George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 172 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I mean according to BT, that DAL O line is atleast tier 2 right? Then you add in that Dak was awarded 2nd team All-Pro. That means DAL has the O line + the QB and lost to a 7th seed team that barely made it into the playoffs. Shouldn't that be enough to debunk the theory you need both? How about you need a QB, a defense and a coach capable of getting you there?

That is the far superior formula.

I am pretty sure this has been the formula since before I was born.
I mean according to BT, that DAL O line is atleast tier 2 right? Then you add in that Dak was awarded 2nd team All-Pro. That means DAL has the O line + the QB and lost to a 7th seed team that barely made it into the playoffs. Shouldn't that be enough to debunk the theory you need both? How about you need a QB, a defense and a coach capable of getting you there?

not if you looked at those OL tier rankings starting from SB 1
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Are you being sarcastic or do you really have O line rankings going back to the 60's?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
To be fair a great o line can elevate a good or mediocre qb but also expose a not so good qb as well. I think Dallas should move on from dak. He ain't it.

Perfect example that even if you have tier 1 trench play, you can't transcend a poor QB
Funny that we have been saying this for 7 years.. but now NC thinks he's been saying it for 7 years

what a joke

Are you being sarcastic or do you really have O line rankings going back to the 60's?
Sorry it was my attempt as an impressionist
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jan 15, 2024 at 9:13 AM ]

Sorry it was my attempt as a impressionist

I got you.
Funny that we have been saying this for 7 years.. but now NC thinks he's been saying it for 7 years

what a joke

Next it will be boy Brock sure makes this OL look better.

what a joke

Next it will be boy Brock sure makes this OL look better.
lol
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jan 15, 2024 at 9:31 AM ]

what a joke

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Let's see how TrenchWarfare and Brandon Thorn are doing so far.

TW/BT = 3-1 so far. We've had some amazing tier 1 QB play to go with it too. The only loss is Dallas but TW evaluates trench play, not QB (Jimmy Garoppolo 2.0) play in this exercise but I'd still give the edge to the Packers overall. They played their ass off.

You need both.

Let's see what tonight brings.

Aggregate | Playoff Seeding | Record
1. Cowboys 3. (2) | 2 | 12-5 - Eliminated
6. Eagles 1. (3.5) | 5 | 11-6
2. 49ers 7. (4.5) | 1 | 12-5
5. Chiefs 6. (5.5) | 3 | 11-6
10. Lions 2. (6) | 3 | 12-5
9. Texans 5. (7) | 4 | 10-7
8. Ravens 8. (8) | 1 | 13-4
4. Browns 12. (8) | 5 | 11-6 - Eliminated
13. Bucs 4. (8.5) | 4 | 9-8
3. Steelers 14. (8.5) | 7 | 10-7
7. Packers 11. (9) | 7 | 9-8
11. Rams 10. (10.5) | 6 | 10-6 - Eliminated
12. Bills 9. (10.5) | 2 | 11-6
14. Dolphins 13. (13.5) | 6 | 11-6 - Eliminated

Just based on trench talent+, Eagles and Steelers should have the edge. Let's see how it pans out and how their QB's play.

It was a totally unexpected win for Green bay, in my own mind, for sure. I did not expect Dallas to be destroyed like that. Makes sense though, because McCarthy never really does have a good run game. He does token runs and is a pass happy head coach, that went into the teeth of that pretty good passing defense of the Packers. I think because of that Dallas is a bad matchup for a team like Green bay. Anyway, stoked that we play green bay without Aaron Rodgers. Love (I think) still has a way to go to be a top echelon QB. We shall see.

Green bay's OLine looked impressive in that Dallas game.

Originally posted by Giedi:
It was a totally unexpected win for Green bay, in my own mind, for sure. I did not expect Dallas to be destroyed like that. Makes sense though, because McCarthy never really does have a good run game. He does token runs and is a pass happy head coach, that went into the teeth of that pretty good passing defense of the Packers. I think because of that Dallas is a bad matchup for a team like Green bay. Anyway, stoked that we play green bay without Aaron Rodgers. Love (I think) still has a way to go to be a top echelon QB. We shall see.

Looked like the 9ers O line in October vs them.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Well, yes, generally - but turnovers make a big difference in the playoffs. Roast Dak made two pick sixes and that will kill pretty much any possible wins. Personally, as much as I like the concept of the top OLine plus a top QB combo having a good probability to win games - I think even a crappy team can beat a super bowl teams given enough turnovers. Ravens lost a lot of their games because - even though they had the superior talent - in most of those games they lost - they turned the ball over multiple times. TWO pick sixes on Dallas is (in a sense) as much a possible 30 point swing.
  • Cosmo
What is the overall health of the O line going into this game?
Well, yes, generally - but turnovers make a big difference in the playoffs. Roast Dak made two pick sixes and that will kill pretty much any possible wins. Personally, as much as I like the concept of the top OLine plus a top QB combo having a good probability to win games - I think even a crappy team can beat a super bowl teams given enough turnovers. Ravens lost a lot of their games because - even though they had the superior talent - in most of those games they lost - they turned the ball over multiple times. TWO pick sixes on Dallas is (in a sense) as much a possible 30 point swing.

What bad QB play does no matter the talent of the OL.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Looked like the 9ers O line in October vs them.

Agree, they did indeed. And they should, considering Laflear and Shanahan pretty much operate the same zone run scheme. Green Bay won because they are the better team - for sure, and as much as I do agree the 49ers being a 10 point favorites, I still think Green Bay is plenty dangerous as a team. Maybe even more dangerous than a Dallas/Rams team.
Share 49ersWebzone