There are 164 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Mike McGlinchey is doing a very good job the past 6 or so games overall. This may of been his best game in pass pro I've seen. I have always wanted a upgrade and ripped on him but I have to give him his props.

Brendel is very good in pass pro as well.

I don't mind being worse in run blocking at the expense of being better in pass pro bc we will need to pass to beat Mahomes/Allen/Burrow
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Nah, I really haven't. That was just always your cop out. Calling me a Jimmy hater, a homer etc etc. the thing is Your takes were always just so exaggerated and steeped in bias that it always defaults to the focus of every conversation with you on this matter. For instance when folks brought up QBs who are not statues and have great pocket presence, you immediately went 0-100 and started pushing athletic, running QBs that transcend OL.
You also tend to point the finger at everyone and everything not named jimmy. It's the OL, it's the lack of rum game it's the WRs dropping passes, it's Kyle and his remedial, gutless play-calling who holds jimmy back. it's the defense. The list goes on. I did always find it odd because you constantly would say this maybe the 8th best team in the NFL that were not true contenders. But if you have a team loaded with stars coupled with the best defense in the league and the QB is playing at such a high level, why would you have them so low and not contenders? Makes no sense.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Jimmy was throwing but not completing. Also have to hit them to make teams respect it.

Don't think they need the OL to play at elite level. Good will do.

Might need Brock to play an elite game to beat Mahomes or Burrow though.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
numb ? .. there were so many vids, clips breakdowns all last year of missed plays with time to throw.. especially in the NFCCG , ridiculous

we don't need Brock to play elite.. the games was still close until jimmy s**t the bed against KC in the SB and the reg season

LOL. You 3 still are so obsessed with Jimmy...in the OL thread.

So let's talk both:

It wasn't a hard concept to grasp. If the goal was to win a Superbowl with a classic drop back immobile QB, you needed top flight PP. Period. Jimmy never had that and it cost us. He's like every other pocket QB with average ability to transcend breakdowns in PP. Brady, Garoppolo, Stafford, etc. all fold when they don't have it.

When Jimmy finally got that this year, he was top 3 in every meaningful stat coming off surgery, off the bench and with no off season...to the point many were predicting a Superbowl run. Odd huh?

Now, we have a Mr. Irrelevant QB who's more mobile coupled with really good PP. He's also top 3 now too. Odd huh?

This is what everyone wanted. No complaints here. I think we've got a real shot now esp. with the addition of CMC + health. All things we didn't have in the past.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 4, 2023 at 5:09 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
I remeber Jimmy Missing BA on a wide open play that would've been huge. Truth is we really don't know what we need Brock to do. Every year is different. Let's just hope the o line gives him time to do it.

This man gets it.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Haha. You still owe me on that Seattle prediction BTW.

I can't make that claim quite yet because of the energence and dependence on CMC down this stretch. I thought the PP has been good all year. I do agree the RB has gotten better and better as the year has gone on. Is that because of Brock? I could certainly see an argument for him helping though. Less reliance on Deebo might have helped. And the fly sweeps and end arounds contributed big time to those totals.

But CMC was there for Jimmy too. It's apples to apples. There's only one changed variable. 45 yards and 1.4 ypc is signficant. So is the increase in points per game. Against better defenses. Without Deebo for the most part.

Seattle still isn't a great team. I hope they win and Detroit does. 9ers most favorable matchup of the 3. But yah they were better than I thought they would be.

Still aren't and have never been an NFC contender.

CMC stunk early. So much so we wanted to use Mason more to open games and use him later. You could see the big difference between he and Mitchell big time. The YPC weren't close.

But Kyle didn't listen to us and stuck with him and he's gotten better and better every week. Kudos! And I think he and the OL are building chemistry and timing together every week.

That's not to say Brock hasn't helped the run game either. I'm just guessing CMC was the biggest factor for the run blocking/production. And the gadget runs like Ray-Ray's 71 yard TD.

I agree about Seattle. For sure!

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm thrilled our HC isn't listening to a bunch of fans on a message board.

I don't think Purdy is the sole reason for the increase in run production. I believe there are a number of reasons such as the O line, TE's and WR's getting in sync with their run blocking. I think that Kyle is getting into a playcalling groove. CMC is also getting more comfortable in this system.

Where Purdy comes into play is his ability to move the pocket with those naked boots and his aggressive high to low mentality. Zone coverage naturally has defenders looking at the QB's eyes. The longer he is looking down field, the further those defenders will drop back into their zones. I think we are seeing more and more man coverage calls against us as well which has a lot to do with the QB and the passing game. Which also favors the running game.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Jan 4, 2023 at 5:40 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I don't think Purdy is the sole reason for the increase in run production. I believe there are a number of reasons such as the O line, TE's and WR's getting in sync with their run blocking. I think that Kyle is getting into a playcalling groove. CMC is also getting more comfortable in this system.

Where Purdy comes into play is his ability to move the pocket with those naked boots and his aggressive high to low mentality. Zone coverage naturally has defenders looking at the QB's eyes. The longer he is looking down field, the further those defenders will drop back into their zones. I think we are seeing more and more man coverage calls against us as well which has a lot to do with the QB and the passing game. Which also favors the running game.

Great stuff. I fully agree.

I like how Kyle is using him on the move a little too. It just gives the defense another thing to pause towards.

It's very impressive we're having this much production running up inside like this too. That's not easy!

I couldn't be more impressed with how the offense has come together and how Brock and Kyle are feeding off each other.

....and Deebo and Mitchell are coming back.

PS: To your last point, Purdy has hardly even had to run because he keeps his eyes downfield and there's a guy open. The off schedule stuff, I think we're getting much better at. They used to be terrible at that because it rarely happened.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 4, 2023 at 6:10 AM ]

Yup!

Great stuff. I fully agree.

I like how Kyle is using him on the move a little too. It just gives the defense another thing to pause towards.

It's very impressive we're having this much production running up inside like this too. That's not easy!

I couldn't be more impressed with how the offense has come together and how Brock and Kyle are feeding off each other.

....and Deebo and Mitchell are coming back.

PS: To your last point, Purdy has hardly even had to run because he keeps his eyes downfield and there's a guy open. The off schedule stuff, I think we're getting much better at. They used to be terrible at that because it rarely happened.

Deebo and Mitchell coming back is why I can see us going to the SB. Being without those 2 weapons and still putting up great offensive production is insane.

As far as my last point. I wasn't referring to Purdy running. I was referring to man coverage not being as affective as zone coverage in stopping run plays in general. Our pass game has always been married to our run game and can be very difficult for defenses to decipher run or pass on playaction and RPO's. Especially in man coverage where they have their backs to the LOS.
Nah, I really haven't. That was just always your cop out. Calling me a Jimmy hater, a homer etc etc. the thing is Your takes were always just so exaggerated and steeped in bias that it always defaults to the focus of every conversation with you on this matter. For instance when folks brought up QBs who are not statues and have great pocket presence, you immediately went 0-100 and started pushing athletic, running QBs that transcend OL.
You also tend to point the finger at everyone and everything not named jimmy. It's the OL, it's the lack of rum game it's the WRs dropping passes, it's Kyle and his remedial, gutless play-calling who holds jimmy back. it's the defense. The list goes on. I did always find it odd because you constantly would say this maybe the 8th best team in the NFL that were not true contenders. But if you have a team loaded with stars coupled with the best defense in the league and the QB is playing at such a high level, why would you have them so low and not contenders? Makes no sense.
Jimmy was throwing but not completing. Also have to hit them to make teams respect it.

numb ? .. there were so many vids, clips breakdowns all last year of missed plays with time to throw.. especially in the NFCCG , ridiculous

we don't need Brock to play elite.. the games was still close until jimmy s**t the bed against KC in the SB and the reg season

So let's talk both:

It wasn't a hard concept to grasp. If the goal was to win a Superbowl with a classic drop back immobile QB, you needed top flight PP. Period. Jimmy never had that and it cost us. He's like every other pocket QB with average ability to transcend breakdowns in PP. Brady, Garoppolo, Stafford, etc. all fold when they don't have it.

When Jimmy finally got that this year, he was top 3 in every meaningful stat coming off surgery, off the bench and with no off season...to the point many were predicting a Superbowl run. Odd huh?

Now, we have a Mr. Irrelevant QB who's more mobile coupled with really good PP. He's also top 3 now too. Odd huh?

This is what everyone wanted. No complaints here. I think we've got a real shot now esp. with the addition of CMC + health. All things we didn't have in the past.
This is all fiction. There is actual film showing jimmy having time and having options to throw to but didn't. That is not the OLs fault

the meaningful stats were percentages lol, if he was top 3 in meaningful stats he would have been a shoe in for the probowl or at least talked about in when talking about the top QBs in the year

Now back to the OL, with them playing well it only helped jimmy a smidge in all his stats but helped tremendously in turnovers

now, the last pick in the draft comes in and this offense looks like a real offense. No gimmicks like having to stay In shotgun. Instead we have more Check downs, screens, throws to the outside, throws to the inside, deep shots, off schedule plays, extends plays, beats blitzes with his legs, beats blitzes with his arm, by god signaling to a WR that he's changing the first option to that WR ! all while doing this calm sometimes a little too calm under pressure.

A QB who can do this and keep the offense in a good rhythm makes it easier for the OL and easier to score points. Which we are seeing.

our OL ranks have been climbing higher now that Brock is under center. Which proves QBs can transcend OLs

So let's talk both:

Classic NC response. Gloss over everything while inserting more hyperbole in an attempt to deflect, to go along with the existing hyperbolic talking points, coupled with a lot of words and not a lot of substance…all with a hint of condescension splashed in
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jan 4, 2023 at 7:57 AM ]

So let's talk both:

This is all fiction. There is actual film showing jimmy having time and having options to throw to but didn't. That is not the OLs fault

the meaningful stats were percentages lol, if he was top 3 in meaningful stats he would have been a shoe in for the probowl or at least talked about in when talking about the top QBs in the year

Now back to the OL, with them playing well it only helped jimmy a smidge in all his stats but helped tremendously in turnovers

now, the last pick in the draft comes in and this offense looks like a real offense. No gimmicks like having to stay In shotgun. Instead we have more Check downs, screens, throws to the outside, throws to the inside, deep shots, off schedule plays, extends plays, beats blitzes with his legs, beats blitzes with his arm, by god signaling to a WR that he's changing the first option to that WR ! all while doing this calm sometimes a little too calm under pressure.

A QB who can do this and keep the offense in a good rhythm makes it easier for the OL and easier to score points. Which we are seeing.

our OL ranks have been climbing higher now that Brock is under center. Which proves QBs can transcend OLs

That is not completely true. Those awards are mostly popularity contests. The average fan only looks at accumulative stats and don't give a fig about the more important to winning efficiency stats.

So let's talk both:

That is not completely true. Those awards are mostly popularity contests. The average fan only looks at accumulative stats and don't give a fig about the more important to winning efficiency stats.

Yeah, I guess we should trade Purdy now too since he's in that same realm. Too bad. I really liked the kid.

So let's talk both:

Classic NC response. Gloss over everything while inserting more hyperbole in an attempt to deflect, to go along with the existing hyperbolic talking points, coupled with a lot of words and not a lot of substance…all with a hint of condescension splashed in

I guess this concept is still a difficult one to grasp...even now...when we're seeing the other side of that proof.

I hate to break the news to you but every QB in every game is going to miss plays or not see or take the bigger shots. Look at the 8 Brock missed last week. The 'facts' were despite that, we were still up 10 in the 4Q before the team collapsed in concert again...we've seen this theme before. Could it have been a bigger lead then? Sure. But then again, there might have been far more time back on the clock for Stafford too. Remember the Superbowl?

You ARE aware Jimmy played in this offense this year right? And they have similar numbers? This isn't even close to the same roster as last year. LOL

I have no issues with your singular focus on Jimmy but at least keep it within context.
Deebo and Mitchell coming back is why I can see us going to the SB. Being without those 2 weapons and still putting up great offensive production is insane.

As far as my last point. I wasn't referring to Purdy running. I was referring to man coverage not being as affective as zone coverage in stopping run plays in general. Our pass game has always been married to our run game and can be very difficult for defenses to decipher run or pass on playaction and RPO's. Especially in man coverage where they have their backs to the LOS.

Can't wait! We've got a legit shot, no doubt.

I gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.
Share 49ersWebzone