LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 169 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Lets see. The whole NFC east is going to make the playoffs, the eagles also beat the s**t out of Tennessee and Minnesota, who will be the #2 seed.

But the eagles haven't played any quality opponents....

You think the Titans are good? Minn's defense is laughable. The eagles are damn good, but pointing out those wins as great? Meh
IOL needs a boost this offseason. Brendel needs to be replaced, and something has to be done with RG. Aaron Banks has been good enough to continue getting the LG reps. But man the group as a unit inside is just not good enough.
Originally posted by JDTical:
IOL needs a boost this offseason. Brendel needs to be replaced, and something has to be done with RG. Aaron Banks has been good enough to continue getting the LG reps. But man the group as a unit inside is just not good enough.

Considering they are all young may be best not to screw around with it. Burford has potential and could easily come back playing better next year. Banks and Brendal first year starting. None of them are losing us games and you can't have all pros at every position. If we roll with them next year again I only think they will get better.
Originally posted by walker807:
Considering they are all young may be best not to screw around with it. Burford has potential and could easily come back playing better next year. Banks and Brendal first year starting. None of them are losing us games and you can't have all pros at every position. If we roll with them next year again I only think they will get better.

Brendel is 30. Don't need All-Pros everywhere, but this is the weakest unit on the team IMO and where we can see the most improvement for the least investment.
  • thl408

I think Alex Mack's retirement caught Kyle unprepared, although Kyle should not have been surprised by the retirement. Kyle does put an emphasis on C so I'm pretty sure it'll get upgraded somehow. I think Brunskill > Burford at this point in time. Banks is coming along just fine.
Originally posted by walker807:

Brendel is 30. Don't need All-Pros everywhere, but this is the weakest unit on the team IMO and where we can see the most improvement for the least investment.

You need to move over 2 spaces to your right
Originally posted by tommyncal:
You need to move over 2 spaces to your right

McGlinchey is good in the run, mediocre in pass pro- I think Brendel and Brunskill/Burford are mediocre to poor at both.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Meanwhile PFF. I don't get PFF OL grades...at all.

Spencer Burford, RG, 44.4, 28 snaps
Aaron Banks, LG, 51.4, 64 snaps
Originally posted by dj43:
There is a reason the Eagles are 12-1, and it goes deeper than Jalen Hurts.

Here is a position-by-position comparison in the overall PFF ranking between Philly and the 49ers' OL.
SF--------------------Philly
LT - #1 ------------18 - of 79
RT - 34 ------------- 6 - of 79 (Arrow has been up for McGlinchey the past three games.)
LG - 38 ------------- 5 - of 87 (After a good start, Banks has been sliding down the list in recent games.)
RG - 28 ------------ 27 - of 87 (SF ranking is for Brunskill. Burford is #76.)
C - 20 -------------- 1 - 38 (Brendel has moved up from #26 about week 4.)

Though the play of the OL has been gradually on the upswing all season long, there is still room to improve. It will have to improve if we are to play in February.

After last night's game, PFF has made the following changes in ranking for the 49ers OL:
Trent Williams - is still #1 overall OT.
McGlinchey - moved up from #34 to #31 overall. Improvement in both PP and RBLK. He had a hold last night but overall a clean sheet.

Banks - dropped from #38 to #42. This continues the slide. Early in the season, he was in the low 20s. Need to turn this around.
Brunskill - moved up from #28 to #23. The unsung hero of the OL. Another UDFA find. His PP is #5 among all guards.
Burford - dropped from #76 to #78. The rookie continues to struggle. The biggest weakness is RBLK.

Brendel - moved up to #16 from #20. At one point he was #30. His RBLK has seen the largest improvement.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I watched both of them as closely as I could last night. Both struggled. Burford was just not in the right place at times.

I recorded the last broadcast last night on NFL Network. I'll rewatch it later. For now, see my post above.

I watched both of them as closely as I could last night. Both struggled. Burford was just not in the right place at times.

I recorded the last broadcast last night on NFL Network. I'll rewatch it later. For now, see my post above.

Appreciate that. It's just hard to quantify given we gave up 1 sack, Brock was virtually untouched with only 4 pressures and we ran for 170 yards.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 16, 2022 at 1:14 PM ]

Appreciate that. It's just hard to quantify given we gave up 1 sack, Brock was virtually untouched with only 4 pressures and we ran for 170 yards.

What I saw with Burford appeared to be missed assignments or just being a tick slow in getting to his man. Most of this was on running plays. When he gets to his target, his strength and athleticism take over and he usually gets the job done.

With Banks, he just misses at times.
Burford will be fine once he's at tackle in 2023. Moore and Poe compete at RG. Can even add a 5th rounder if need be.

Upgrade is needed at center.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Burford will be fine once he's at tackle in 2023. Moore and Poe compete at RG. Can even add a 5th rounder if need be.

Upgrade is needed at center.

Brock can easily see over Poe.

What I saw with Burford appeared to be missed assignments or just being a tick slow in getting to his man. Most of this was on running plays. When he gets to his target, his strength and athleticism take over and he usually gets the job done.

With Banks, he just misses at times.

I'm glad you're able to see that. I haven't sat down to watch the individual snaps so I appreciate your effort in doing so. I know how that is.
Share 49ersWebzone