• Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by YACBros85:

what does this mean..

I have explained it over and over again in this thread. My theory is that games are mostly decided by which defense can bring the most pressure vs which QB can perform under pressure the best. The pressure stats are on a per dropback basis in categories such as TD'%, 1stD%, INT%, sack% and passer rating for both the QB and the defense. Each category is ranked and then there is an average rank of all categories which gives us an overall ranking. The performances that were used were playoff teams vs playoff teams during the regular season.

I see, thanks for the explanation. Well I hope your ranking system is right and we should win easily against Detroit then.

Detroit will be missing their starting left guard, as far as I know. Hargrave should have a feast this Sunday.

Yeah, that's massive. That's a pro bowl LG out and Ragnow, will be ailing for sure. He made it through that game on adrenaline but he's going to be in serious pain this week.

Hargrave and AA should absolutely attack relentlessly. In fact, if i was Wilks, I'd bring the A-gap and edge DB blitz all day long.

That could be the difference in the end esp. because Goff is more of a classic drop back QB.

Chase/Gregory, AA/Kinlaw, Hargrave, Bosa.

This is why you're here!

Yes agree. I'd like to see more line stunts that take advantage of the possible miscommunications between Left Tackle and Left Guard. I'd play Bosa next to Hargrave a lot in the next game to screw around with their line protection calls. This is the time for Wilks to show his blitz schemes.

As you said, Goff isn't the most mobile QB out there and 49er defense should take advantage of that weakness, in a sense. Detroit will counter by running the ball a lot on first downs and mixing it up with short passing to keep third downs from being 10 yards or more. Key to winning on defense is for the 49er defense to win and shut them down on 3rd downs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by father49er:

what does this mean..

I have explained it over and over again in this thread. My theory is that games are mostly decided by which defense can bring the most pressure vs which QB can perform under pressure the best. The pressure stats are on a per dropback basis in categories such as TD'%, 1stD%, INT%, sack% and passer rating for both the QB and the defense. Each category is ranked and then there is an average rank of all categories which gives us an overall ranking. The performances that were used were playoff teams vs playoff teams during the regular season.

I see, thanks for the explanation. Well I hope your ranking system is right and we should win easily against Detroit then.

This has been correct so far. I hope Chiefs upset the Ravens, or we'll have a hard time at the SB.

Either team is a problem for the 49ers. Both teams have beaten the 49ers in the past. The Ravens loss is more recent, but still they have the same schemes and coaches and both have a ton of talent.

My hope is that Kyle doesn't leave a 3rd string Tight End blocking Detroit's defensive ends this Sunday.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
This AM on "Get UP", Louis Riddick was defending the criticisms of Brock Purdy.

Not an exact quote but close, - "if you want to identify a weakness of the 49'ers look at the right side of the OLine. Detroit DE player [forget his name] is going to have a field day against McKivitz.'

Again - NOT an exact quote but close enough.

He's absolutely correct.

I guess Kittle will be used in passing situations as a blocker. instead of a receiver.

McKivitz is an - above average to good - level Right Tackle. Feliciano helps him out and that right side, he's also another above average to good player. It's a weakness, relative to the strength of the 49ers left side - which is a more dominant group (Trent, Banks, Brendel). That is (in my opinion) one half of a dominant offensive line that can take on any elite DLine group in the NFL. In other words, it's not a *weakness* in the sense of the word. It's more that the right side is less dominant than the left, but it's still plenty darn good.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Not an exact quote but close, - "if you want to identify a weakness of the 49'ers look at the right side of the OLine. Detroit DE player [forget his name] is going to have a field day against McKivitz.'

He's absolutely correct.

I guess Kittle will be used in passing situations as a blocker. instead of a receiver.

Yeah, that's the strategy, it's like with Nick he doesn't get one on ones, and neither should Hutchinson. You can still get a chip and go out on a route.

Personally, I think you can leave McKivits out there one on one. Afterall, he goes against Bosa in practice. He'll just have to give Brock about a good 2.5 seconds in the pocket and the offense should be good - in those instances where they do isolate McKivits on their best DLineman. The rest of the time, I agree, WR, RB, or TE chips should help McKivitz out - and of course if Detroit blitzes (and they certainly will - specially on the right side) Brock and the receivers on that side have to be prepared to burn Detroit on those plays.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
So you had KC SF and he had DET PHI?

That's right.

We push when the Ravens win, lol.
he said he lost a few weeks ago because the formula is broken

I think he was dispirited that the formula was broken, in that I think there's no tier 1 OL and tier 1 QB combo. Yet he remains in the bet. This is my interpretation, but I'm no SME.

Ha. That's exactly right. At least half the formula (OL) is still working pretty darn good. I mean, it's Detroit...in the Championship game. Say that out loud with a straight face. LOL

What is the stats? I think it's something like 30+ years since Detroit has been in the NFC Championship game? Or something like that. That's pretty impressive of the Detroit coach to assemble a good offensive squad around Goff. Goff doesn't WOW me with his passes the way Brock does, and so Detroit has built a Great Wall of Detroit OLinemen around him. Our DLinemen will still have to bring their A game for sure against that injured Detroit line.

I have to say, by hook or by crook, ShanaLynch has done a great job keeping the entire team **HEALTHY** this season. I think how they did it is by emphasizing their offseason conditioning program, having Rice be the spokesman of the importance of offseason conditioning, and also doing their homework on getting more durable players on the team. The loss of Adam Peters might affect this next draft on the issue of durability, but I hope not.

He's absolutely correct.

Yeah, that's the strategy, it's like with Nick he doesn't get one on ones, and neither should Hutchinson. You can still get a chip and go out on a route.

I'm sure Juzcheck [sp] will also be used from time to time.

CMC especially. Juice and Kittle as well. That's their advantage. And we should have an advantage with their all pro G out and an ailing C.

Plan A
is that not reality?

Being that you are going around the forum talking up all of Detroits talent crediting their O Line solely for their success seems awfully hollow.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
"Half the formula is still working"…lol holy s**t

is that not reality?

Nope. Was already explained to you what his original formula was, not to mention he just said their OL was no longer tier 1 to cover his ass if they lose, so even if we look past the the b******t formula goalpost moving and focus on what was said, it's a contradiction. Is half the formula still working or is DET no longer tier 1?
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jan 23, 2024 at 4:22 PM ]

is that not reality?

Nope

But it literally is. If the formula is Tier 1 OL and tier 1 QB. Half the formula is correct. If anything the gripe is the formula changed, well the old formula had it spot on then, it seems. Can we not agree on the layups that are easy to agree on?

is that not reality?

Nope

But it literally is. If the formula is Tier 1 OL and tier 1 QB. Half the formula is correct. If anything the gripe is the formula changed, well the old formula had it spot on then, it seems. Can we not agree on the layups that are easy to agree on?

But it literally isn't . You can look at ,my edit above
Nope. Was already explained to you what his original formula was, not to mention he just said their OL was no longer tier 1 to cover his ass if they lose, so even if we look past the the b******t formula goalpost moving and focus on what was said, it's a contradiction. Is half the formula still working or is DET no longer tier 1?

Since when is DET not tier 1? They have been tier 1 all season. That was the entire premise behind them included in the bet. So yeah it's half the formula is still working, from where I stand.

Since when is DET not tier 1? They have been tier 1 all season. That was the entire premise behind them included in the bet. So yeah it's half the formula is still working, from where I stand.

Since your mentor stated so within the last day or so. . So no it's not still working, nor was it ever captain save a ho

Since your mentor stated so within the last day or so. . So no it's not still working, nor was it ever captain save a ho

What da heck? This aggression, will not stand man
Share 49ersWebzone