There are 210 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
After hearing what coach Foerster said about not paying up for lineman…I think we all need to reevaluate how they will be developing the OL as long as he's here.

The problem with that statement is they haven't been good at developing o lineman. I have no issue with the strategy but how it's being carried out.

I think Foerster is a good coach and can develop players. Brendel, Banks, Compton, Brunskill, all became starters. Brendel was undrafted. Free agents Compton and Brunskill performed good enough to get the team into the Playoffs, and Banks looks to be a great find, same with Feliciano. I'm betting about 80% - just my opinion - of last years runs went to the right behind Trent and Banks, and our run game was top 5 in the NFL.

But just like Steph Curry will never be a consistent inside banger in the NBA, when you choose athletes that are more quick than strong, these guys will get overpowered by more powerful and talented DLinemen in the big playoff games. Hence you have 0-3 win/loss in Superbowls under Kyle/Foerster. hopefully Puni is a sign that Kyle/Foerster recognizes how underpowered the right side of the offensive line was last year and acquired talent that can more stand up to Superbowl level competiton.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think Foerster is a good coach and can develop players. Brendel, Banks, Compton, Brunskill, all became starters. Brendel was undrafted. Free agents Compton and Brunskill performed good enough to get the team into the Playoffs, and Banks looks to be a great find, same with Feliciano. I'm betting about 80% - just my opinion - of last years runs went to the right behind Trent and Banks, and our run game was top 5 in the NFL.

But just like Steph Curry will never be a consistent inside banger in the NBA, when you choose athletes that are more quick than strong, these guys will get overpowered by more powerful and talented DLinemen in the big playoff games. Hence you have 0-3 win/loss in Superbowls under Kyle/Foerster. hopefully Puni is a sign that Kyle/Foerster recognizes how underpowered the right side of the offensive line was last year and acquired talent that can more stand up to Superbowl level competiton.

Issue wasn't being overpowered though. It was schematic blitzes that weren't blocked up or read properly.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Issue wasn't being overpowered though. It was schematic blitzes that weren't blocked up or read properly.

This. More mental than physical although we do get dominated at times.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Defensive teams are not going to blitz a team with a strong run game a lot. That's (I think) one reason Kyle's offense bases his offense so much on the run. I also think that's why Kyle's not really has prioritized the pass protection skills of his OLinemen in the past because he got so much out of his play actions. The typical naked boot pass is an example of that.

However against elite defenses in the playoffs those weaknesses are exposed. So when Kyle has to throw in the playoffs against elite defenses that can stop his runs - because they are as athletic as Kyle's OLinemen and are disciplined - his offensive lines have a disadvantage.

Defensive teams are not going to blitz a team with a strong run game a lot. That's (I think) one reason Kyle's offense bases his offense so much on the run. I also think that's why Kyle's not really has prioritized the pass protection skills of his OLinemen in the past because he got so much out of his play actions. The typical naked boot pass is an example of that.

However against elite defenses in the playoffs those weaknesses are exposed. So when Kyle has to throw in the playoffs against elite defenses that can stop his runs - because they are as athletic as Kyle's OLinemen and are disciplined - his offensive lines have a disadvantage.

Which is why in the end investing in better o-line talent makes sense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

This is Exactly what NC was mainly propounding in most of his OLine posts.
Every position that isn't elite gets exposed when you face better competition. Not unique to the O line.

I'd argue the mental part of the game is where the o line as failed the team not the physical talent.
Every position that isn't elite gets exposed when you face better competition. Not unique to the O line.

I'd argue the mental part of the game is where the o line as failed the team not the physical talent.

Physical talent isn't overwhelming either. Outside of Banks and TW, rest are pretty average, also excluding a couple of our raw players we tried/trying to develop.

No he wasn't, he only had double standards. No other team was any different than what we do

we currently have a SB caliber OL, and we added more depth. What more can you ask for
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
No he wasn't, he only had double standards. No other team was any different than what we do

we currently have a SB caliber OL, and we added more depth. What more can you ask for

lol good one

An All-Pro at every OL position is what more I can ask for. Also I would like them to maintain a very talented roster and have a FQB for the next 20 years. Cause the reality of building teams sucks
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

An All-Pro at every OL position is what more I can ask for. Also I would like them to maintain a very talented roster and have a FQB for the next 20 years. Cause the reality of building teams sucks
All Pro is a popularity contest.. I'll bet all the AP OLs that didn't make the SB would trade in that award to play in a SB
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Well he did love to poke at the folks who disagreed with him. But he - overall - had a good point. Foerster was even quoted as not wanting first rounders on his OLine, and so while NC was wrong about accusing Kyle of not prioritizing the OLine, the real target of NCs irritation was probably Foerster.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I think Foerster is a good enough coach to develop his players. Brendel, Banks, Feliciano, etc.. have all become quality starters. NC's point (I think) was to give Foerster better athletes with higher ceilings in order to have a deeply talented OLine that can be among the best, not just merely good enough. Person and Burford being dominated by Chris Jones comes to mind. If Richburg or Felicano didn't get hurt, conceivably Chris Jones doesn't have those Superbowl game winning plays.

I think Foerster is a good enough coach to develop his players. Brendel, Banks, Feliciano, etc.. have all become quality starters. NC's point (I think) was to give Foerster better athletes with higher ceilings in order to have a deeply talented OLine that can be among the best, not just merely good enough. Person and Burford being dominated by Chris Jones comes to mind. If Richburg or Felicano didn't get hurt, conceivably Chris Jones doesn't have those Superbowl game winning plays.
You can't have all of your picks be in the first round. So that for sure quality OL pick at the end of the first round isn't going to be there. Unless you make another multiple first round trade again.

it's a give and take reality here and the 49ers have done a great job at keeping a winning team on the field.
Share 49ersWebzone