George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 124 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I agree. I think it was a bad predetermined throw. Same predetermined throw issue on 3rd and 4 in the 4th quarter to JJ when Aiyuk was wide open.

As awesome as Purdy is and has been (Top 7-8) he definitely has room to improve, as all young QBs do.

bad predetermined throw? are we talking from preseason?

i would encourage, get the ball out with no hit on the QB. i could care less where the ball goes. you just don't want a hit on brock here

He decided where he was going with the ball before he threw it. That is what is called a predetermined throw. It was a bad choice to do that. It doesn't matter if it is preseason. He also is scrambling around and throwing off schedule in preseason. He sometimes predetermines where he is going with the ball (as all QBs do). He did it in the SB on 3rd and 4 at the 2 minute warning. He admitted it was the wrong choice this offseason because he missed Aiyuk wide open on the play that would have sealed the SB.

Anyway, Brock is a top QB and it's exciting to think he still has room to improve.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Aug 26, 2024 at 10:03 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Man, if Kyle only would invests on OL instead of RBs in the draft, that would be awesome.

I think he over does RB's and WR's. Completely ignores the offensive line. While I'm ok with picking the prior two. We already got a lot there and lack offensive line. I hate that they keep ignoring it.
It's not ignoring it, it's priority. Having top skill guys with an avg line or possibly paying for a blue chip avg OL with avg skill guys

Uhhh, we already have top skill guys. We need a beefed up oline, cheap on rookie contract.
Exactly, that's why OL can be moved up the priority list as we hit on skill

As soon as they ignore those skill positions they'll be needing them. Receivers and backs get injured a lot. They also want big money and are likely to leave r become a cap casualty. When teams draft they have to consider what's going to happen next year and the year after as far as contracts go. They can't just be concerned about the coming season. They look ahead to what will be coming out of college the following year when there may be better lineman available to them. Fans act like drafting is so easy. It isn't a fantasy league where you get to move players around halfway into the season.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Man, if Kyle only would invests on OL instead of RBs in the draft, that would be awesome.

I think he over does RB's and WR's. Completely ignores the offensive line. While I'm ok with picking the prior two. We already got a lot there and lack offensive line. I hate that they keep ignoring it.
It's not ignoring it, it's priority. Having top skill guys with an avg line or possibly paying for a blue chip avg OL with avg skill guys

Uhhh, we already have top skill guys. We need a beefed up oline, cheap on rookie contract.

As soon as they ignore those skill positions they'll be needing them. Receivers and backs get injured a lot. They also want big money and are likely to leave r become a cap casualty. When teams draft they have to consider what's going to happen next year and the year after as far as contracts go. They can't just be concerned about the coming season. They look ahead to what will be coming out of college the following year when there may be better lineman available to them. Fans act like drafting is so easy. It isn't a fantasy league where you get to move players around halfway into the season.
If Puni, Kingston and Nuggent hit, we can still take stabs at skill and OL like we did this draft

Skill positions are not being ignored. We get players like Dante Pettis, Jalen Hurd, Trey Sermon, Danny Gray, Tyrion Davis-Price. Day 2 draft they got Puni and Banks. If they invested more on oline just a little bit…
Skill positions are not being ignored. We get players like Dante Pettis, Jalen Hurd, Trey Sermon, Danny Gray, Tyrion Davis-Price. Day 2 draft they got Puni and Banks. If they invested more on oline just a little bit…

They need to invest more at OT and center. You can grab OGs late day 2/day 3.

Moore was the last legit OT they drafted and it was in the 5th rd. I don't think they've ever draft a true center prospect. MO that's a failure, s**t this past draft was stocked with good young talent there.

You got to go with skill, because you can end up with bust OL picks also
They better get Trent W in there soon.

If Puni, Kingston and Nuggent hit, we can still take stabs at skill and OL like we did this draft

Still missing Tackle unless Puni can play there and he probably can in the future. It's not enough guys though. Some combination of Kingston and Nuggent will be gone. I doubt they keep both. But who knows. We need Tackle big time. Guard is better now with Puni and when Banks comes back from the injury. We have big problems at Tackle though.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

he can eat wings from the booth
that's what C Jones did and they won the SB anyway
i'm over these guys
Originally posted by NYniner85:

They need to invest more at OT and center. You can grab OGs late day 2/day 3.

Moore was the last legit OT they drafted and it was in the 5th rd. I don't think they've ever draft a true center prospect. MO that's a failure, s**t this past draft was stocked with good young talent there.

I agree but who were they supposed to get? Last year all the top linemen were gone when their pick came up. It's usually like that. So they can reach and use their first on a player that's rated as a 2nd or 3rd round pick or they can go for a skill player. If you look around the league most teams don't have great O lines. Certaily not much depth. The Niners are lucky that Washington was willing to trade one of the best tackles in all of football. Otherwise the O line would be in even worse shape.

yeah the draft is a hell of a crap shoot.....On top of that, you have the biggest bottleneck...time...... You have to get a player you think can fit, then you have to develop him. You can probably only keep so many of those people in the pipeline before they can't get the time they need to develop.

In the years since they drafted Pettis they have drafted McGlinchey, Skule, Mckivits, banks, Moore, Burford, Zakelj, Puni and Kingston...

What is that 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, two 5ths and two 6ths? In 5 years that is 8 guys with half of the guys 4th round or better.

that is 9 WR vs 8 linemen...that is not that out of wack when you consider what the 49ers want from a lineman, probably not a ton of those dudes meet the agility standards for the system. On top of that you need to fill other needs like Special teams and returners....
[ Edited by Dshearn on Aug 26, 2024 at 3:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Dshearn:

yeah the draft is a hell of a crap shoot.....On top of that, you have the biggest bottleneck...time...... You have to get a player you think can fit, then you have to develop him. You can probably only keep so many of those people in the pipeline before they can't get the time they need to develop.

In the years since they drafted Pettis they have drafted McGlinchey, Skule, Mckivits, banks, Moore, Burford, Zakelj, Puni and Kingston...

What is that 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, two 5ths and two 6ths? In 5 years that is 8 guys with half of the guys 4th round or better.

that is 9 WR vs 8 linemen...that is not that out of wack when you consider what the 49ers want from a lineman, probably not a ton of those dudes meet the agility standards for the system. On top of that you need to fill other needs like Special teams and returners....

Whats wild is McGlinchey is a successful pick, in spite of what people think. Just shows the state of Oline around the league. But it also adds to how much these guys aren't really developing.

I still think it was a mistake to let Brunskill walk. Should've paid him and put him at RT. McKivitz at swing tackle. Unless we see better, this should be his last year starting.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Yeah this is getting ridiculous. Not digging the vibes going into week 1.
Pray for Purdy.

The odds of a 6th rounder and a UDFA both turning into quality starters are extremely slim
Share 49ersWebzone