LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 138 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yeah, Felicano is a big loss. Zackelj is just another Brendel with less experience, and Kyle needs a center with a lot of experience in this offense because the QB has enough to handle with all the route adjustments as the motions changes the defensive coverage alignments.

The Center calls out the OLine protections and I'm not confident either Zakelj or Burford have the smarts to call the right protection adjustments with all the simulated pressures being brought on Brock.

Man if only there was a draft that was loaded with good young centers
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah, Felicano is a big loss. Zackelj is just another Brendel with less experience, and Kyle needs a center with a lot of experience in this offense because the QB has enough to handle with all the route adjustments as the motions changes the defensive coverage alignments.

The Center calls out the OLine protections and I'm not confident either Zakelj or Burford have the smarts to call the right protection adjustments with all the simulated pressures being brought on Brock.

This was definitely the year to draft a Center. Too bad they won't keep Nugent, I can't believe he went undrafted.

I told you guys hoping for the team to draft a center not to get your hopes up. It'll never happen under Shanny.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

This was definitely the year to draft a Center. Too bad they won't keep Nugent, I can't believe he went undrafted.

I always thought Shany was very particular about the Center position. When he first started, his first line of business was acquiring a center. Cant remember the name he was a Vet.
Originally posted by TD49ers:
I always thought Shany was very particular about the Center position. When he first started, his first line of business was acquiring a center. Cant remember the name he was a Vet.

Weston Richburg? You're right that Shanny is very particular about the center. They brought in Richburg and then Alex Mack. He specifically wants a vet that he trusts at that position.

There's something they like about Jake Brendel that we aren't seeing.
[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 25, 2024 at 12:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

Weston Richburg? You're right that Shanny is very particular about the center. They brought in Richburg and then Alex Mack. He specifically wants vet that he trusts at that position.

He's probably the only one that is the most knowledgeable of the system
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 25, 2024 at 4:43 PM ]
Tuesday teams must be down to 53 man squads.

I hope we can get lucky and find one or two OL guys that can help us.
We have some good future pieces at C/G but we have no quality young prospects at OT.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Heroism:

Weston Richburg? You're right that Shanny is very particular about the center. They brought in Richburg and then Alex Mack. He specifically wants vet that he trusts at that position.

He's probably the only one that is the most knowledgeable of the system

Pretty much. He's a vet that has very few mental lapses. He's nothing special but is decent enough.

If Feliciano didn't get hurt OL, he probably would've been starting at C tho.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Tuesday teams must be down to 53 man squads.

I hope we can get lucky and find one or two OL guys that can help us.

We won't.

An o-lineman that gets relased is trash in today's NFL.

Teams rarely have 5 good starting o-linemen so just imagine the ones that don't make the cut.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree 💯 % that it was a missed draft opportunity this offseason.

All I can say from a positive optimistic standpoint is that historically ShanaLynch have done well later in the draft and maybe they are confident they can find another Puni/Banks 2.0 for the left tackle and center positon next year.

As for this year - if Brendel can hold the fort down while Felicano gets healthy, this might be one of Kyle's deeper OLines going into the playoffs if everybody else stays healthy.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

This is exactly what I am concerned about as well. McKivitz is below replacement level at RT. I'm not sure what they see in him. On this particular play I think BP probably shouldn't have tried that throw anyway but still McKivitz was a turnstile.
The real issue is getting Williams back in there. Without him the rest of the line is going to look average to poor. Now they're talking about his holdout lasting into the opener. I'm afraid we may see more of these holdouts next year. It's what happens when you get too many high paid players. Everyone else wants to get paid too and you just can't them all.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The real issue is getting Williams back in there. Without him the rest of the line is going to look average to poor. Now they're talking about his holdout lasting into the opener. I'm afraid we may see more of these holdouts next year. It's what happens when you get too many high paid players. Everyone else wants to get paid too and you just can't them all.

Let them all go. Just keep the OLine, Kittle, Purdy and CMC.
Share 49ersWebzone