There are 210 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by random49er:
Giedi makes him feel wholesome again. Someone throwing you layups and agreeing with everything you say can do wonders for one's mental state. Let him have his peace of mind.

some are here for OL related football convo, others are here for the CJ
ain't hard to tell which is which
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
What's actually being childish is not being accountable for the things you say. That's what children do
lol, he's pretty fragile also.. "blocking people".. lol

this clearly is great OL football convo
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by random49er:
Giedi makes him feel wholesome again. Someone throwing you layups and agreeing with everything you say can do wonders for one's mental state. Let him have his peace of mind.

some are here for OL related football convo, others are here for the CJ
ain't hard to tell which is which

These fools are still at it? The funniest is they only talk to themselves. Now I see great OL talk and a bunch of blocked posts.

Move them to the 24/7 thread where they belong.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 12, 2024 at 10:00 AM ]
What's actually being childish is not being accountable for the things you say. That's what children do

care to comment on my OL posts ?

plus, you and NC are doing the very same thing.. with these non OL post

When NC and Geid keep lying, is it wrong to call them out ? there has to be a another side's input to complete a conversation

care to comment on my OL posts ?

plus, you and NC are doing the very same thing.. with these non OL post

When NC and Geid keep lying, is it wrong to call them out ? there has to be a another side's input to complete a conversation

Sure thing, I'll see if I can find one
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Yeah, to me, it's never been about our lack of draft capital spent.

It's the fact that Banks has been okay, and Burford has been below average, and MM was not worth a first rounder.

If we hit a home run on any of our drafted players, this OL would look a lot different.

Which is what NC never understood. It's not a about resources spent, it's about who you pick. OL can be found all over the draft, the trick is identifying them properly. It's not as easy as some make believe it is with the way guys are taught in college.

Well the odds of striking it rich - if you devote more resources to it - makes sense, at least to me. Although only Bosa, to my recollection, has really amounted to much with regards to all of ShanaLynche's high round draft picks going to defense. They've spent tons of cap space on Dee Ford, for example, and have had nothing to show for it. I think getting an elite edge rusher is almost as hard as getting an elite QB. The problem for me is if you can't draft - you have to go to the free agency route, and that can cost you later if *you can't draft.* It's a vicious descending circle if you go that route.
what is your point here

We have devoted resources
We have drafted well
We do make splash FA signing and trades

Being the top team and envied by so many front offices shows we have been doing pretty good

For sure ShanaLynch has out drafted the competition. Big example is Brock Purdy. He's as valuable as 3 first round draft picks! IF ShanaLynch can't *draft* offensive linemen (again not saying he can't, but hypothetically speaking) then he has to go to the free agency route which is expensive. If that continues - the cap structure becomes unbalanced, and maybe they can't devote as much cap space to the defensive line (as an example) which goes to my point that it's a descending spiral. Again, *if* for some reason they can't consistently draft much better on the offensive line. My hope is that the can somehow draft better offensive linemen in the future.
but you're talking as if we haven't accomplished anything with the cards we have been dealt with so far.

We all want to hit on every draft pick, expecting so is just not realistic

if you want a stud OL, you are going to need to be a team who has first dibs at picking them. If you don't take the top OL, you are definitely not going to start them over guys on this team who have been playing in the scheme already. So that pick is wait and see in two years (like the OL picks of Moore, Mannings, Poes and Zaks). That bench/project pick could have gotten you a different skill position that can play almost immediately.

Do you want to keep trading resources to get top OL ?
Do you want to draft OL that needs grooming ?
Do you sign a FA ?
Do you trade ?

Since we can't have everything we want, we sure did a fine job with what we can control
Feliciano, Pryor, Bartch are all Day 3 picks. Last year Kyle didn't even *try* for a offensive lineman day three pick, despite having 9 draft picks!

Kyle's past typical OLineman is the smaller more agile guys (usually day 3 picks or undrafted), and he's been successful with that - BUT guys like Feliciano, Pryor and Bartch are all currently much bigger guys than is Kyle's typical guys. I don't think he can continue going with day 3 picks in the draft if he wants to go more gap/power. I think he has to devote more day 2 picks - at least - towards the offensive line. I.e. more like Banks/McGlinchy level athletes vs McKivitz type athletes.
our need for TE is priority.. and still is priority. picking OL just to pick them is wasting picks. Those guys you mentioned Feli, Pryor, Bart all guys who were expendable and it's why they are not with their original teams anymore. With us drafting them doesn't guarantee they would have stayed here also

there is no size preference. it's about processing and knowing part of the scheme. If Kyle had a choice to choose between two guys that are the same in everything except for size like.. he would go for the bigger guy. but that is not always the case. Big, athletic and smart guys get picked day one, not day 3

up until now we can afford to focus on OL in higher rounds. but you know those guys are not guaranteed picks right ?
our need for TE is priority.. and still is priority. picking OL just to pick them is wasting picks. Those guys you mentioned Feli, Pryor, Bart all guys who were expendable and it's why they are not with their original teams anymore. With us drafting them doesn't guarantee they would have stayed here also

there is no size preference. it's about processing and knowing part of the scheme. If Kyle had a choice to choose between two guys that are the same in everything except for size like.. he would go for the bigger guy. but that is not always the case. Big, athletic and smart guys get picked day one, not day 3

up until now we can afford to focus on OL in higher rounds. but you know those guys are not guaranteed picks right ?

Generally I like BPA, you just hope to have a stud OL in round 1. One of my fav drafts was Anthony Davis and Iupati.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jan 12, 2024 at 10:37 AM ]
An interesting team building tactic: 2 of your first 3 picks should be in the trenches in your drafts.

Generally I like BPA, you just hope to have a stud OL in round 1. One of my fav drafts was Anthony Davis and Iupati.
We had a great opp. to pick those guys. no way we can do that when picking late in the rounds

The current strategy has been working really well. So well, that OL and other positions that had to be placed on the back burner can be strengthen now
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jan 12, 2024 at 10:43 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Well we overdrafted - in a sense - the QB position. I think about Trey as spending 3 first round draft picks on a QB three years in a row, and finally they strike it rich with Purdy (7th rounder). In other words, striking it rich by drafting Purdy is - to me - like throwing a ton of draft capital at the QB position. It finally bore some fruit in Purdy. It was intentional and well thought out. QB position is critical for keeping Kyle's job. I take the same position - in a sense - with the offensive line. If ShanaLynch want's a dominant offensive line, they will spend the draft resources to get it. Now they do have a *dominant defensive line* - why? Because they have put a considerable amount of draft capital and cap space to that position with good reason. The Defensive line is key nowadays to stopping offenses because of all the CTE rules.

My point is that *if* the 49ers *can't* stop drafting badly on the offensive line, then it can result in a vicious negative spiral where they draft more and more and spend more and more on the Offensive line with less and less results - to the detriment of the rest of the team.

Good points. It's so nice we have solved for QB, which is the toughest position to project from college to pro, imo. Now we have a golden window of opportunity, both in terms of cap, and in terms of focusing all draft assets on non QB positions. The dilemma will be do we draft, or do we flip picks for known NFL stars. Probably both. On OL I would like to see some drafted, hard to trade, can be done but not usual that a team is giving up good OL.

As NC alluded to, it's probably a combo of both draft and free agency. Free agency starts before the draft, and so it's no secret that ShanaLynch goes after DLine and OLine (in a sense) in the free agency period prior to the draft to set themselves up for the BPA type of scenario in the following draft period. As NY85 has said in the draft nerd's threads - this is a good OLIne crop, or so he thinks - and this is the time to *draft* vs getting free agents.

Finding or Drafting the kind of OLinemen that Kyle likes is not easy. He likes them fast, agile, mobile, and hostile. Then add in Size/Power and Durability. Losing Adam isn't going to help that endeavor either. So far, OLine health is good going into the playoffs for a change. No Trent Williams playing on one leg, or missing your billion dollar center to a knee injury, or having to play Mike Person at right guard.

An interesting team building tactic: 2 of your first 3 picks should be in the trenches in your drafts.
very interesting tactic when starting a team from scratch

There's always a strong argument for BPA. Hopefully that matches up with our team needs. That's ideal.

We had a great opp. to pick those guys. no way we can do that when picking late in the rounds

The current strategy has been working really well. So well, that OL and other positions that had to be placed on the back burner can be strengthen now

The hard part would be tackle. You can get one of the premier interior OL end of round 1 or round 2. If you look at SEA they took two tackles one was round 1 the other round 3. Even if you don't get a stud tackle, you can get a round 3 and play at RT, and if they are solid you can groom to slide to LT.

The hard part would be tackle. You can get one of the premier interior OL end of round 1 or round 2. If you look at SEA they took two tackles one was round 1 the other round 3. Even if you don't get a stud tackle, you can get a round 3 and play at RT, and if they are solid you can groom to slide to LT.
Today since our team is already established, that method can be gambled with. i wouldn't have any issues with that.
According to PFF Purdy was the top QB on explosive throws, but we had one of the worst pass blocking OLs in the league and Purdy was pressured on almost 1/3 of his dropbacks. Imagine how explosive the offense could be if our line could pass block.
Share 49ersWebzone