LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 239 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Better pefromance today tho some of Brendels line calls were really bad. Too many unblocked assignments.

Thought Banks had a solid game. Burford was up and down. Al Woods gave him some trouble.
Which is understandable for a rook. Like you said, a better performance today for sure.

Agreed. Whole line played better. Woods is a stout run stuffer. I noticed him last week versus Denver. He just tossed Burford on one play. Pass pro was solid all game. O line really stepped on that final drive
Which is understandable for a rook. Like you said, a better performance today for sure.

Absolutely. Keep building the consistency is the key.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Better pefromance today tho some of Brendels line calls were really bad. Too many unblocked assignments.

Thought Banks had a solid game. Burford was up and down. Al Woods gave him some trouble.

Agreed. Whole line played better. Woods is a stout run stuffer. I noticed him last week versus Denver. He just tossed Burford on one play. Pass pro was solid all game. O line really stepped on that final drive

I look forward to rewatching this game. At live glance, they played pretty well. Possibly some poor line calls given both QB's had free rushers off the end (big hits) and multiple times multiple defenders were in the backfield instantly for TFL's but it's another 180 yards rushing and 180 yards passing and they were able to finish after momentum changed after that blocked punt. That's a big deal!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 19, 2022 at 6:33 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

I look forward to rewatching this game. At live glance, they played pretty well. Possibly some poor line calls given both QB's had free rushers off the end (big hits) and multiple times multiple defenders were in the backfield instantly for TFL's but it's another 180 years rushing and 180 yards passing and they were able to finish after momentum changed after that blocked punt. That's a big deal!

Yea it was coming off the left side early. I wasn't sure if they just brought an extra guy or what. I didn't notice it in the 2nd half. I think some of the defenders in the backfield was the overly predictable play calling. I mean the whole world knew they were running the ball. They will be facing better edge rushers this week. And you can bet DJ will be playing hard
[ Edited by lamontb on Sep 19, 2022 at 6:36 AM ]

I look forward to rewatching this game. At live glance, they played pretty well. Possibly some poor line calls given both QB's had free rushers off the end (big hits) and multiple times multiple defenders were in the backfield instantly for TFL's but it's another 180 years rushing and 180 yards passing and they were able to finish after momentum changed after that blocked punt. That's a big deal!

Yea it was coming off the left side early. I wasn't sure if they just brought an extra guy or what. I didn't notice it in the 2nd half. I think some of the defenders in the backfield was the overly predictable play calling. I mean the whole world knew they were running the ball. They will be facing better edge rushers this week. And you can bet DJ will be playing hard

Excellent points. Sometimes that free rusher is on the QB too that if he comes, gotta hit the hot read to that side (usually).

So true...not a lot of secrecy that we were going to run. LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 19, 2022 at 6:43 AM ]
I look forward to rewatching this game. At live glance, they played pretty well. Possibly some poor line calls given both QB's had free rushers off the end (big hits) and multiple times multiple defenders were in the backfield instantly for TFL's but it's another 180 yards rushing and 180 yards passing and they were able to finish after momentum changed after that blocked punt. That's a big deal!

its a lot tougher cause im at the game but i did feel they were more than a few plays where the RB had no chance with players in the backfield
Originally posted by ritz126:

its a lot tougher cause im at the game but i did feel they were more than a few plays where the RB had no chance with players in the backfield

A number of those. Literally 2-3 defenders clean in the backfield under 2s. Not sure what was happening there.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I expect this thread to get more lively. Trey made this group look better with his legs. Every defensive coordinator is adjusting for Jimmy which means more pressure on the OL. You've been here before - crowd the middle of the field, attack the IOL, close down OZ, force Jimmy to beat you without McDaniel helping to call plays.

This line got their asses beat by Al Woods. AL WOODS.

It is the opposite. Jimmy G will make this OL look much better than Trey. Jimmy G can make the read and get the ball out fast.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
I expect this thread to get more lively. Trey made this group look better with his legs. Every defensive coordinator is adjusting for Jimmy which means more pressure on the OL. You've been here before - crowd the middle of the field, attack the IOL, close down OZ, force Jimmy to beat you without McDaniel helping to call plays.

It is the opposite. Jimmy G will make this OL look much better than Trey. Jimmy G can make the read and get the ball out fast.

We already know how that works

JG can beat many teams with his quick pass skill set

JG cant beat the elite defense that erases the quick easy throws

We need a historic effort from our D and ST to win those types of games....goooooo team

This would work if Jimmy didn't have a propensity to throw picks. Getting the ball out fast to opponents defense...yeah.

I thought we are talking about how Jimmy G and Trey make the OL look. If Jimmy G throw bad picks, it will be on him.

Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

We already know how that works

JG can beat many teams with his quick pass skill set

JG cant beat the elite defense that erases the quick easy throws

We need a historic effort from our D and ST to win those types of games....goooooo team

You're not going to get historic effort from D and asking them to carry this team is so unfair to the D and ST.

Idk, looking at the other "top defenses" in the league, 49ers can be #1. The Chicago performance was basically just one play where they had a miscommunication and they were tired from the offense being unable to give them any kind of rest. We got a lot of new starters out there and as the year goes on, they will get even better. Imagine this defense as Hufanga, Womack & Drake get more experience as starters, Moody gets more acclimated with our scheme, and Ward & Verrett come back from injury. We are going to ride the back of this defense and I think they can get us there
We're about to find out if this new OL can pass protect now. I know Jimmy's release will be very helpful as always esp. if we get Kittle back but it's those 3rd and obvious passing downs where all hell usually breaks lose. He took a monster hit yesterday. His head slammed on the turf too. I was fully expecting a concussion.

As to Jimmy, his arm strength seemed to get weaker as the game went on AND, his accuracy was way high throwing on the move again. So that might be a sign he's still healing up from that surgery. Just a live observation.
Grade for week 2: Aaron Banks, LG, 77.7, 76 snaps

I must be terrible at evaluating oline. This was the 2nd straight week I thought he was pretty bad out there and our 2nd worse olineman.
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:

I must be terrible at evaluating oline. This was the 2nd straight week I thought he was pretty bad out there and our 2nd worse olineman.

He wasn't bad at all. Would question what you were seeing.
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:

He wasn't bad at all. Would question what you were seeing.
There were times where jimmy threw too early and had time with decent and some huge pockets
Share 49ersWebzone