having an extra quality player would help. Just my 2 cents.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 7x7ers:

Imagine if we were a pass-centric offense.

Do better next week, big fellas.

Pass blocking is really hard on a wet, rainy day. The O line can't grab the jersey as easy (yes they grab the jersey on nearly every play). Their footing isn't as good either so it's just makes the whole job hard. Add the fact that this was the groups first game together. Not an ideal situation.

But it didn't rain the whole game. They were having issues when it wasn't raining.

I wonder what the numbers are for the Bears o line? They played in the same weather versus a much more talented group. Did they do better or was it just Fields making plays in the 2nd half. The Bears o line is regarded as one of the worst in the league but on the eye test they didn't look noticeably worse than ours. And they had a back up LT

Bosa was pretty silent in the 4th quarter. It was absolutely Fields making plays but his line did what it could. They just needed to slow the 49er pass rush and the game plan was to create running lanes. Of note? 49ers D was allowing huge runs up the middle. We keep asking Armstead to play outside against mobile QBs. We know that's not his strength.

The49ers gave up 99 yards on the ground. Their top rusher had 45 with Fields 2nd at 28. They gave up 121 yards passing with 77 coming on 2 broken coverages. The Niners completely outplayed theBears but you can't commit 11 penalties with many of them keeping dives alive for the Bears and expect to win. Even the failure to score more in the first half could have been overcome if they just played smarter.

Yeah but it wasn't just penalties that killed the defense. There were two HUGE blown coverages; 1 on of all people Dante Pettis. Pettis was so open on that pass, there wasn't initially a defender in 15 yards of him. The whole stadium started screaming "he's open" before Fields threw the ball. Both blown coverages - the second when the Bears when in I-formation and ran their TE into the end zone for another score. Both errors (not penalties) led to touchdowns. Fields was allowed to be more of himself in the 2nd half.

The penalties actually did lead to the TDs because each TD drive was extended due to big penalties

You could make that argument, but it's not like the penalties put the ball on the 1 yard line. A blown coverage to Dante Pettis is still indefensible, isn't it? Or that stuff doesn't matter anymore too.
I can make that argument because it's 100% fact. They don't commit those penalties on 3rd down then there are no blown coverages to be had. This is not even debatable
It was like unearned runs in baseball. Yah the pitcher should've gotten the other outs but he did make the play to end the inning and it was nullified.
I would love a Kris Kocurek of O-line
I can make that argument because it's 100% fact. They don't commit those penalties on 3rd down then there are no blown coverages to be had. This is not even debatable

So penalties cause blown coverages. Got it. 🙃

What are you trying to debate here? Or what are you not understanding? They don't get the penalties they are not in the position for those blown coverages because they are off the field. You said the penalties didn't play a role in the TDs, which was wrong.
i am very doubtful about the PFF grades after watching the game. What I am concerned about is how good are the Bears DLs? I thought they were bottom of the league? yet our OL struggled. I cannot imagine when we play a good team.
Originally posted by luis1985:
i am very doubtful about the PFF grades after watching the game. What I am concerned about is how good are the Bears DLs? I thought they were bottom of the league? yet our OL struggled. I cannot imagine when we play a good team.

PFF seems to weigh heavily towards run blocking so these grades in a quagmire aren't too surprising. But the things that hurt were the key penalties, pressure up the middle and Trey having to move off the spot on the predictable passing downs. Trey's great when he can step up into lanes and there weren't a lot this game and his usually good pocket feel wasn't as good this game. And of course, he's going to need an extra tick to pass than were accustomed too.

For a long time I´ve been saying that Foerster is an awful O-line coach and now I see that some of you guys are finally seeing it.
Seattle has some players up front. This O-Line needs to show the F up

So penalties cause blown coverages. Got it. 🙃

What are you trying to debate here? Or what are you not understanding? They don't get the penalties they are not in the position for those blown coverages because they are off the field. You said the penalties didn't play a role in the TDs, which was wrong.

This. Penalties gave Chicago the win more than any factor by a substantial amount. Our coach agreed and Bosa even made a funny but true comment how the Bears couldn't do a damn thing vs our D.
No chance against Seattle's DL. They're going to feast.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I'm anxiously waiting to see how great PFF grades McGlinchey.

He got a 77. Same score Trent Williams got. But there were people saying he wasn't that bad using PFF as a reference to show he's not bad.

Some are still In denial with how bad Mike actually Is.
Share 49ersWebzone