LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 259 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by NCommand:
What are you asking here?

I was asking for faithful to clarify what it is that he claims 4eva said. To me, it seemed like he was either mixing him up with another poster, or putting words in his mouth.

I don't recall 4eva saying Detroit wasn't a tier 1 OL. I do recall him pushing back against the claim that half the formula worked. As I said, that push back makes sense to me because of what a formula actually is.

This is all misinterpretation. I don't refer to 4eva saying anything. I spelled it out in post 41868. In that post, I asked NC if he referred to DET as no longer tier 1. I was told all day yesterday that he did so, by Hoov.

I gotcha, gentlemen. Nothing to see here.
This is all misinterpretation. I don't refer to 4eva saying anything. I spelled it out in post 41868. In that post, I asked NC if he referred to DET as no longer tier 1. I was told all day yesterday that he did so, by Hoov.

Yep, it looks like I made a mistake. For some reason I thought you made a reply post to 4eva and it was actually to NC. You claimed he said Detroit wasn't a T1 OL, not 4eva. That makes more sense and that's my bad.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jan 24, 2024 at 2:03 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
They were talking to Hoov not me.

Who cares about tiers is my take.

That seems like it's mostly everyone's take, especially with it being based on one guy's rankings.

I think most of us understand there isn't an actual formula, and beyond that saying 'half a formula works' is actually saying it's a different formula, lol.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jan 24, 2024 at 2:04 PM ]

Yep, it looks like I made a mistake. For some reason I thought you made a reply post to 4eva and it was actually to NC. You claimed he said Detroit wasn't a T1 OL, not 4eva. That makes more sense and that's my bad.

It was NC made that claim this week about DET no longer being T1, prior to stating half the formula work
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

It was NC made that claim this week about DET no longer being T1, prior to stating half the formula work

Bump the post then let's see it..
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Right and faithful was asking NC for clarification. I thought he was talking to 4eva and not NC. Just a moment of temporary blindness, lol.
That seems like it's mostly everyone's take, especially with it being based on one guy's rankings.

I think most of us understand there isn't an actual formula, and beyond that saying 'half a formula works' is actually saying it's a different formula, lol.

One guys rankings did exceptional well again this year so while there is no exact science, the trenches are a great place to start in the predictive model.

I know YAC agrees since he also does this and has made money on betting off it.

The clear formula that's worked the past 7 years is a tier 1 QB + OL. That's not implying there isn't another avenue; just recognizing that pattern (formula). If you think there is a better unit combo, let's review (tier 1 DL + tier 1 QB?).

Saying half of it is still right, in that there's no way Detroit gets this far without that tier 1 OL. If Detroit had a tier 1 QB, would they not be the odds on favorite to win it all?

Of course they would...hell, there's still an outside chance they do that with a couple key injuries on the OL + Goff. But since the formula is simply looking at best odds, I still say that's unlikely.

There's a reason why even this small faction (still fighting it) wants a whole new OL in the draft next year. They must believe in the formula.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 24, 2024 at 2:21 PM ]
I made money betting off of O line rankings? 🤣 Not even close. I use defensive and QB pressure efficiency stats. And so far, DET has been the only outlier.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Jan 24, 2024 at 2:17 PM ]

One guys rankings did exceptional well again this year so while there is no exact science, the trenches are a great place to start in the predictive model.

The clear formula that's worked the past 7 years is a tier 1 QB + OL. That's not implying there isn't another avenue; just recognizing that pattern (formula). If you think there a better unit combo, let's review (tier 1 DL + tier 1 QB).

Saying half of it is still right in that there's no way Detroit gets this far without that tier 1 OL. If Detroit had a tier 1 QB, would they not be the odds on favorite to win it all?

Of course they would...hell, there's still an outside chance they do that with a couple key injuries on the OL + Goff. But since the formula is simply looking at best odds, I still say that's unlikely.

I am feeling this Sunday is a 50/50 I hate to say it. Goff is a pretty darn good QB (tho clearly no tier 1). Key is win the early downs on D, yet we are perhaps unlikely to do this. I would be in favor of bringing up more numbers in the box and daring Goff to win downfield on us. Need more numbers vs their run game.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I made money betting off of O line rankings? 🤣 Not even close. I use defensive and QB pressure efficiency stats. And so far, DET has been the only outlier.

What are your methods showing for Sunday, YAC?

I am feeling this Sunday is a 50/50 I hate to say it. Goff is a pretty darn good QB (tho clearly no tier 1). Key is win the early downs on D, yet we are perhaps unlikely to do this. I would be in favor of bringing up more numbers in the box and daring Goff to win downfield on us. Need more numbers vs their run game.

We should definitely win this. Hargrave and AA need to abuse that backup LG and injured Ragnow. I'd stunt Bosa inside and bring some LB/S blitzes up that A gap. Goff is a statue too. Dry field? This is a game our tier 1 DL should feast and dictate.

As to offense, Kyle needs to get back to positive yards on first downs. That helps a ton.

The clear formula that's worked the past 7 years is a tier 1 QB + OL. That's not implying there isn't another avenue; just recognizing that pattern (formula). If you think there is a better unit combo, let's review (tier 1 DL + tier 1 QB?).

Saying half of it is still right, in that there's no way Detroit gets this far without that tier 1 OL. If Detroit had a tier 1 QB, would they not be the odds on favorite to win it all?

I'm not saying he's good or bad at ranking OLs. He could be the best in the business and it still wouldn't be a huge deal to me. There's a difference between ranking units across teams in the league and applying those ranks to win probability.

Detroit would not be the odds on favorite to win it all even with a T1 QB because their defense isn't good enough IMO. And besides isn't your argument that the QB has to play like a T1 QB, not actually be one? That's why you took Detroit right? Because they have a dominant OL and their QB is playing great.

You don't have to ask me which unit combination is a better predictor of winning a SB championship, because I don't believe thats a good way of judging a teams chances. I generally think you need a QB to be playing well, good coaching, and at least a solid defense, and then there are a variety of ways to get it done outside of that.
Yup, because I and others want an upgrade at RT/eventual successor to Williams we want a whole new OL and believe in some b******t formula some know it all concocted. Too funny

I see. If I had to predict, I would do a chalky top seed SB of 49ers vs Ravens. Let's hope for it.
Share 49ersWebzone