There are 226 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
We are struggling for salary cap to pay BA.

players like Connor Williams don't come cheap.

Thats not why we are aren't signing him, we have the space. It's not wanting to overpay.
or we may have other plans with the cap space. Thats what I'm sayin'
Originally posted by Howlett49:
That's easy to say. It says multiple teams are interested though. So that means there is a market for him. You can't just say bring him in cheap.

Multiple teams could very well be interested to see what his injury status is…also it sounds like that's agent speak. If anyone really wanted him he would have been signed. I don't see him getting a multi year deal or anything.
We are struggling for salary cap to pay BA.

players like Connor Williams don't come cheap.

We have the 6th most cap space in the league currently. SF isn't struggling to sign BA, go look at their history they don't extend players until July and they're not in the business of overpaying players because they put some s**t on TikTok.

why wouldn't Williams come on a cheaper one year deal? His knee got destroyed this past season. Anyone overpaying for him or giving him a multi year deal is taking a massive chance, that s**t would have already happened imo.
After hearing what coach Foerster said about not paying up for lineman…I think we all need to reevaluate how they will be developing the OL as long as he's here.
If I'm the 49ers I'm kicking the tires on Connor Williams and David Bahktiari. Go all in and figure it out later.
or we may have other plans with the cap space. Thats what I'm sayin'

Ya sure
Originally posted by genus49:
If I'm the 49ers I'm kicking the tires on Connor Williams and David Bahktiari. Go all in and figure it out later.

Bakhtiari only wants to play LT. If we could convince him to take a shot at RT, absolutely we should kick the tires on him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
After hearing what coach Foerster said about not paying up for lineman…I think we all need to reevaluate how they will be developing the OL as long as he's here.

I think the adjustment (hopefully) has been made with picking a day 2 OLine pick instead of waiting for day 3 or UDFA to pick an OLineman. Drove me nuts to be picking an OLineman in day 3 year in and year out.

My own preference (in terms of drafting talent level) is day 1 DLine pick, day 2, OLine pick and the rest would be skill positons. I.e. prioritize the trenches as much as possible - from a draft philosophy standpoint.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think the adjustment (hopefully) has been made with picking a day 2 OLine pick instead of waiting for day 3 or UDFA to pick an OLineman. Drove me nuts to be picking an OLineman in day 3 year in and year out.

My own preference (in terms of drafting talent level) is day 1 DLine pick, day 2, OLine pick and the rest would be skill positons. I.e. prioritize the trenches as much as possible - from a draft philosophy standpoint.

Just depends on what position you're talking about. IMO OT is a premium position and using a 1st rd pick on that shouldn't be an issue.

center in this offense is important. They need to develop that s**t because they're the ones calling protections and whatnot. Got no problem using a day 1/2 pick there. This is where the issues are currently imo.

OG imo are a dime a dozen and not a massive priority, especially here. That's a position that can be developed without having to burn top picks and cash….that was always a massive debate with me and NC. He couldn't wrap his head around that.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Just depends on what position you're talking about. IMO OT is a premium position and using a 1st rd pick on that shouldn't be an issue.

center in this offense is important. They need to develop that s**t because they're the ones calling protections and whatnot. Got no problem using a day 1/2 pick there. This is where the issues are currently imo.

OG imo are a dime a dozen and not a massive priority, especially here. That's a position that can be developed without having to burn top picks and cash….that was always a massive debate with me and NC. He couldn't wrap his head around that.

I agree with you - in a sense - about Center and Right Guard. These two players can be physically the least talented of the starters on the OLIne, and can be developed from late round or UDFA picks. Center and Right guard is in the peripheral vision of the QB, so the QB can still avoid a hit, as long as he sees the pass rusher coming. As you said the Center needs to have good brains to run the Kyle offense. Right guard, generally speaking is your weakest player, and unfortunately it bit us at the worst time in the super bowl, but yeah right guards can be developed from raw but talented players lower in the draft. Agree on having a top flight left tackle. Putting a top flight left tackle in place solidifies and elevates the left side of that line. Having a Staley/Trent Williams is exactly the kind of athlete and brains you want playing the blind side to protect your franchise QB.

I disagree about the left guard. The left guard can't be chump change - since he's still protecting the QB's blind side (if the QB is right handed). I think that player should be - at minimum - a day 2 pick. Same with the right Tackle. The right tackle should also be a very good pass protector and blocker simply because - again - that kind of athlete sets the tone and elevates that side of the line. Overall, I think the 49ers have skimped too much on the OLine in the past - to their detriment in the playoffs.

NC wasn't wrong in asking the 49ers to stack talent on the OLine. I think he just wanted the Organization to just get some decent talent on the OLIne instead of relying on Day 3 picks and UDFA and hoping to develop them, and in the meantime, the QB is getting killed during the OLine development. I think that was the general thrust of his point.

Very good analysis and agree with what you posted. Problem is they are not following what you said other the Puni as a G. Hopefully they implement the priorities you mentioned next offseason.

I love how they look at DLine as a priority on the D, now just need to do it in offense.
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Very good analysis and agree with what you posted. Problem is they are not following what you said other the Puni as a G. Hopefully they implement the priorities you mentioned next offseason.

I love how they look at DLine as a priority on the D, now just need to do it in offense.

It's about value at positions you are drafting. Don't reach just to show you are prioritizing.

The problem with that statement is they haven't been good at developing o lineman. I have no issue with the strategy but how it's being carried out.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by bassmanr:

It's about value at positions you are drafting. Don't reach just to show you are prioritizing.

Yes I would say if there is a tackle in the first round at your draft seed that's good take him. I like taking Puni is the third. Unless there is a Quinton Nelson guards are fine day 2. We just need to get better at that position group.
Share 49ersWebzone