There are 216 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by NCommand:
What are you trying to accomplish saying this every week? That you were the one person who didn't have any concerns about the OL coming into the season and you knew this was a top 10 OL?

Or did someone bust your balls constantly with that comment?

Holding people accountable for being wrong. If you are going to predict failure have the balls to do a mea culpa. What you don't get about me or Hoov and others like us is we want to wait for data before we make our predictions. I never predict things until Ive see enough to be confident in it.

Being that you didn't say it why does it bother you?

I remember getting the same OL related nonsense shoved down our throats repeatedly. The worst was the gloating 5 min after the SB loss
It certainly could. The Rams game we couldn't run block worth s**t...15 yards in the first half. Usually the passing game follows suit off that.

Yet clearly we are seeing how the o line blocks better for the better QB. Correlation is clear just as it was when we were arguing it in the off-season.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Could be coincidence but how much influence do you think a QB has on the run game?

Run game with Jimmy and CMC. I used the LAR, LAC, ARI and NO games. I excluded CMC's first game with us because of only having 2 days of prep that week. I also excluded the MIA game because Jimmy did not finish that game.

121 rush attempts for 523 yards, 4.3 YPC, 131 YPG and averaged 1 rushing TD per game.

Run game with Brock and CMC. I used the TB, SEA, WAS and LV games. I excluded the MIA game because Brock did not start the game and neither team prepped for Brock to play QB.

123 rush attempts for 702 yards, 5.7 YPC, 176 YPG and has averaged 2 rushing TD's per game.

I think complementary football is a fair assessment here. I also think CMC and the run blocking are coming together too. Remember, CMC started out a bit rough but he's rolling now. TBF, he takes the mass majority of the early snaps when defenses are keyed in on him.

But he's starting to show the higher averages we saw with Mitchell and Mason.

With Brock, it might be less predictable on when we'll run/pass. Not sure. But no doubt I think the passing game is helping the running game. We definitely know the passing game is playing off the run game...big shots on defenses keyed in on CMC. Screen game and end around. Play Action.
Originally posted by dj43:
Could be coincidence but how much influence do you think a QB has on the run game?

Run game with Jimmy and CMC. I used the LAR, LAC, ARI and NO games. I excluded CMC's first game with us because of only having 2 days of prep that week. I also excluded the MIA game because Jimmy did not finish that game.

121 rush attempts for 523 yards, 4.3 YPC, 131 YPG and averaged 1 rushing TD per game.

Run game with Brock and CMC. I used the TB, SEA, WAS and LV games. I excluded the MIA game because Brock did not start the game and neither team prepped for Brock to play QB.

123 rush attempts for 702 yards, 5.7 YPC, 176 YPG and has averaged 2 rushing TD's per game.

The role of the QB has an impact on everything, however, I would need more than just these raw numbers to lay it off on the QB, or even a large part of it.

I say this in part because the OL has been steadily improving since the KC game. Early in the year, Brendel and Burford were a hot mess. Brendel began picking up his game about week 7. Brunskill began to spell time with Burford to allow SB to stay fresher and hopefully improve. He has although not by a wide margin. Brunskill is now the #13 ranked guard in the league! So, all those are factors that have helped the run game but are hard to link to QB play. I just don't find a strong connection.

So the raw data is enough to give you the impression that the O line has been improving but the sudden increase in efficiency and production after a QB change is not enough to lay it off on the QB? The O line looked pretty damn good in the run blocking department for the first 5 quarters of the season as well. Coincidence?
Originally posted by dj43:
The role of the QB has an impact on everything, however, I would need more than just these raw numbers to lay it off on the QB, or even a large part of it.

I say this in part because the OL has been steadily improving since the KC game. Early in the year, Brendel and Burford were a hot mess. Brendel began picking up his game about week 7. Brunskill began to spell time with Burford to allow SB to stay fresher and hopefully improve. He has although not by a wide margin. Brunskill is now the #13 ranked guard in the league! So, all those are factors that have helped the run game but are hard to link to QB play. I just don't find a strong connection.

So they just happened to be better to the tune of 1.4 ypc and 45 yards per game these last 4 weeks then the preceding four against better defensive competiton?
What are you trying to accomplish saying this every week? That you were the one person who didn't have any concerns about the OL coming into the season and you knew this was a top 10 OL?

Holding people accountable for being wrong. If you are going to predict failure have the balls to do a mea culpa. What you don't get about me or Hoov and others like us is we want to wait for data before we make our predictions. I never predict things until Ive see enough to be confident in it.

Oh so you ARE being smug and trying to 1up the fan's who voiced serious concerns about the OL coming into the season. That's what I figured.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 3, 2023 at 5:46 PM ]
Could be coincidence but how much influence do you think a QB has on the run game.

They have a ton. If Brock is starting the 2021 NFC title game it's a whole different ballgame for the Rams. It's what was argued here ad nauseum. Now you have specific data to compare. And that's WITH Brock facing the stronger defensive grouping.

QB has always mattered.

It certainly could. The Rams game we couldn't run block worth s**t...15 yards in the first half. Usually the passing game follows suit off that.

Neither could the rams
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I remember getting the same OL related nonsense shoved down our throats repeatedly. The worst was the gloating 5 min after the SB loss

"You were told" and they told you correctly every year. It was your choice to ignore those concerns that became reality.

Having no opinion until you have all the data enough to make a formal decision is a silly approach to a fan forum. Like I always tell you, it's OK to look for patterns and have an opinion. Even if it ends up not being a concern in the end. Don't be afraid.

9ers4eva does it all the time with the secondary.
Neither could the rams

True but they're 100% built to pass. We were 100% built to run to pass. They took our strength. We didn't take theirs.
Oh so you ARE being smug and trying to 1up the fan's who voiced setious concerns about the OL coming into the season. That's what I figured.

Voicing serious concerns are different than predicting doom and gloom. He predicted it was going to be a mess. It hasn't been.

I had and still have serious concerns about the secondary. It's not a mess and I'm not predicting it to be one. See the difference?

"You were told" and they told you correctly every year. It was your choice to ignore those concerns that became reality.

Having no opinion until you have all the data enough to make a formal decision is a silly approach to a fan forum. Like I always tell you, it's OK to look for patterns and have an opinion. Even if it ends up not being a concern in the end. Don't be afraid.

Again concerns about something isn't the same as predicting things.

You predicted the team would be 9-8. Are you still somehow correct because other fans were also concerned about their potential?

There is one thing I did predict. If we got better qb play the o line play would get better. EUREKA!!!! YAC has showed that clearly.

No Brock transcendence necessary.
Oh so you ARE being smug and trying to 1up the fan's who voiced setious concerns about the OL coming into the season. That's what I figured.

Voicing serious concerns are different than predicting doom and gloom. He predicted it was going to be a mess. It hasn't been.

I had and still have serious concerns about the secondary. It's not a mess and I'm not predicting it to be one. See the difference?

Ahhhh, you're talking about GM. Got it.

Yeah, I was never in the "mess" category...just that it wasn't good enough and it would cost us in the end when we needed them. I could certainly see the secondary falling into that category this year for you. And I'd probably share that with you.

Not really. Just because you say something is so doesn't make it so. These gross exaggerations about the OL over the years coupled with refusal to acknowledge a QBs role was so over the top. I think that's the point you might be missing here.
and to your 2nd point, sure I'll take this approach. act as though I'm in the know, make a bunch of nonsense takes prior to the season , then get quiet as a mouse in season when those takes aren't close to coming true, then wait until the last 5 min of a SB to tell everyone how right I was and I told you so 😂
Neither could the rams

True but they're 100% built to pass. We were 100% built to run to pass. They took our strength. We didn't take theirs.

this take is pretty stale. Anyhoo, They beat the s**t out of stafford the majority of the game despite whet you say.
remember when you also said the rams ran all over the niners that game? 🤣 good tones.
Again concerns about something isn't the same as predicting things.

You predicted the team would be 9-8. Are you still somehow correct because other fans were also concerned about their potential?

There is one thing I did predict. If we got better qb play the o line play would get better. EUREKA!!!! YAC has showed that clearly.

No Brock transcendence necessary.

Haha. You still owe me on that Seattle prediction BTW.

I can't make that claim quite yet because of the energence and dependence on CMC down this stretch. I thought the PP has been good all year. I do agree the RB has gotten better and better as the year has gone on. Is that because of Brock? I could certainly see an argument for him helping though. Less reliance on Deebo might have helped. And the fly sweeps and end arounds contributed big time to those totals.
Share 49ersWebzone