There are 226 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Fans look too much into pff grades and not enough into actual production. The run game is just as good as last season and is better in some ways. We have more explosives but less homeruns. That is the only real difference.

The basic PFF stuff is only good for overall rankings and relative individual ratings.

How do you see the run game as better this year? Not debating. Just interested in your view.

First of all, the run game is averaging more yards per carry this season. Last season we had 1 rusher with over 30 or more carries who averaged 5.0+ ypc and that was Deebo, this season we have 4. We are on pace for 20 runs of 20+ yards, last season we had 14 total. We are also on pace to match 1st downs gained on the ground from last season at 130. The only statistic that looks like it might end up being better from last season is rushing TD's. We had 22 last season and we are on pace for only 17 this season.
Fans look too much into pff grades and not enough into actual production. The run game is just as good as last season and is better in some ways. We have more explosives but less homeruns. That is the only real difference.

The basic PFF stuff is only good for overall rankings and relative individual ratings.

How do you see the run game as better this year? Not debating. Just interested in your view.

First of all, the run game is averaging more yards per carry this season. Last season we had 1 rusher with over 30 or more carries who averaged 5.0+ ypc and that was Deebo, this season we have 4. We are on pace for 20 runs of 20+ yards, last season we had 14 total. We are also on pace to match 1st downs gained on the ground from last season at 130. The only statistic that looks like it might end up being better from last season is rushing TD's. We had 22 last season and we are on pace for only 17 this season.

Thanks. I appreciate all the data. I've been too busy the last couple of days to look.

Adding CMC certainly helped the run game. It feels like the passing game being more efficient this season has helped the run game as well. I recall one game while Garoppolo was still playing where the opponent (team escapes me now) started by loading the box to stop the run and Kyle went to the passing game to open up the run game. That had not been happening as much in the past.

Thanks. I appreciate all the data. I've been too busy the last couple of days to look.

Adding CMC certainly helped the run game. It feels like the passing game being more efficient this season has helped the run game as well. I recall one game while Garoppolo was still playing where the opponent (team escapes me now) started by loading the box to stop the run and Kyle went to the passing game to open up the run game. That had not been happening as much in the past.

The game you are referring to was the LAC game. I won't deny that the run game has been helped out by the passing game and that CMC has played a huge role. Crazy thing is CMC is the only rusher on the team with more than 30 carries but averaging less than 5.0 yards per.

The game you are referring to was the LAC game. I won't deny that the run game has been helped out by the passing game and that CMC has played a huge role. Crazy thing is CMC is the only rusher on the team with more than 30 carries but averaging less than 5.0 yards per.
I've been surprised at how often Kyle has used him on dive plays up the middle. Does KS think the opponent will not be looking for that play and thus catch them by surprise? If that is the case, time to change the tactic. It isn't fooling anyone.

I've been surprised at how often Kyle has used him on dive plays up the middle. Does KS think the opponent will not be looking for that play and thus catch them by surprise? If that is the case, time to change the tactic. It isn't fooling anyone.

You have to keep the defense guessing. If he is going to be out there every down than he is going to have to run those also.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Not sure what deep shots have to do with running success but OK.

You were speaking of winning formula. Hitting the open deep shots that were abundant in the NFC title game changes the winning formula.

Gotcha. If our run game is stuffed like in those losses, I don't know if the deep shots become the winning formula but they certainly can help.

If those deep shots are available, and can be executed, because the other team sells out to stop the run, it will absolutely play into a winning formula

No doubt. But the Rams didn't sell out in the NFCCG IIRC. They mirrored the 1.5g alignment. Best of both worlds against our OZ and coverage.

That's moot now though as we're really IZ/gap/power now.

So yeah, if someone sells out up front, that'll leave us with numbers and opportunities.

You have to keep the defense guessing. If he is going to be out there every down than he is going to have to run those also.

True. Kyle is willing to lose some battles to win the war. Just about every big play has come off defenses being set up by being overly keyed in on CMC one way or another.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 21, 2022 at 2:00 PM ]
No doubt. But the Rams didn't sell out in the NFCCG IIRC. They mirrored the 1.5g alignment. Best of both worlds against our OZ and coverage.

That's moot now though as we're really IZ/gap/power now.

So yeah, if someone sells out up front, that'll leave us with numbers and opportunities.

Whether they sold out or not there was open shots all game. If Brock hits those shots it will open up the run game because they'll have to account for it now.

Brock isn't having the bear fronts put against him. Not a coincidence IMO.

True. Kyle is willing to lose some battles to win the war. Just about every big play has come off defenses being set up by being overly keyed in on CMC one way or another.

Wasn't specifically referencing NFCCG, but regardless those shots were there all game and they could not be executed, had they, Niners win that game.

Wasn't specifically referencing NFCCG, but regardless those shots were there all game and they could not be executed, had they, Niners win that game.

That is what I saw as well. Should have won that game by two scores. Folks wanted to blame the o and d lines but we were playing our 4th game on the road in a row and just coming off a tough grind it out game in the frozen tundra the week before. Things were really stacked against us and the difference was we didn't execute the gimmies that were available.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Dec 21, 2022 at 3:20 PM ]

That is what I saw as well. Should have won that game by two scores. Folks wanted to blame the o and d lines but we were playing our 4th game on the road in a row and just coming off a tough grind it out game in the frozen tundra the week before. Things were really stacked against us and the difference was we didn't execute the gimmies that were available.

Agreed and that's what made that game so frustrating.

The thing frustrating in all our losses was the inability to run and stay within our winning formula esp. if defended without having to use extra numbers up front. It floods the middle zones for passes as well.

Now if you believe deeper shots were there all day and we now have a QB who can hit those, that's great! Sometimes just one of those plays can be the difference in a tight game.

But I usually look to Kyle to set those up, not so much the QB in this offense. That doesn't mean it couldn't change though.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 21, 2022 at 4:23 PM ]

The thing frustrating in all our losses was the inability to run and stay within our winning formula esp. if defended without having to use extra numbers up front. It floods the middle zones for passes as well.

Now if you believe deeper shots were there all day and we now have a QB who can hit those, that's great! Sometimes just one of those plays can be the difference in a tight game.

But I usually look to Kyle to set those up, not so much the QB in this offense. That doesn't mean it couldn't change though.

Idk about all day but there were a handful of opportunities missed that would have blown the game wide open. There were plenty of gifs and stills posted during the off season that demonstrated such. I guess you just missed them.

Yeah, last season our running backs were so depleted and the ones we were using weren't consistently effective until we started using deebo. This year we actually have running backs to rely on.

I find it more frustrating that there were game changing shots present throughout the course of that game, regardless if the run game was taken away. That's when you need to capitalize and they didn't.
Share 49ersWebzone