Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Yeah, to me, it's never been about our lack of draft capital spent.

It's the fact that Banks has been okay, and Burford has been below average, and MM was not worth a first rounder.

If we hit a home run on any of our drafted players, this OL would look a lot different.

Which is what NC never understood. It's not a about resources spent, it's about who you pick. OL can be found all over the draft, the trick is identifying them properly. It's not as easy as some make believe it is with the way guys are taught in college.

Well the odds of striking it rich - if you devote more resources to it - makes sense, at least to me. Although only Bosa, to my recollection, has really amounted to much with regards to all of ShanaLynche's high round draft picks going to defense. They've spent tons of cap space on Dee Ford, for example, and have had nothing to show for it. I think getting an elite edge rusher is almost as hard as getting an elite QB. The problem for me is if you can't draft - you have to go to the free agency route, and that can cost you later if *you can't draft.* It's a vicious descending circle if you go that route.
what is your point here

We have devoted resources
We have drafted well
We do make splash FA signing and trades

Being the top team and envied by so many front offices shows we have been doing pretty good

For sure ShanaLynch has out drafted the competition. Big example is Brock Purdy. He's as valuable as 3 first round draft picks! IF ShanaLynch can't *draft* offensive linemen (again not saying he can't, but hypothetically speaking) then he has to go to the free agency route which is expensive. If that continues - the cap structure becomes unbalanced, and maybe they can't devote as much cap space to the defensive line (as an example) which goes to my point that it's a descending spiral. Again, *if* for some reason they can't consistently draft much better on the offensive line. My hope is that the can somehow draft better offensive linemen in the future.
but you're talking as if we haven't accomplished anything with the cards we have been dealt with so far.

We all want to hit on every draft pick, expecting so is just not realistic

if you want a stud OL, you are going to need to be a team who has first dibs at picking them. If you don't take the top OL, you are definitely not going to start them over guys on this team who have been playing in the scheme already. So that pick is wait and see in two years (like the OL picks of Moore, Mannings, Poes and Zaks). That bench/project pick could have gotten you a different skill position that can play almost immediately.

Do you want to keep trading resources to get top OL ?
Do you want to draft OL that needs grooming ?
Do you sign a FA ?
Do you trade ?

Since we can't have everything we want, we sure did a fine job with what we can control
Feliciano, Pryor, Bartch are all Day 3 picks. Last year Kyle didn't even *try* for a offensive lineman day three pick, despite having 9 draft picks!

Kyle's past typical OLineman is the smaller more agile guys (usually day 3 picks or undrafted), and he's been successful with that - BUT guys like Feliciano, Pryor and Bartch are all currently much bigger guys than is Kyle's typical guys. I don't think he can continue going with day 3 picks in the draft if he wants to go more gap/power. I think he has to devote more day 2 picks - at least - towards the offensive line. I.e. more like Banks/McGlinchy level athletes vs McKivitz type athletes.
our need for TE is priority.. and still is priority. picking OL just to pick them is wasting picks. Those guys you mentioned Feli, Pryor, Bart all guys who were expendable and it's why they are not with their original teams anymore. With us drafting them doesn't guarantee they would have stayed here also

there is no size preference. it's about processing and knowing part of the scheme. If Kyle had a choice to choose between two guys that are the same in everything except for size like.. he would go for the bigger guy. but that is not always the case. Big, athletic and smart guys get picked day one, not day 3

up until now we can afford to focus on OL in higher rounds. but you know those guys are not guaranteed picks right ?

TE is important for Kyle's *RUN* blocking assignments. Kittle was drafted for his *run* blocking, and I think his receiving skills were a big surprise to Kyle. Juszczyk is also a TE and a good one too. Just both Kittle and Juszczk are *getting old* and so I do understand the Latu and Willis picks. They are trying to find a replacement for Juszczyk because that fullback/H-back position is key to Kyle's run offense which the entire offense is founded on. Having said that, your QB is the foundation of the *entire* team. Going forward, if Kyle doesn't protect that particular foundation I'd be more than pissed.

Look, Kyle likes his OLinemen athletic and fast because of scheme. Newsflash - that scheme is now adopted by half (or so it seems) of the NFL teams in the league. Add in the Belichick's 5 man front defensive innovations designed to stop Kyle's outside zone and Kyle *has* to change and go in a different direction. He has to get bigger and he has to, in my opinion, invest higher draft capital in the OLine to compensate for what teams are doing to stop his offensive schemes.
Originally posted by mcwoot:
According to PFF Purdy was the top QB on explosive throws, but we had one of the worst pass blocking OLs in the league and Purdy was pressured on almost 1/3 of his dropbacks. Imagine how explosive the offense could be if our line could pass block.
if they could pass block better, that pressure rate would go up
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jan 12, 2024 at 11:02 AM ]
According to PFF Purdy was the top QB on explosive throws, but we had one of the worst pass blocking OLs in the league and Purdy was pressured on almost 1/3 of his dropbacks. Imagine how explosive the offense could be if our line could pass block.

Imagine how explosive other team's offense could be if their weapons are as good as ours.

Imagine how good the warriors dynasty could be if they had a two way top caliber center.

Imagine how good the Harbaugh Niners regime could be if they had a pro bowl caliber QB.

Imagine how good.....
Originally posted by libertyforever:

Imagine how explosive other team's offense could be if their weapons are as good as ours.

Imagine how good the warriors dynasty could be if they had a two way top caliber center.

Imagine how good the Harbaugh Niners regime could be if they had a pro bowl caliber QB.

Imagine how good.....
Imagining how good >> Reality : # 1 Seed
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree 💯%. But I go back to what NY85 said, it's hard to develop OLinemen in the NFL. 49ers have chosen to let *other* teams develop them and then get them as free agents. (Feliciano, Pryor, Bartch) vs drafting them (Banks, Burford, J. Moore, Zakelj). I think you can get by with some OLine mediocrity that on the right side because of the QB's peripheral vision. But with Brock as a franchise QB and being a possible playoff team *for the foreseeable* future - I think that kind of mediocrity on the right side will be exposed in the playoffs and the Superbowl, unfortunately. Now having said that - Feliciano and McKivitz aren't mediocre, there actually decent. That still doesn't give me a lot of comfort though going into this years playoffs and possibly facing some elite DLines. We shall see.

That should indeed be the goal in year 8's off season.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
this clearly is great OL football convo

The coward blocks us then still wants to refer to us. He says nothing I will say nothing.
An interesting team building tactic: 2 of your first 3 picks should be in the trenches in your drafts.

What the Jaguars did. Didn't lead to sustained success.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
An interesting team building tactic: 2 of your first 3 picks should be in the trenches in your drafts.

What the Jaguars did. Didn't lead to sustained success.

When did the Jags do that?
When did the Jags do that?

When they started their franchise. Got the cheap qb you advocate for but it didn't last for a sustained period.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jan 12, 2024 at 11:22 AM ]

Silly idea. You just said almost 70% of picks for all 32 teams should be on the line. No rhyme,...no reason,...no research. Just saying stuff with no means to support it afterwards.

Better idea is to just build your team the best way you see fit. The tactic they've been using has us as perhaps the top NFC team for 2 yrs straight.

A good posting tactic is to stop ignoring solutions while looking for a problem.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 12, 2024 at 5:58 PM ]
TE is important for Kyle's *RUN* blocking assignments.

So Kyle came up with the idea to have TEs that can run block? And football's been around for how long? LoL

Gonna forward this post to Mike Ditka and see what he thinks.

Why are we talking about TEs blocking in the OL thread? Are RBs and WRs next?
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 12, 2024 at 6:55 PM ]
Originally posted by random49er:

So Kyle came up with the idea to have TEs that can ran block? And football's been around for how long? LoL

Some posters in here like to blame the O line for missed assignments and poor blocks executed by TE's and RB's .
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by random49er:

So Kyle came up with the idea to have TEs that can ran block? And football's been around for how long? LoL

Some posters in here like to blame the O line for missed assignments and poor blocks executed by TE's and RB's .
they also like to think we are still a bottom feeder team with no success because of OL
they also like to think we are still a bottom feeder team with no success because of OL

Ryan Pace to the rescue
Share 49ersWebzone