LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 193 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Or just reject that paradigm and you can argue that long term this team needs to adjust their approach the OL and make it more of a priority, especially if they're going to utilize Purdy more as a pure passer in shotgun...etc.

Sure. Need to also adjust their ignoring of defensive back year after year.

They aren't perfect.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Their OL was terrific - no sacks.

Our OL wasn't terrific.

There needs to be a heavy focus in the off season on FA & the draft.

I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with you. But this is the WZ. Haha.

This is my position too.

We see the receipts daily in here. Well, I don't. LOL
So on the argument of volume > high capital, sure, we should take 2-3 this year. That is easy.

Going in past years I'm going to have to reject that notion, as we currently have the more talented team.

Who wouldnt want to take back picks that didnt work out and use them on the OL in years past? But it doesn't work that way and not really worthy of discussion.

What "IS" worthy of discussion is putting both teams' methods side-by-side and asking who has been the winner? And the answer is clearly us.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 21, 2024 at 10:16 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
People are getting confused here. This isn't about the need to upgrade at OL. We all want that. This about the team we have now.

choose your OL view:
1. NCs side is that we have no chance of winning this year. Something he said before the season and placed a bet on with the poster Smokey

2. While we don't have the best OL, we can win and possibly win a ship with this team

Or just reject that paradigm and you can argue that long term this team needs to adjust their approach the OL and make it more of a priority, especially if they're going to utilize Purdy more as a pure passer in shotgun...etc.

Agreed. As much as I have seen Brock in an empty set shotgun formation this season, the O line must be the main priority in the off season.

Our OL wasn't terrific.

This is my position too.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
They haven't invested all that much. 2 2nds and a bunch of day 3 picks. What they have been awesome at is developing players. That's where the 9ers need to improve.

Right, but they scout well, coach well and continually draft OL. It's what has enabled them to have really good OLs going back to the 90s. They prioritize it and continually come up with Pro Bowl level OLs like Elgton Jenkins.

In 2022, the 49ers drafted Tyrion Davis Price and Danny Gray in the 3rd round. Neither look like they have a long term future here. In the 4th, the Packers took Romeo Doubs and Zach Tom, both look like exceptional players and are starters in their second seasons. Tom in particular looks like a very good tackle and would have been an outstanding fit for the 49ers as well and was brought up by many here as a great fit for the OL.

Scouting has to improve on the 49ers early picks. If they're going to be paying Purdy big money eventually, they can't keep whiffing on their earlier picks and OL needs to be more of a priority.

Agree 💯 %, 49ers got to avoid the Andrew Luck - retire after a couple of years - situation.
This is my position too.

Pack OL wasn't terrific actually. Yacs numbers bear that out.

My literal stance in here for like 15 years now. LOL

Our OL wasn't terrific.

This is my position too.

See how he keeps going with this bs trying to trigger folks? Its become daily and has now infiltrated a handful of threads.

Sure. Need to also adjust their ignoring of defensive back year after year.

They aren't perfect.

Yes I'm being repetitive,...but once we travel down that rabbit hole we have to put both full rosters side-by-side. Can't pick and choose.

Originally posted by YACBros85:
Agreed. As much as I have seen Brock in an empty set shotgun formation this season, the O line must be the main priority in the off season.

I expect it will be.
People are getting confused here. This isn't about the need to upgrade at OL. We all want that. This about the team we have now.

choose your OL view:
1. NCs side is that we have no chance of winning this year. Something he said before the season and placed a bet on with the poster Smokey

2. While we don't have the best OL, we can win and possibly win a ship with this team

This! I think its imperative that the Niners place a big priority on the OL because of the weakness on the right side and the very likely possibility that Trent retires. No one can argue that the 49ers have a great OL or that its clearly not the weakest part of the offense. With our skill players a great OL would make them unstoppable.

While the Niners have several holes to fill (OT, OG, C,CB, S, and edge), I think its a year where it makes total sense to load up on the OL and take a corner high in the draft.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Pressure rate
Brock- 41.9%
Love- 40.0%

49ers O line- 14 hurries, 3 hits, 1 sack
Packers O line- 14 hurries, 3 hits, 0 sacks.

What I thought. Similar rates. Difference is GB doesn't play a super soft zone that allows for easy dump offs for 5-7 yards every time.

Another difference is that our DLine is supposed to be **much better** than the Packers DLine.
See how he keeps going with this bs trying to trigger folks? Its become daily and has now infiltrated a handful of threads.

Yup. Trolling the whole forum with his antics now. It's embarrassing.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

choose your OL view:

This! I think its imperative that the Niners place a big priority on the OL because of the weakness on the right side and the very likely possibility that Trent retires. No one can argue that the 49ers have a great OL or that its clearly not the weakest part of the offense. With our skill players a great OL would make them unstoppable.

While the Niners have several holes to fill (OT, OG, C,CB, S, and edge), I think its a year where it makes total sense to load up on the OL and take a corner high in the draft.

Share 49ersWebzone