49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
No he wasn't, he only had double standards. No other team was any different than what we do

we currently have a SB caliber OL, and we added more depth. What more can you ask for

An All-Pro at every OL position is what more I can ask for. Also I would like them to maintain a very talented roster and have a FQB for the next 20 years. Cause the reality of building teams sucks

I think Foerster is a good enough coach to develop his players. Brendel, Banks, Feliciano, etc.. have all become quality starters. NC's point (I think) was to give Foerster better athletes with higher ceilings in order to have a deeply talented OLine that can be among the best, not just merely good enough. Person and Burford being dominated by Chris Jones comes to mind. If Richburg or Felicano didn't get hurt, conceivably Chris Jones doesn't have those Superbowl game winning plays.
You can't have all of your picks be in the first round. So that for sure quality OL pick at the end of the first round isn't going to be there. Unless you make another multiple first round trade again.

it's a give and take reality here and the 49ers have done a great job at keeping a winning team on the field.

I don't think NC wanted five Trent Williams on the OLine. But he did want better talent on the OLine. Whats to stop the 49ers from trading down a day two pick to get multiple high round day 3 picks and invest that into an OLineman? (Instead of drafting a running back - for example) Especially if you can get a supposedly raw but talented OLineman on a rookie contract.

I think NC's main idea was that Kyle got Jauan Jennings, Brieda, Mason by stacking talent at those particular positons, and he wanted the same thing for the OLine. They are beginning to do that with the Puni/Kingston picks but his point was it was a year (or more) too late.
No he wasn't, he only had double standards. No other team was any different than what we do

we currently have a SB caliber OL, and we added more depth. What more can you ask for

An All-Pro at every OL position is what more I can ask for. Also I would like them to maintain a very talented roster and have a FQB for the next 20 years. Cause the reality of building teams sucks

I think Foerster is a good enough coach to develop his players. Brendel, Banks, Feliciano, etc.. have all become quality starters. NC's point (I think) was to give Foerster better athletes with higher ceilings in order to have a deeply talented OLine that can be among the best, not just merely good enough. Person and Burford being dominated by Chris Jones comes to mind. If Richburg or Felicano didn't get hurt, conceivably Chris Jones doesn't have those Superbowl game winning plays.
You can't have all of your picks be in the first round. So that for sure quality OL pick at the end of the first round isn't going to be there. Unless you make another multiple first round trade again.

it's a give and take reality here and the 49ers have done a great job at keeping a winning team on the field.

I don't think NC wanted five Trent Williams on the OLine. But he did want better talent on the OLine. Whats to stop the 49ers from trading down a day two pick to get multiple high round day 3 picks and invest that into an OLineman? (Instead of drafting a running back - for example) Especially if you can get a supposedly raw but talented OLineman on a rookie contract.

I think NC's main idea was that Kyle got Jauan Jennings, Brieda, Mason by stacking talent at those particular positons, and he wanted the same thing for the OLine. They are beginning to do that with the Puni/Kingston picks but his point was it was a year (or more) too late.
Not only NC wanted 5 all pro starting OL, he went on saying we should have back ups of the same caliber after being debunked on his investing on OL myth.

We've gone over this way too many times and you are new to this so you are kinda late to the party, so i don't fault you on this.

Not all high OL will be studs, shoot only a small % of OL tend to be studs... and if you pick all OL and no skill players then you have no team.

not sure what the gripe is about OL, it's gotten dratically better every year since Kyle has been here.

All the guys you mentioned were late round or undrafted guys. NC would give the team zero credit for acquiring the late rd and undrafted OL they did this year. It's high pick/big contracts or you don't care.

I have no problem with being upset a certain player wasn't drafted. It's the concept that they need to invest higher picks in OL that I have an issue with. The player matters, not the draft position. A lesson every 9er fan should understand now.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jun 26, 2024 at 1:11 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Not only NC wanted 5 all pro starting OL, he went on saying we should have back ups of the same caliber after being debunked on his investing on OL myth.

We've gone over this way too many times and you are new to this so you are kinda late to the party, so i don't fault you on this.

Not all high OL will be studs, shoot only a small % of OL tend to be studs... and if you pick all OL and no skill players then you have no team.

not sure what the gripe is about OL, it's gotten dratically better every year since Kyle has been here.

NC would have been ecstatic if there were 5 Trent Williams on the OLine, but he was mostly sarcastic on this issue (five 1st round picks on the OLine.) Unfortunately his pokes to the folks who disagreed with him on this issue was taken a bit too seriously.

I certainly don't subscribe to that point, and I doubt NC did either. Developing OLine (or any other squad) needs commitment and adequately provided resources. Constantly drafting day 3 OLinemen (and also DBs) in a sense backfired on ShanaLynch in the playoffs and superbowl. Hopefully the Puni/Green picks is a sign ShanaLynch has learned their lesson.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

All the guys you mentioned were late round or undrafted guys. NC would give the team zero credit for acquiring the late rd and undrafted OL they did this year. It's high pick/big contracts or you don't care.

I have no problem with being upset a certain player wasn't drafted. It's the concept that they need to invest higher picks in OL that I have an issue with. The player matters, not the draft position. A lesson every 9er fan should understand now.

I think with regards to late rounders and undrafted OLinemen, he was OK drafting or acquiring raw but talented OLinemen late/or undrafted. However, his problem - and mine - was that ShanaLynch was not adequately drafting at least one day 2 level talent for the OLine in years prior to the Banks and Puni picks. Yes they drafted McGlinchy, but after that - there was a long stretch of neglect on the OLine.

It's always been my belief that 70% of the run and pass game is decided between the trenches. Again, KC beat us twice in the Superbowl because of inadequate Offensive Line play - for example - and at the same spot too, *right guard.*
NC would have been ecstatic if there were 5 Trent Williams on the OLine, but he was mostly sarcastic on this issue (five 1st round picks on the OLine.) Unfortunately his pokes to the folks who disagreed with him on this issue was taken a bit too seriously.

I certainly don't subscribe to that point, and I doubt NC did either. Developing OLine (or any other squad) needs commitment and adequately provided resources. Constantly drafting day 3 OLinemen (and also DBs) in a sense backfired on ShanaLynch in the playoffs and superbowl. Hopefully the Puni/Green picks is a sign ShanaLynch has learned their lesson.

sums up the entire thread lol, thousands of pages
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

he's not being sarcastic. he just talks out of the you know what and spins it when he gets busted.

You think he was ecstatic when we had 3 first rounders starting for us in 2021? uh no lol

if you're truly on the development side of things.. then you can't be impatient with developing. OL isn't an easy position to come by and we've done a great job of what we've got.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

he's not being sarcastic. he just talks out of the you know what and spins it when he gets busted.

You think he was ecstatic when we had 3 first rounders starting for us in 2021? uh no lol

if you're truly on the development side of things.. then you can't be impatient with developing. OL isn't an easy position to come by and we've done a great job of what we've got.

Alex would retire the next year, so he was nowhere playing at the level he was in his prime. Laken never lived up to his draft position. As for the year prior and two years after - 49ers never added any talent higher than a day 3 pick. NY85 has repeatedly stated, and I agree with him, OLinemen takes time to develop.

We'll, if so, then acquire high floor/high ceiling players and develop them to their potential on a continual basis. But you need to *at least* attempt to add decent talent. All they did was add day 3 level talent - which to me - signals a lack of commitment to the OLine, similar to the way ShanaLynch drafts day 3 level DB talent to their detriment in the playoffs - against a strong armed and mobile QBs like Patrick.

A center ar the end of the 1st should be a safe pick, but your point stands in general. A tackle at the end of the first isn't a sure thing. With that said l wonder what will happen with the day 1 and 2 picks in 2025. I can't see a glaring need on offense except at OL. Banks could be gone and McKivitz would only have a year left on his deal. I'd hope we are good at DL and linebacker. Even if we lose Ward or Lenoir (assuming we keep one), I'd think we should be solid at CB.

Even taking free agent departures or possible players not working out, I can't see any other first round pick besides tackle or CB.

Alex would retire the next year, so he was nowhere playing at the level he was in his prime. Laken never lived up to his draft position. As for the year prior and two years after - 49ers never added any talent higher than a day 3 pick. NY85 has repeatedly stated, and I agree with him, OLinemen takes time to develop.

We'll, if so, then acquire high floor/high ceiling players and develop them to their potential on a continual basis. But you need to *at least* attempt to add decent talent. All they did was add day 3 level talent - which to me - signals a lack of commitment to the OLine, similar to the way ShanaLynch drafts day 3 level DB talent to their detriment in the playoffs - against a strong armed and mobile QBs like Patrick.
Alex retiring, laken not living to his draft position is irrelevant. You called the need for high level talent. TW, LT, Mack & McGlinch are all very high level talent.. but you don't think it's enough.. even though it was more than enough. you can't advocate for wanting high level talent then dismiss the high level talent that we had.

The last 3 years we had a SB caliber OL and once again the OL didn't end up being the factor for our loss.

OL are like wine, they just need to age in system, preferably the same system.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

A center ar the end of the 1st should be a safe pick, but your point stands in general. A tackle at the end of the first isn't a sure thing. With that said l wonder what will happen with the day 1 and 2 picks in 2025. I can't see a glaring need on offense except at OL. Banks could be gone and McKivitz would only have a year left on his deal. I'd hope we are good at DL and linebacker. Even if we lose Ward or Lenoir (assuming we keep one), I'd think we should be solid at CB.

Even taking free agent departures or possible players not working out, I can't see any other first round pick besides tackle or CB.
If we can get our 2024 drafted/UDFA OL up to speed, we don't have to worry on replacements for 2025. We can still draft skill and add OL depth. The best part of the way this team has been built is we can now start taking BPA and OL depth in the future.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Alex retiring, laken not living to his draft position is irrelevant. You called the need for high level talent. TW, LT, Mack & McGlinch are all very high level talent.. but you don't think it's enough.. even though it was more than enough. you can't advocate for wanting high level talent then dismiss the high level talent that we had.

The last 3 years we had a SB caliber OL and once again the OL didn't end up being the factor for our loss.

OL are like wine, they just need to age in system, preferably the same system

Adding a soon-to-be retiring former all-pro isn't *adding* high level talent. Laken did well, because of Trent. Mcglinchy was was a passing game liability and eventually outplayed by Mckivitz, a day three pick.

I'm not talking draft positon. I'm talking *talent level.* Yes you can find talent in the 7th round (Brock is an example) but try doing that year in and year out and and your hit rate would be abysmal.

They should have drafted OLinemen *higher* - is my point. The Puni and Banks picks are great examples of that. This is important because ShanaLynch now have a generational talent at QB. I don't want him to have an Andrew Luck kind of career.

Superbowl level offensive line talent? Barely adequate playoff level talent, in my opinion. Last year the OLine barely held up against green Bay and the Lions game. One OLine injury and Chris Jones shut down our right guard. I think there are statistics out there saying last years OLine was at the bottom half in pass protection.
Totally agree that protecting the quarterback should be the number one priority. The OLine plays a key role and without a solid offensive line, even the most talented quarterback can be under constant pressure. I hope the coaching staff and management realize that.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

LOL this is exactly how I've read it and when I tried to calm it down I ended up fanning the flames! btw, he as much as told me that as well
Share 49ersWebzone