49ers vs. Jets at Levi's Stadium • Buy Tickets →

There are 124 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Giedi:
TE is important for Kyle's *RUN* blocking assignments.

So Kyle came up with the idea to have TEs that can ran block? And football's been around for how long? LoL

Gonna forward this post to Mike Ditka and see what he thinks.

Why are we talking about TEs blocking in the OL thread? Are RBs and WRs next?

Some posters in here like to blame the O line for missed assignments and poor blocks executed by TE's and RB's .

lol you guys need to ease up at bit at times...
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

I just checked in and saw a string of 7 blocked posts. It must be gossip girl hour? I'm sure there was great discussion about the OL.

LOL

Anyway, back to the OL. From the HP article. You gotta appreciate how special it's been from Staley to Williams. We may never see it again.

"Me and Trent had an Airbnb down there at the time," Samuel continued. "And I would just be chilling, walking around the house, playing the game or whatever, and I see Trent in there watching film 24/7. So I came in there one day, and I'm just like, 'Bro, let me just see what you're watching.'"
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 13, 2024 at 6:33 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Anyway, back to the OL. From the HP article.

"Me and Trent had an Airbnb down there at the time," Samuel continued. "And I would just be chilling, walking around the house, playing the game or whatever, and I see Trent in there watching film 24/7. So I came in there one day, and I'm just like, 'Bro, let me just see what you're watching.'"

Imagine Jimmy having Trent's drive?

Great players dont become great by accident or chance.

This is a good start actually. Maybe veiled and unauthentic, but good nonetheless.

Now let's see how long we can stay away from sanctimonious tier/rankings posts where only one poster's opinionated content matters and nobody elses.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 13, 2024 at 6:28 AM ]
Great stuff right here on trench matchups for the playoffs (mismatches, best matchups) and current rankings on talent+ going into the playoffs.

This is the highest the 49ers have been ranked among the OL going into the playoffs during the ShanaLynch era. Par for course for the DL.

Let's see how it shakes out in the end:

DL Rankings – Playoffs
1. Cowboys
2. 49ers
3. Steelers
4. Browns
5. Chiefs
6. Eagles
7. Packers
8. Ravens
9. Texans
10. Lions
11. Rams
12. Bills
13. Bucs
14. Dolphins

OL Rankings – Playoffs
1. Eagles
2. Lions
3. Cowboys
4. Bucs
5. Texans
6. Chiefs
7. 49ers
8. Ravens
9. Bills
10. Rams
11. Packers
12. Browns
13. Dolphins
14. Steelers

Biggest Wild Card DL > OL Mismatches
Cowboys DL (1st) > Packers OL (11th)Chiefs DL (5th) > Dolphins OL (13th)Texans DL (9th) > Browns OL (14th)

Biggest Wild Card OL > DL Mismatches
Eagles OL (1st) > Bucs DL (13th)

I took it a step further and put together the aggregate average ranks and its pretty telling...damn near matches real-world playoff seedings, W-L records, etc.

Aggregate Rankings | Playoff Seeding | Record
1. Cowboys 3. (2) | 2 | 12-5
6. Eagles 1. (3.5) | 5 | 11-6
2. 49ers 7. (4.5) | 1 | 12-5
5. Chiefs 6. (5.5) | 3 | 11-6
10. Lions 2. (6) | 3 | 12-5
9. Texans 5. (7) | 4 | 10-7
8. Ravens 8. (8) | 1 | 13-4
4. Browns 12. (8) | 5 | 11-6
13. Bucs 4. (8.5) | 4 | 9-8
3. Steelers 14. (8.5) | 7 | 10-7
7. Packers 11. (9) | 7 | 9-8
11. Rams 10. (10.5) | 6 | 10-6
12. Bills 9. (10.5) | 2 | 11-6
14. Dolphins 13. (13.5) | 6 | 11-6

What is crazy is that at the beginning of the year, it was pretty well conceded the AFC >>>>>>>> NFC teams.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 13, 2024 at 8:02 AM ]

I just checked in and saw a string of 7 blocked posts. It must be gossip girl hour? I'm sure there was great discussion about the OL.

LOL

Anyway, back to the OL. From the HP article. You gotta appreciate how special it's been from Staley to Williams. We may never see it again.

Such a fragile child, I hope he gets help ^^

This is a good start actually. Maybe veiled and unauthentic, but good nonetheless.

Now let's see how long we can stay away from sanctimonious tier/rankings posts where only one poster's opinionated content matters and nobody elses.

The answer would be one post

🤣..but you are right, although he brings a lot of this on himself
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jan 13, 2024 at 9:05 AM ]
Someone needs to vet those rankings that were posted since he has a history of making things up and cherry picking his sources that he doesn't even read himself.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Someone needs to vet those rankings that were posted since he has a history of making things up and cherry picking his sources that he doesn't even read himself.
you mean playoff rankings nearly match up to playoff seedings.. the foresight !

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

The answer would be one post

Barely 30 minutes

Aggregate Rankings | Playoff Seeding | Record
1. Cowboys 3. (2) | 2 | 12-5
6. Eagles 1. (3.5) | 5 | 11-6
2. 49ers 7. (4.5) | 1 | 12-5
5. Chiefs 6. (5.5) | 3 | 11-6
10. Lions 2. (6) | 3 | 12-5
9. Texans 5. (7) | 4 | 10-7
8. Ravens 8. (8) | 1 | 13-4
4. Browns 12. (8) | 5 | 11-6
13. Bucs 4. (8.5) | 4 | 9-8
3. Steelers 14. (8.5) | 7 | 10-7
7. Packers 11. (9) | 7 | 9-8
11. Rams 10. (10.5) | 6 | 10-6
12. Bills 9. (10.5) | 2 | 11-6
14. Dolphins 13. (13.5) | 6 | 11-6

What is crazy is that at the beginning of the year, it was pretty well conceded the AFC >>>>>>>> NFC teams.

In b4 Giedi agrees, but, end of the year Rankings are "Opinion". The opinions is solely based on the records (i.e., the outcome of games) to begin with.

The Playoff seedings are then based on the outcomes.

How does one not see how CIRCULAR this is?

There is no "eureka" moment here, and this stuff means absolutely zilch. Completely nothing. There is no amazing moment where the rankings really "meant" something and determined the outcomes or whatever.

Now if you have some PRESEASON Rankings that were predictive....please share.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 13, 2024 at 10:41 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mcwoot:
According to PFF Purdy was the top QB on explosive throws, but we had one of the worst pass blocking OLs in the league and Purdy was pressured on almost 1/3 of his dropbacks. Imagine how explosive the offense could be if our line could pass block.

That should indeed be the goal in year 8's off season.

Agree that *Bigger* OLinemen can pass protect better. Kyle will have to go big on the OLines as teams (in general) will go small to copy his system. Two benefits - these are NFL level athletes. Generally speaking they can do both zone and gap blocking. The question is how good relatively speaking to the athletes defending against them.

I think a bigger OLine doesnt mean *less* outside zone runs, but rather a better balance between the two systems. You get better pass protection because (generally speaking) bigger bodies can anchor better against pass rushers, you will get *much* better at gap/power blocking, at the price of a diminished outside zone run blocking. Two for the price of one, in a sense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

LOL

I think you will see more. Kyle loves the run game (I think) a bit more than the passing game. His run schemes are so intricate compared to most other teams. I love how he uses misdirection to get good blocking angles against the DLine for those explosive *run* plays.

I love how he uses the TE as another smaller more mobile offensive lineman to double team at the point of attack - to make up for the fact that his offensive linemen are generally smaller than most teams.
Great stuff right here on trench matchups for the playoffs (mismatches, best matchups) and current rankings on talent+ going into the playoffs.

This is the highest the 49ers have been ranked among the OL going into the playoffs during the ShanaLynch era. Par for course for the DL.

OL Rankings – Playoffs
1. Eagles
2. Lions
3. Cowboys
4. Bucs
5. Texans
6. Chiefs
7. 49ers

7th is the highest? Well....this is looks to be an outright lie...just looking @ the year we made it to the Super Bowl. The 1st link that popped up while fact-checking (I know that is frowned upon by your clique and all) produced:

https://brooklynbeat.nyc/ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-for-the-2019-season/

If I were to continue to find other sources, I'm sure I'd find more right in that range of 7 or above, as this one says. Because,...opinion.

The reason you are again willing to make things up here is that you are setting up a backdoor/escape just in case we win it all this year with a TOP QB.

If we lose, it is because we didn't have a Top 2 (or 3, or 4, u will adjust as needed) OLine.

If we win, it is because of the fabrication about being ranked 7th for the 1st time in forever, and how this ranking was the key difference in everything. So, technically, you're still right.

I mean look....I cant wait for this. The moment the dishonesty stops,...we can all stop and discuss how our OLine looks now and "will look" next year.

I mean viewing dishonest things (see above) and ignoring it day in, day out in a thread that's here to exchange information just wastes the thread anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone