LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 190 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by random49er:
This "fortress" stuff is a complete after-the-fact fabrication based on 1 game. At least, according to Brandon Thorn, we've been told.

He had them as the 11th Overall "Postseason/Playoff" OLine overall....and had us as 5th overall.

But a game where Brock was off and things looked ugly and now the 11th overall OL is our new 'barometer."

Emotion doesnt equal sound analysis.

They haven't given up a sack in two games against Dallas and the 49ers and have only given up two sacks over their last five games total.

With all due respect to Thorn, their OL has played incredible considering that they had to install a new left tackle after the season started and had a lot of moving pieces overall. They draft OL well and develop guys the right way.

I agree. Coming into the playoffs, Thorn had both the Packers (7th) and Rams (10th) low IMHO. I thought both should have been higher because they could run block and stonewall in PP against tier 1 DL. He had them ascending by the end of the year but not high enough going in. But like I said, I don't watch every single snap and stack them up. LOL
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
While we have CMC, who can run with little there, I'd go for a better pass protecting O line.

Bingo. And that needs to extend to unit PP. To the TE's, RB's, FB, etc. PP needs to be the primary focus at this point for better balance for moments like we see in the playoffs.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Kevan Barlow when asked how many of the upcoming picks in the draft should be O linemen? - "all of them".

The goal should be to build a fortress OL like Green Bay has. Love had forever to throw on a lot of their passing plays.

This "fortress" stuff is a complete after-the-fact fabrication based on 1 game. At least, according to Brandon Thorn, we've been told.

He had them as the 11th Overall "Postseason/Playoff" OLine overall....and had us as 5th overall.

But a game where Brock was off and things looked ugly and now the 11th overall OL is our new 'barometer."

Emotion doesnt equal sound analysis.

Lolz
tell me you don't watch the games without telling me you don't watch the games..

try pushing the keyboard aside and watch a game now and then lmao

LOL. Not the sharpest tools in this shed.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Kevan Barlow when asked how many of the upcoming picks in the draft should be O linemen? - "all of them".

The goal should be to build a fortress OL like Green Bay has. Love had forever to throw on a lot of their passing plays.

How many 1st rounders on their O line?

5. All top 3 picks. LOL

lol. Even better than the Eagles.

Much better. Can't win unless you have 5 All pro's like they have. OL >>>>> QB. Haha.
DL/OL Aggregate | Playoff Seeding | Record
1. Cowboys 3. (2) | 2 | 12-5 - Eliminated
6. Eagles 1. (3.5) | 5 | 11-6 - Eliminated
2. 49ers 7. (4.5) | 1 | 12-5
5. Chiefs 6. (5.5) | 3 | 11-6
10. Lions 2. (6) | 3 | 12-5
9. Texans 5. (7) | 4 | 10-7 - Eliminated
8. Ravens 8. (8) | 1 | 13-4
4. Browns 12. (8) | 5 | 11-6 - Eliminated
13. Bucs 4. (8.5) | 4 | 9-8
3. Steelers 14. (8.5) | 7 | 10-7 - Eliminated
7. Packers 11. (9) | 7 | 9-8 - Eliminated
11. Rams 10. (10.5) | 6 | 10-6 - Eliminated
12. Bills 9. (10.5) | 2 | 11-6
14. Dolphins 13. (13.5) | 6 | 11-6 - Eliminated

49ers OL #7 vs. #7 Packers DL (Even)
49ers DL #2 vs. #11 Packers OL (49ers big edge)

No doubt who won the trenches last night. That's very concerning as a 9er fan. Fully rested and healthy too.

As to tonight's trench matchups, Chiefs and Lions should have big edges.

Overall it's mostly shaping out how you'd expect in the trenches. 7 of the bottom 9 already eliminated: might be 9 of 9 after tonight. TO's continue to transcend good and bad trench play.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 21, 2024 at 6:21 AM ]

No doubt who won the trenches last night. That's very concerning as a 9er fan. Fully rested and healthy too.

Overall it's mostly shaping out how you'd expect in the trenches. 7 of the bottom 9 already eliminated.

Garbage take. You have disagreed with everything Thorn "built up" regarding our game immensely,....but this chart thing was dead in the water after round 1......

....and you can't somehow revive what is already dead.

All the QBs remaining except for Purdy were round 1 QBs,....and QB play was the separator in both games yesterday.

Line play is great to look at but any honest review of the game clearly shows how many opportunities Purdy had to make plays. They were literally back after back. He made several plays when they counted the most, however.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 21, 2024 at 5:46 AM ]
This is a spot the packers have invested draft capital on and last night it showed. The 49ers need to do the same this year, add a tackle and guard/center within the first four picks.
Originally posted by steiber:
This is a spot the packers have invested draft capital on and last night it showed. The 49ers need to do the same this year, add a tackle and guard/center within the first four picks.
We hope

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
F it draft 9 oline and 3 secondary. 3 should hit. Probably all secondary too.

LOL. And make Foerster open full competitions and not just award dudes the starting roles before competition.

Yup, give Foerster some talent vs some lemons. I'd love for a Trent Williams 2.0 on the right side to compete with McKivitz.

We can dream but give me a top half starter there, I'm not greedy. It's insane, on third and long almost every time you see dominos fall from right to left one after another with only TW stone walling his guy

My peeve with the OLine is it's just too small if you want to have a solid drop back passing game. I saw the OLine get pushed back into Brock too many times for my taste in the Green Bay game. It Happened in the Raven's game too. However, a smallish line makes sense if your offense is based on the outside zone run. Kyle is going to have to think and do is best to tweak the OLine for some sort of balance between a drop back passing game and the zone run. How? I don't know. However, a bigger OLine, I think might be the answer.

100% agree. But when we try to tell folks hey at the end ....we will be facing the d lines that can manhandle us... it's on deaf ears.

he needs to draft bodies - big and fast and develop them.

Yeah, that's pretty much on point. NC and I are hoping and praying he'll change this year and draft a couple - both in day 2 and day 3. Hope hope.

I'm with you. Been complaining for years.

There's only one TW and he's getting up there. They need a massive investment in the o line.
We hope

LOL. And make Foerster open full competitions and not just award dudes the starting roles before competition.

Yup, give Foerster some talent vs some lemons. I'd love for a Trent Williams 2.0 on the right side to compete with McKivitz.

We can dream but give me a top half starter there, I'm not greedy. It's insane, on third and long almost every time you see dominos fall from right to left one after another with only TW stone walling his guy

My peeve with the OLine is it's just too small if you want to have a solid drop back passing game. I saw the OLine get pushed back into Brock too many times for my taste in the Green Bay game. It Happened in the Raven's game too. However, a smallish line makes sense if your offense is based on the outside zone run. Kyle is going to have to think and do is best to tweak the OLine for some sort of balance between a drop back passing game and the zone run. How? I don't know. However, a bigger OLine, I think might be the answer.

100% agree. But when we try to tell folks hey at the end ....we will be facing the d lines that can manhandle us... it's on deaf ears.

Yeah, that's pretty much on point. NC and I are hoping and praying he'll change this year and draft a couple - both in day 2 and day 3. Hope hope.

There's only one TW and he's getting up there. They need a massive investment in the o line.

I'm not holding my breath but still hopeful annually as always.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 21, 2024 at 6:18 AM ]

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Overall it's mostly shaping out how you'd expect in the trenches. 7 of the bottom 9 already eliminated. TO's continue to transcend.

Turnovers are huge. +1 net and you win 70+ percent of the time. Having great O and D lines always (I think) affect the turnover ratio. That's why ShanaLynch invests so much on the DLine. I understand *why* Kyle under invests in the OLine (because he can, in essence) but I think that has to change as more and more teams copy his offensive concepts, specially the outside zone run. I think he needs to Zig a lot sooner because everybody is zagging and too many are copying his zone concepts nowadays.

They definitely got better and better and better.
Originally posted by lamontb:
They did there jobs today. Hoping TB wins so Mckivitz doesn't have to block Hutchinson

I'm torn. The idea of McKivitz blocking Aidan Hutchinson scares me. But then I think about the interior of our O-line against Vita Vea and that Bucs defense. We will not be running the ball and will need Aiyuk, Purdy, Jennings, Kittle, etc to be on it. But it's the playoffs and there are no easy outs, so we likely are better off going against Tampa.
We hope

I'm not holding my breath but still hopeful annually as always.

I think we will see it because TW is near the end. He's the entire team/scheme.
Could you imagine if we had a middle of the pack RT.

Some plays they did well or ok but the majority of the time they got owned. Only Trent dominates. Defenders are throwing their lesser edge/defender at Trent and scheming everyone else. Same s**t every year.

Our problem is not prioritizing OL/DL in the draft. Our problem is our ID'ing don't work so good..

Plus Side in last few years:
Bosa (no brainer), DJ Jones

Neutral
McG(meh), Banks? lots of late round guys still in the pipeline

Negative Side
Thomas, Kinlaw, Garnett.
Share 49ersWebzone