There are 93 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The OLine needed attention. It got some but not enough. Remember our emerging elite qb needs to be upright to do his job. Slapping together what you can scrape up is not the best strategy for keeping Brock healthy. Just saying…
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
The OLine needed attention. It got some but not enough. Remember our emerging elite qb needs to be upright to do his job. Slapping together what you can scrape up is not the best strategy for keeping Brock healthy. Just saying…

Kept him healthy last year.

Besides you can't hit these guys anymore, holding is okay, and then there's Shanahan's scheme.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
is Trent overrated?

I think he is underrated.

All I hear about our O-line is how weak it is, I rarely hear about the once in a lifetime future H.O.F left tackle that we have on that o-line.

When he was out last season the offense was horrible. We couldn't run the ball at all. Its quite scray tbh.

FACTS

I think a lot of people bash the o-line because we only have 1 household name up front. I watched Bill Walsh use this same strategy when he had o-line coach Bobb McKittrick. If we really think about it; Shanahan has gotten to two super bowls using a similar strategy (Coaching up UDFA and late round picks to man the o-line positions).

https://www.mercurynews.com/2010/01/21/san-francisco-49ers-hire-disciple-of-late-bobb-mckittrick/

With that said, our true staple up front (Big Trent) was drafted #4 overall when he came out of college. He is not a typical low round pick, he is the cream of the crop. Shanahan's scheme fits this guy perfectly. I know we want 5 Trent Williams type of O-linemen up front (Similar to the Hogs 1980's or the 1990's Cowboys) but I don't think that is possible in today's football due to the salary cap. Not to mention we would have to consistently draft in the top 5-10 picks to make that happen which is also highly unlikely.

Big $ now goes to QB's & WR's, with that you get one Trent Williams (once in a generation talent) up front on most good teams.

My thought when reading your post is we do not have Bob McKittrick. Some say Scarnecchia(?) was that to Bill in NE all those years.

I figured once we found Brock and he had his damn elbow blown up, they would shift focus to protecting him, but ...nope.

Kept him healthy last year.

Besides you can't hit these guys anymore, holding is okay, and then there's Shanahan's scheme.

Seems like holding is ok for every team except us and that goes double for kc when they play us.
is Trent overrated?

All I hear about our O-line is how weak it is, I rarely hear about the once in a lifetime future H.O.F left tackle that we have on that o-line.

When he was out last season the offense was horrible. We couldn't run the ball at all. Its quite scray tbh.

FACTS

I think a lot of people bash the o-line because we only have 1 household name up front. I watched Bill Walsh use this same strategy when he had o-line coach Bobb McKittrick. If we really think about it; Shanahan has gotten to two super bowls using a similar strategy (Coaching up UDFA and late round picks to man the o-line positions).

https://www.mercurynews.com/2010/01/21/san-francisco-49ers-hire-disciple-of-late-bobb-mckittrick/

With that said, our true staple up front (Big Trent) was drafted #4 overall when he came out of college. He is not a typical low round pick, he is the cream of the crop. Shanahan's scheme fits this guy perfectly. I know we want 5 Trent Williams type of O-linemen up front (Similar to the Hogs 1980's or the 1990's Cowboys) but I don't think that is possible in today's football due to the salary cap. Not to mention we would have to consistently draft in the top 5-10 picks to make that happen which is also highly unlikely.

Big $ now goes to QB's & WR's, with that you get one Trent Williams (once in a generation talent) up front on most good teams.

My thought when reading your post is we do not have Bob McKittrick. Some say Scarnecchia(?) was that to Bill in NE all those years.

I figured once we found Brock and he had his damn elbow blown up, they would shift focus to protecting him, but ...nope.

That was a back up TE that missed that block (NFCCG Injury vs Philly) not a O-linemen. So if there was an issue it was scheme related not O-line related.

The OLine needed attention. It got some but not enough.

Again tho....just wish posters would also include which positions got too much attention with which players (specifically). That'd give us some kind of barometer to go by and look into.

It's not like they're just sitting idly by as opportunity passes by. They were a hair away from a SB victory for the 2nd time in several years,...lol.

They must be doing something other than not paying attention.

Again tho,...would love to hear which positions got too much attention this offseason to the detriment of the OL?
Originally posted by random49er:

Again tho....just wish posters would also include which positions got too much attention with which players (specifically). That'd give us some kind of barometer to go by and look into.

It's not like they're just sitting idly by as opportunity passes by. They were a hair away from a SB victory for the 2nd time in several years,...lol.

Again tho,...would love to hear which positions got too much attention this offseason to the detriment of the OL?

We've spent a good amount of resources on OL

Trades - 4
New FA signings - 24
UDFA - 20

Drafted
1st - 1
2nd - 1
3rd - 1
4th - 1
5th - 2
6th - 3
7th - 0
Draft Total - 9

57 OL have been Drafted, Signed or traded for since 2017

4 NFCCG and 2 SBs later and OL still wasn't the reason we lost.

I'd prefer a list of who they should've gotten. It seems most just want investment made regardless of The Who.

A concept I find crazy.
nm
[ Edited by random49er on Jul 3, 2024 at 2:42 PM ]
is Trent overrated?

FACTS

That was a back up TE that missed that block (NFCCG Injury vs Philly) not a O-linemen. So if there was an issue it was scheme related not O-line related.

It was both the line not recognizing Reddick was one on one v with Kroft and you have rest. That was on the right tackle to adjust call a time out whatever to not let that happen however yea that was a back up tight end.

Originally posted by bassmanr:
is Trent overrated?

FACTS

It was both the line not recognizing Reddick was one on one v with Kroft and you have rest. That was on the right tackle to adjust call a time out whatever to not let that happen however yea that was a back up tight end.
RT calling time outs now? lol
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

We've spent a good amount of resources on OL

Trades - 4
New FA signings - 24
UDFA - 20

Drafted
1st - 1
2nd - 1
3rd - 1
4th - 1
5th - 2
6th - 3
7th - 0
Draft Total - 9

57 OL have been Drafted, Signed or traded for since 2017

4 NFCCG and 2 SBs later and OL still wasn't the reason we lost.
is Trent overrated?

FACTS

Stop the play or make adjustments. I know you only see one side but in reality your just plain defending the miss assignment of blocking Reddick. Either it's Kyle calling the personnel or a RT not accounting for Reddick. Which one or what's your excuse.
is Trent overrated?

FACTS

Stop the play or make adjustments. I know you only see one side but in reality your just plain defending the miss assignment of blocking Reddick. Either it's Kyle calling the personnel or a RT not accounting for Reddick. Which one or what's your excuse.

Couldn't possibly be Kyle's fault!

He's an offensive genius, with the greatest scheme ever created.

How could it possibly be his fault???
is Trent overrated?

FACTS

Couldn't possibly be Kyle's fault!

He's an offensive genius, with the greatest scheme ever created.

How could it possibly be his fault???

Share 49ersWebzone