LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 295 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I made money betting off of O line rankings? 🤣 Not even close. I use defensive and QB pressure efficiency stats. And so far, DET has been the only outlier.

What are your methods showing for Sunday, YAC?

I see. If I had to predict, I would do a chalky top seed SB of 49ers vs Ravens. Let's hope for it.

I am hoping KC wins tbh.
PERSONALLY, I just don't think we have a problem at the OL position.. I don't think they are ALL WORLD, but they work well together.. and as long as Shanny doesn't call stupid plays like the " Juan 15 Inside Wham " and get our offense in the 3rd and long situations, I believe we are going to be HARD TO BEAT..
I made money betting off of O line rankings? 🤣 Not even close. I use defensive and QB pressure efficiency stats. And so far, DET has been the only outlier.

I see. If I had to predict, I would do a chalky top seed SB of 49ers vs Ravens. Let's hope for it.

I am hoping KC wins tbh.

Makes sense considering how you feel they are not as formidable. I predict BAL will take em, and I will root BAL, cuz I'm a lil fatigued of KC and Mahomes. KCs lack of playmakers at WR may finally catch up to them.

I am hoping KC wins tbh.

Makes sense considering how you feel they are not as formidable. I predict BAL will take em, and I will root BAL, cuz I'm a lil fatigued of KC and Mahomes. KCs lack of playmakers at WR may finally catch up to them.

Either way, it should be a good game.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I'm not saying he's good or bad at ranking OLs. He could be the best in the business and it still wouldn't be a huge deal to me. There's a difference between ranking units across teams in the league and applying those ranks to win probability.

Detroit would not be the odds on favorite to win it all even with a T1 QB because their defense isn't good enough IMO. And besides isn't your argument that the QB has to play like a T1 QB, not actually be one? That's why you took Detroit right? Because they have a dominant OL and their QB is playing great.

You don't have to ask me which unit combination is a better predictor of winning a SB championship, because I don't believe thats a good way of judging a teams chances. I generally think you need a QB to be playing well, good coaching, and at least a solid defense, and then there are a variety of ways to get it done outside of that.

But his pre-playoff rankings DID prove in the W/L column. Isn't that the point? And that was just a sole focus on trenches, nothing else.

Ahhh, you're a defensive guy. Defense wins Championships? Few and far between these days.

Tier 1 OL gives your QB the best odds to play at an optimal level. That range will still vary based on that QB's skill set. Do you think Goff is playing at a tier 1 level? He is playing at the highest level of his career and we know it isn't because of his defense. It's his OL helping a ton.

So, within an entire defense, in terms of unit combos, have you seen better combos (e.g. tier 1 pass rush/DL + QB? Secondary? Linebackers?).

Based on your last paragraph you might as well say, "I think you need a top HC, GM, QB, offense, defense and ST." LOL. There are a variety of ways to win it all. I do agree. This has just been proven to be best recently. It is a passing league. I say that knowing two teams that may make the Superbowl pass the least in the NFL.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 24, 2024 at 2:52 PM ]

Give me either one. We owe both BIG TIME.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
This is all misinterpretation. I don't refer to 4eva saying anything. I spelled it out in post 41868. In that post, I asked NC if he referred to DET as no longer tier 1. I was told all day yesterday that he did so, by Hoov.

Yep, it looks like I made a mistake. For some reason I thought you made a reply post to 4eva and it was actually to NC. You claimed he said Detroit wasn't a T1 OL, not 4eva. That makes more sense and that's my bad.

It was NC made that claim this week about DET no longer being T1, prior to stating half the formula work

Bump the post then let's see it..

Here you go from 1/23
No longer a tier 1 OL after last game. Haha. Let's take advantage overpriced DL!

NCommandHall of Fame
No longer a tier 1 OL after last game. Haha. Let's take advantage overpriced DL!
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jan 24, 2024 at 3:33 PM ]

I am hoping KC wins tbh.

I'm rooting for KC. I would feel much more confident in stopping that KC offense than the Ravens. And both defenses are great, but the Ravens are more stout IMO.
If the gist is we need to improve the OLine "BEFORE" the season,...then shouldn't rankings "BEFORE" the season begins be the only ones that are looked at??

Why the obsession with playoff rankings??

Anyone can rank the best teams as they see fit after 17 games. After 17 games,...give me numbers,....give me ratings,...give me stats. The season has already happened, and wagers have already been made.

If "rankings" mean anything (as it relates to what we should do) then give me the preseason ones and leave the other biased postseason "rankings" out.

But just why the hell "postseason OLine rankings" should determine what we do "Preseason" to our team is an extremely dumb rabit hole to travel down.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 24, 2024 at 3:57 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
But his pre-playoff rankings DID prove in the W/L column. Isn't that the point? And that was just a sole focus on trenches, nothing else.

Ahhh, you're a defensive guy. Defense wins Championships? Few and far between these days.

Tier 1 OL gives your QB the best odds to play at an optimal level. That range will still vary based on that QB's skill set. Do you think Goff is playing at a tier 1 level? He is playing at the highest level of his career and we know it isn't because of his defense. It's his OL helping a ton.

So, within an entire defense, in terms of unit combos, have you seen better combos (e.g. tier 1 pass rush/DL + QB? Secondary? Linebackers?).

Based on your last paragraph you might as well say, "I think you need a top HC, GM, QB, offense, defense and ST." LOL. There are a variety of ways to win it all. I do agree. This has just been proven to be best recently. It is a passing league. I say that knowing two teams that may make the Superbowl pass the least in the NFL.

You have to do a better job of reading what I actually am saying. I'm not a 'defense' guy. I'm not a formula guy period. I believe there is multiple ways of winning a SB. What I said was I generally think you need a QB playing well, good coaching, and at least a solid defense. You will need other things to go along with that generally. You might have a great running game, or elite skill position players… you could have a dominant offensive line that elevates your QB and offense or you might have a dominant QB that elevates your OL and offense. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Well rounded, complete teams, generally have the best chance of winning. The closer to complete the better. There is no magic formula that says if you have these two components you have the best chance of winning. 7 years of you thinking the winning teams fit your formula is a small sample even if you're correct in your opinion that they do. And it's arguable whether you are.

You have to do a better job of reading what I actually am saying. I'm not a 'defense' guy. I'm not a formula guy period. I believe there is multiple ways of winning a SB. What I said was I generally think you need a QB playing well, good coaching, and at least a solid defense. You will need other things to go along with that generally. You might have a great running game, or elite skill position players… you could have a dominant offensive line that elevates your QB and offense or you might have a dominant QB that elevates your OL and offense. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Well rounded, complete teams, generally have the best chance of winning. The closer to complete the better. There is no magic formula that says if you have these two components you have the best chance of winning. 7 years of you thinking the winning teams fit your formula is a small sample even if you're correct in your opinion that they do. And it's arguable whether you are.

💯
So Detroit lost both starting guards and their center is on one leg? Yeah this where I expect our defense to take advantage of that. God knows everyone takes advantage of this stuff on us.

Injuries suck, but nobody's fault. I expect to see AA and hargrave collapsing that pocket on the regular.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
So Detroit lost both starting guards and their center is on one leg? Yeah this where I expect our defense to take advantage of that. God knows everyone takes advantage of this stuff on us.

Injuries suck, but nobody's fault. I expect to see AA and hargrave collapsing that pocket on the regular.

Only one starting guard is out. Their LG.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Appreciate the response.

You're not wrong. You've covered every possible way to win. LOL

Just a notable pattern. And to your point, one that broke in year 8.

Let's see how it shapes out this year.

It's kind of cool because you've got 2 teams who pass the least and KC and Detroit. KC has a really good defense now and less offensive prowless. We know the Ravens strengths (LB's) and running game which includes Lamar. Lions, good balance in run/pass, good pass rush, coverage issues. The trenches dudes say SF/KC.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Only one starting guard is out. Their LG.

Not true. Glasgow is a backup too. Vaitai has been hurt much of the season.

Now Glasgow has lots of experience because of Vaitai being hurt so much but he's still their backup.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jan 24, 2024 at 4:21 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone