LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 147 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Cosmo:
What is the overall health of the O line going into this game?

Everyone should be good to go as far as I know.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Well, yes, generally - but turnovers make a big difference in the playoffs. Roast Dak made two pick sixes and that will kill pretty much any possible wins. Personally, as much as I like the concept of the top OLine plus a top QB combo having a good probability to win games - I think even a crappy team can beat a super bowl teams given enough turnovers. Ravens lost a lot of their games because - even though they had the superior talent - in most of those games they lost - they turned the ball over multiple times. TWO pick sixes on Dallas is (in a sense) as much a possible 30 point swing.

What bad QB play does no matter the talent of the OL.
Agree, Roast Dak played like an atrocious 7th round rookie QB in the Green Bay game. Good OLine play and good QB play almost has an underling bias - and that bias being no turnovers. Again, you can have a super bowl talent level team, but turn it over two times and have those turnovers be a pick six's, and 9 times out of 10, that super bowl team is going to lose.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Give NC credit on one thing, Dak did look like Jimmy G today. Wonder if Cowboy fans are blaming their O line.

I'm not sure if I have ever seen Jimmy pad stats on like that during an ugly loss.

I've seen bad Jimmy play - specially when he had that thumb and shoulder injury at the same time.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Give NC credit on one thing, Dak did look like Jimmy G today. Wonder if Cowboy fans are blaming their O line.

I'm not sure if I have ever seen Jimmy pad stats on like that during an ugly loss.

To be fair a great o line can elevate a good or mediocre qb but also expose a not so good qb as well. I think Dallas should move on from dak. He ain't it.

Well when comparing him to Brock, yes for sure - he ain't it.

Agree on a good OLine elevating a QB. It also helps a mediocre RB elevate his play also. Personally, a good OLine, a good RB, and a good QB -- between the three of them - the elevation can be *more* than the given talent level expected. I think you can see that with Green Bay dominating the Cowboys that way. There is a synergy of the sum being greater than the whole - between those three positions.
I would remiss to not point out 4 of the 5 Packers OL starters are day 3 picks. Even if Bahktiari was healthy he's a 4th rounder.

You can find OL talent all over the draft. Thats where the 9ers must be better. Identifying the talent, not necessarily using the higher resources.
I would remiss to not point out 4 of the 5 Packers OL starters are day 3 picks. Even if Bahktiari was healthy he's a 4th rounder.

You can find OL talent all over the draft. Thats where the 9ers must be better. Identifying the talent, not necessarily using the higher resources.

yes and no

typically there are 2-3 OT/draft that are head and shoulders above everyone and these are the guys that turn out to be the elite OT the issue is they always go in top 10 if not top 15.

Outside those guys, i agree its way more of a crapshoot and you can grab one almost anywhere outside those first-round guys there isn't much of a difference and its more about scheme/skillset you prefer

this year i would say we are lucky they are 4 of those OT

2 blue chip guys that will go top 10 (Alt and Fashanu) then another 2 guys that will go top 15-20 (Latham and Fuaga)
[ Edited by ritz126 on Jan 15, 2024 at 1:30 PM ]
Originally posted by ritz126:
yes and no

typically there are 2-3 OT/draft that are head and shoulders above everyone and these are the guys that turn out to be the elite OT the issue is they always go in top 10 if not top 15.

Outside those guys, i agree its way more of a crapshoot and you can grab one almost anywhere outside those first-round guys there isn't much of a difference and its more about scheme/skillset you prefer

this year i would say we are lucky they are 4 of those OT

2 blue chip guys that will go top 10 (Alt and Fashanu) then another 2 guys that will go top 15-20 (Latham and Fuaga)

Elite OL talent? sure. Hard to find elite talent outside the top 15 at most positions. But you can find OL talent throughout. Pack have been doing it for a decade.

Good chance half those top 4 guys end up busting too. OL has trended like all the other offensive positions, a bit of a crapshoot.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jan 15, 2024 at 1:32 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Feliciano and McKivitz are day three guys too, I think. That's what is on the current 49ers right side. Brendel being undrafted. So, I think the 49ers can definitely find talent without using day one picks. The problem I have with that approach is Trent Williams. You have to get first round level talent on that left tackle spot. I.e. guys like Trent (can run like a gazelle and hit like a Mack truck) aren't available in day three generally. Hitting on a guy like Trent in day three is not much better odds wise than hitting on a Brock Purdy in day three.
Feliciano and McKivitz are day three guys too, I think. That's what is on the current 49ers right side. Brendel being undrafted. So, I think the 49ers can definitely find talent without using day one picks. The problem I have with that approach is Trent Williams. You have to get first round level talent on that left tackle spot. I.e. guys like Trent (can run like a gazelle and hit like a Mack truck) aren't available in day three generally. Hitting on a guy like Trent in day three is not much better odds wise than hitting on a Brock Purdy in day three.

Packers didn't with Bahktiari for years. It all depends on the player. You increase your odds by using one on a high pick but theres no guarantee.

Zach Tom is a far better player right now than Evan Neal. It'll be about the player.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jan 15, 2024 at 1:59 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Packers didn't with Bahktiari for years. It all depends on the player. You increase your odds by using one on a high pick but theres no guarantee.

Zach Tom is a far better player right now than Evan Neal. It'll be about the player.

Agree 💯%, it's all about the player. 3 number 1 picks for Trey lance and a 7th rounder is the starting QB for the 49ers. It is about the player and you just hope 49ers will hit on players more than they miss on their draft spot. Good news is that the 49ers have a decent track record in drafting and that if they do focus on the Offensive line this year - there is a good chance they will hit more than miss in this years strong crop of offensive linemen.

Agree 💯%, it's all about the player. 3 number 1 picks for Trey lance and a 7th rounder is the starting QB for the 49ers. It is about the player and you just hope 49ers will hit on players more than they miss on their draft spot. Good news is that the 49ers have a decent track record in drafting and that if they do focus on the Offensive line this year - there is a good chance they will hit more than miss in this years strong crop of offensive linemen.
of course they will hit, but are you giving up on developing the picks/depth we have ? Are you saying they won't be great later ?

If we pick more OL, they will need to sit and develop also. Will you continue this talk next year after OL is picked and needs to sit? Just saying stuff like this is not a simple task as these OL picks are long run gambles and it also takes away from another position.

I'm not saying OL isn't valuable, but they are big gambles who will mostly likely sit the first year.

I've seen bad Jimmy play - specially when he had that thumb and shoulder injury at the same time.

He didn't pad his stats in garbage time in those games like Dak did yesterday.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

of course they will hit, but are you giving up on developing the picks/depth we have ? Are you saying they won't be great later ?

If we pick more OL, they will need to sit and develop also. Will you continue this talk next year after OL is picked and needs to sit? Just saying stuff like this is not a simple task as these OL picks are long run gambles and it also takes away from another position.

I'm not saying OL isn't valuable, but they are big gambles who will mostly likely sit the first year.

We need to be actively looking for TW replacement in the next year or two.

He didn't pad his stats in garbage time in those games like Dak did yesterday.
what was bad with the supposed injuries to jimmy.. it didn't affect his normal play at all
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

IF you have a better player than another, in a sense you do give up on that player. Take Trey Lance, they were willing to let him go because they had a better player. They let McGlinchy and Laken go because the were able to get better players in their place. What is important is taking the shot at improving the squad, and to a certain extent, they failed to do that last year despite 9 picks. 9 Picks and *no day three* offensive line picks. That's inexplicable to me other than the fact that they prefer to get their OLinemen in free agency. The problem with that is of course, the one year rental issues. No guarantee they can retain Feliciano or Pryor - for cheap, the way they can retain Banks and Burford for cheap.

One reason is simply Brock Purdy. You have to protect your franchise QB as best as possible and avoid the Andrew Luck early retirement situation. Unfortunately their track record for drafting defensive linemen versus offensive linemen is clear doesn't give me complete confidence they will do their best to protect their franchise QB in next years draft. I hope I'm wrong.
Share 49ersWebzone