LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 236 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
We're about to find out if this new OL can pass protect now. I know Jimmy's release will be very helpful as always esp. if we get Kittle back but it's those 3rd and obvious passing downs where all hell usually breaks lose. He took a monster hit yesterday. His head slammed on the turf too. I was fully expecting a concussion.

As to Jimmy, his arm strength seemed to get weaker as the game went on AND, his accuracy was way high throwing on the move again. So that might be a sign he's still healing up from that surgery. Just a live observation.

We know what Jimmy looks like with a better OL - with Mack, Tomlinson, and Williams. It just floors me that people believe that because Jimmy is back a worse OL is somehow going to make Jimmy better. Boggles the mind.

Reminds me of the Mitch Trubisky experience in CHI

Coaches knew he was bad at passing but his scrambling ability made defenses play differently.

The running game was functional with Trubisky at QB but evaporated when Nick Foles went in. At least with Mitch at QB they had a chance

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/how-bears-starting-mitch-trubisky-not-nick-foles-can-help-awful-run-game

I expect our run game to decline as teams play JG differently
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
We're about to find out if this new OL can pass protect now. I know Jimmy's release will be very helpful as always esp. if we get Kittle back but it's those 3rd and obvious passing downs where all hell usually breaks lose. He took a monster hit yesterday. His head slammed on the turf too. I was fully expecting a concussion.

As to Jimmy, his arm strength seemed to get weaker as the game went on AND, his accuracy was way high throwing on the move again. So that might be a sign he's still healing up from that surgery. Just a live observation.

We know what Jimmy looks like with a better OL - with Mack, Tomlinson, and Williams. It just floors me that people believe that because Jimmy is back a worse OL is somehow going to make Jimmy better. Boggles the mind.

Coaches knew he was bad at passing but his scrambling ability made defenses play differently.

The running game was functional with Trubisky at QB but evaporated when Nick Foles went in. At least with Mitch at QB they had a chance

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/how-bears-starting-mitch-trubisky-not-nick-foles-can-help-awful-run-game

It should remind you of Jimmy 2021. We have tape. No other comparison is needed. People forget, it was Deebo who saved last season, not Jimmy.

The OL was reshaped for Trey.

Id love if we just ran back prior performance but i think it is fair to say C and LG are worse than 2021

Trey masked some of it in the run game
JG and his quick passing will mask some of it in the passing game

Well, we're about to find out going forward. That's for sure.

It should remind you of Jimmy 2021. We have tape. No other comparison is needed. People forget, it was Deebo who saved last season, not Jimmy.

The OL was reshaped for Trey.

Id love if we just ran back prior performance but i think it is fair to say C and LG are worse than 2021

Trey masked some of it in the run game
JG and his quick passing will mask some of it in the passing game

It absolutely wasn't reshaped for Trey and you don't change an OL for a particular QB... well unless it's not going to block well and the QB is a statue.

Doh!

Our OL was reshaped for inside power runs

Most of us predicted it was for the RBs and not QB power...but we have seen a shift that started with the complete surprise pick of Banks last year
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Better pefromance today tho some of Brendels line calls were really bad. Too many unblocked assignments.

Thought Banks had a solid game. Burford was up and down. Al Woods gave him some trouble.

Key stats that stand out to me as a former lineman:

ZERO sacks allowed
189 rushing yards
TWO rushing touchdowns
18 carries for Jeff Wilson Jr., 84 yards, 4.7 average yards per carry

GRADE: OUTSTANDING

It wasn't perfect. No line ever is. But that is GREAT play for a line featuring two new guards and a new center.

Well, we're about to find out going forward. That's for sure.

Sehawks adjusted.

What was Jimmy's stats after the half?

Also Kyle lied to us: previously stated "there's no difference in the game plan between QBs." Yesterday sideline reporter asked and Kyle says he threw out 80% of the game plan.

I heard him say that too. Obviously there has to be a difference. They don't have the same skills so they can't call those run option plays with JG behind center. Probably mire passes but more of those short quick patterns across the middle.
Our run game splits against Seattle. I did not include the goal line runs.

With Trey- 7 attempts for 97 yards, 28.6% explosives (10+ yards) at 13.86 ypa.

With Jimmy- 25 attempts for 76 yards, 8.0% explosives at 3.04 ypa.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Hoping Mitchell's return mid-season helps and that Mason and TDP give us a boost.
That final drive was a f**king thing of beauty. That's how to demoralize an NFCW opponent.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Better pefromance today tho some of Brendels line calls were really bad. Too many unblocked assignments.

Thought Banks had a solid game. Burford was up and down. Al Woods gave him some trouble.

Key stats that stand out to me as a former lineman:

ZERO sacks allowed
189 rushing yards
TWO rushing touchdowns
18 carries for Jeff Wilson Jr., 84 yards, 4.7 average yards per carry

GRADE: OUTSTANDING

It wasn't perfect. No line ever is. But that is GREAT play for a line featuring two new guards and a new center.

Excellent pot billbird!

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Hoping Mitchell's return mid-season helps and that Mason and TDP give us a boost.

In all fairness, if you take away the 51 yard Deebo run, it was 7.7 ypa. Also, we did score 2 rushing TD's after Jimmy took over.

No doubt getting Mitchell back will help. I hope he doesn't lose that elite first step he has because of his knee injury.

TDP was running hard and had some decent runs early on. He was stuffed in the backfield at least twice later in the game. Deebo wasn't very efficient running the ball later in the game either. Wilson jr. was still productive even late in the game. Wilson actually had a damn good game though with a 4.7 ypc average.
Does anyone have the individual pressure stats for the o line from yesterday?
Sehawks adjusted.

What was Jimmy's stats after the half?

Also Kyle lied to us: previously stated "there's no difference in the game plan between QBs." Yesterday sideline reporter asked and Kyle says he threw out 80% of the game plan.

a coach lied about the plays he will run this upcoming season?

if you fell for that its kind of on you
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
Grade for week 2: Aaron Banks, LG, 77.7, 76 snaps

I must be terrible at evaluating oline. This was the 2nd straight week I thought he was pretty bad out there and our 2nd worse olineman.

i thought he played well

he completely demolished on that goal line TD run

people really seem to forget when Jimmy was healthy last year we were really good. After the injury thats when he started to play bad

we still ended the year #1 in NFL in yards/play and at the time we were #1 in RZ TD% we ended last year with #3

if jimmy can stay healthy we have a good chance to go to the SB
Share 49ersWebzone