LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 149 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
The difference in the game was 2 things for me. 1) KC was dedicated to running the ball. They ran the ball 34 times while MIA only ran it 18 times. 2) When pressured, Mahomes performed better than Tua. In terms of protecting the ball, 1st down rate as well as YPA.

It's what Mahomes does. Instead that's spun to giving all the credit to the O line.

This C.J. Stroud kid is the real deal as well. Going to be a problem in the NFC for years to come.

Demeco got lucky.

Both games yesterday were dictated by QB play in a deciding fashion.

Maybe it won't be the same today.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 14, 2024 at 10:36 AM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
This C.J. Stroud kid is the real deal as well. Going to be a problem in the NFC for years to come.

Demeco got lucky.

Same team from last year just switched their coach and QB and went from being a laughingstock to the 2nd round of playoffs. All without 2 of their "elite talents" highly drafted for their OL. They literally have the 9ers O line right now, an elite LT, a solid guard and some guys who are up and down.

What a difference a QB makes. As the 9ers have seen firsthand as well.
The difference in the game was 2 things for me. 1) KC was dedicated to running the ball. They ran the ball 34 times while MIA only ran it 18 times. 2) When pressured, Mahomes performed better than Tua. In terms of protecting the ball, 1st down rate as well as YPA.

It's what Mahomes does. Instead that's spun to giving all the credit to the O line.

Demeco got lucky.

Maybe it won't but we'll see. For me it comes down to which defense can generate the most pressure vs which QB can perform the best under pressure. It is no coincindence that the QB's that performed the best under pressure were the same QB's that came away with a win yesterday.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Jan 14, 2024 at 10:43 AM ]
Maybe it won't but we'll see. For me it comes down to which defense can generate the most pressure vs which QB can perform the best under pressure. It is no coincindence that the QB's that performed the best under pressure were the same QB's that came away with a win yesterday.

Thats generally the difference maker. Something you've shown over and over again with numbers.

All the independent research is very much appreciated.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Pressure rate allowed

MIA- 28.3%
KC- 34.9%

Rushing yards per attempt

MIA- 4.2
KC- 4.3

Where is the evidence for KC dominating in the trenches?

They weren't, not from what I saw.

Not everyone watched it because it was on peacock…which is hilarious when they comment on how the trenches played.

Yup. I think anyone who watched the game would agree
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Yup. I think anyone who watched the game would agree

You cracked the code too Hoov.
QB under pressure efficiency stats

Tagovailoa- 23.1% 1stD, 0.0% TD, 7.7% INT, 15.4% sack, 1.7 passer rating.
Mahomes- 33.3% 1stD, 0.0% TD, 0.0% INT, 0.0% sack, 52.7 passer rating.

Flacco- 28.6% 1stD, 0.0% TD, 4.8% INT, 19.0% sack, 51.3 passer rating.
Stroud- 50.0% 1stD, 0.0% TD, 0.0% INT, 0.0% sack, 116.7 passer rating.

I already gave pressure rates for the dolphins vs chiefs game but it was 28.3% for Tua and 34.9% for Mahomes. In the other game Flacco was pressured on 41.4% of his dropbacks and Stroud was pressured on 38.1% of his dropbacks. So its not like one QB was being pressured at a much higher rate than their opponent in either game.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Jan 14, 2024 at 11:03 AM ]
QB under pressure efficiency stats

Tagovailoa- 23.1% 1stD, 0.0% TD, 7.7% INT, 15.4% sack, 1.7 passer rating.
Mahomes- 33.3% 1stD, 0.0% TD, 0.0% INT, 0.0% sack, 52.7 passer rating.

Flacco- 28.6% 1stD, 0.0% TD, 4.8% INT, 19.0% sack, 51.3 passer rating.
Stroud- 50.0% 1stD, 0.0% TD, 0.0% INT, 0.0% sack, 116.7 passer rating.

I already gave pressure rates for the dolphins vs chiefs game but it was 28.3% for Tua and 34.9% for Mahomes. In the other game Flacco was pressured on 41.4% of his dropbacks and Stroud was pressured on 38.1% of his dropbacks. So its not like one QB was being pressured at a much higher rate than their opponent in either game.

Looks like the 21 NFC title game. Same argument recycled.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm not arguing with anyone...as usual, just bringing you the info. Do what you will with it.

That info is from Brandon Thorn and TrenchWarfare heading into the playoffs; of which I've been posting for ages, even pre season, weekly and heading into the playoffs this year for you.

The games clearly proved that accurate if you really watched the trenches and not just the QB (or at least reviewed what affected that QB and running game). Miami has a lot of work to do on both lines.

Is the term, "You need both (OL+QB playing at a tier 1 level)" being auto-deleted from every single one of my posts? Either that or a handful of recipients are omitting half of the balance/formula and/or only retaining half of it because we're in the OL thread? It's the oddest thing to me. Ha

lol so I don't watch the "trenches" ? bro I could name damn near every OL that's in the playoffs. The QB and scheme changed that offense in Texas more than anything.

With a healthy OL Miami is doing just fine. Again they were so banged up on both sides of the ball. KC's OTs are liabilities NOT a strength of that team.

Their strength on D is Chris Jones, their corners and scheme.

that game was more about the weather and QB play than anything.

Did you watch the game last night? It was over after the first drive. Chiefs owned the LOS.

You don't think injuries factored into BT's rankings coming into the playoffs? You don't think Tua's fastest TTT isn't factored in? Texans? Browns had nothing up front...a defense that beat us up front. Have you ever NOT pivoted to anything and everything else?

Just recognize you need both and both trenches and QB's won last night. This isn't a crusade to say the trenches are more important than a QB. It's recognition on how they work together...as predicted.

It's just an odd stance to take to not recognize the winning teams won in the trenches.
Must've missed the Chiefs owning the LoS when Tua threw that pick with perfect protection.

Must've missed the Chiefs owning the LoS when Tua threw that pick with perfect protection.

You aren't the one who missed anything. It's beyond me how someone who did not watch the game can lecture others, who watched the game, on what happened . Anyone who watched the game knows how that game was won.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jan 14, 2024 at 12:40 PM ]
Cowboys O line didn't get the memo that Brandon Thorn loves them.
Cowboys O line didn't get the memo that Brandon Thorn loves them.

Tier 1 OL,...a QB with MVP votes,...this game was over for Green Bay before it started.

Oh...wait...
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 14, 2024 at 3:07 PM ]
Game's not over but how's that aggregate score checkin out?
Game's not over but how's that aggregate score checkin out?

Clearly the Packers O line is the difference
Share 49ersWebzone