Originally posted by mcwoot:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Man, if Kyle only would invests on OL instead of RBs in the draft, that would be awesome.

I think he over does RB's and WR's. Completely ignores the offensive line. While I'm ok with picking the prior two. We already got a lot there and lack offensive line. I hate that they keep ignoring it.
It's not ignoring it, it's priority. Having top skill guys with an avg line or possibly paying for a blue chip avg OL with avg skill guys

Uhhh, we already have top skill guys. We need a beefed up oline, cheap on rookie contract.
Exactly, that's why OL can be moved up the priority list as we hit on skill

As soon as they ignore those skill positions they'll be needing them. Receivers and backs get injured a lot. They also want big money and are likely to leave r become a cap casualty. When teams draft they have to consider what's going to happen next year and the year after as far as contracts go. They can't just be concerned about the coming season. They look ahead to what will be coming out of college the following year when there may be better lineman available to them. Fans act like drafting is so easy. It isn't a fantasy league where you get to move players around halfway into the season.
If Puni, Kingston and Nuggent hit, we can still take stabs at skill and OL like we did this draft

The odds of a 6th rounder and a UDFA both turning into quality starters are extremely slim
They have been over achieving so far. So it's a lot better than what we're used to
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
They have been over achieving so far. So it's a lot better than what we're used to

Purdy's quick release has helped the 49ers OLine pass protection looked good, just as McCaffrey's tier one RB abilities make the OLine run blocking look good. Both players elevate the OLine, and each other to a large extent. It's a team game and how you put the pieces together.

The type of QB has factored in building the OLine. Richburg, Alex Mack, Trent, Brunskill, Feliciano, and others have helped build a more run blocking OLine. That has helped limited skill set QBs like Jimmy and Trey.

However it's a different picture with an elite passer like Brock. McKivitz is a much better pass blocker than McGlinchy (for example), and ShanaLynch has to continue faster to transition that OLine to a more pass oriented Squad for Brock.
With TW out a rookie whos never played a regular season nfl down is probably the best player along the line.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Man, if Kyle only would invests on OL instead of RBs in the draft, that would be awesome.

I think he over does RB's and WR's. Completely ignores the offensive line. While I'm ok with picking the prior two. We already got a lot there and lack offensive line. I hate that they keep ignoring it.
It's not ignoring it, it's priority. Having top skill guys with an avg line or possibly paying for a blue chip avg OL with avg skill guys

Uhhh, we already have top skill guys. We need a beefed up oline, cheap on rookie contract.
Exactly, that's why OL can be moved up the priority list as we hit on skill

As soon as they ignore those skill positions they'll be needing them. Receivers and backs get injured a lot. They also want big money and are likely to leave r become a cap casualty. When teams draft they have to consider what's going to happen next year and the year after as far as contracts go. They can't just be concerned about the coming season. They look ahead to what will be coming out of college the following year when there may be better lineman available to them. Fans act like drafting is so easy. It isn't a fantasy league where you get to move players around halfway into the season.

Skill positions are not being ignored. We get players like Dante Pettis, Jalen Hurd, Trey Sermon, Danny Gray, Tyrion Davis-Price. Day 2 draft they got Puni and Banks. If they invested more on oline just a little bit…

yeah the draft is a hell of a crap shoot.....On top of that, you have the biggest bottleneck...time...... You have to get a player you think can fit, then you have to develop him. You can probably only keep so many of those people in the pipeline before they can't get the time they need to develop.

In the years since they drafted Pettis they have drafted McGlinchey, Skule, Mckivits, banks, Moore, Burford, Zakelj, Puni and Kingston...

What is that 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, two 5ths and two 6ths? In 5 years that is 8 guys with half of the guys 4th round or better.

that is 9 WR vs 8 linemen...that is not that out of wack when you consider what the 49ers want from a lineman, probably not a ton of those dudes meet the agility standards for the system. On top of that you need to fill other needs like Special teams and returners....

Whats wild is McGlinchey is a successful pick, in spite of what people think. Just shows the state of Oline around the league. But it also adds to how much these guys aren't really developing.

I still think it was a mistake to let Brunskill walk. Should've paid him and put him at RT. McKivitz at swing tackle. Unless we see better, this should be his last year starting.

When you look at what the league rate is for draft picks becoming becoming multi year starters...I think it was like 12%, with the next closest group being guys who can start from time to time being 10%. We all know some guys start that really should not, and this stat does not address that....if you start..it puts you a tier above guys who can't or don't start.

Only 7% of starters ended up with a second contract from the team that drafted them, and only 1% ended up multi year all pros, HOF type players.

That is really only about 30% of players being useful if you give value to guys that are not even starters...20% if you have no value for guys that can't start in the NFL.

If you look at the 49ers drafting, my gut reaction is saying they are matching or beating league average. I did not go player by player, but I think it is fair to say they have not been poor at drafting.

If we do go player by player on the o-line draft picks they are smashing the NFL average. McG, McKivits, Banks,Buford, and Puni are NFL starters... That is 5 out 8.

You can say some of these dudes are low level starters, and that is fair...but the odds of even finding a starter is an uphill battle.

There is 260 players taken in every draft, it is hard enough to get good players at any position, let alone all pro linemen.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
With TW out a rookie whos never played a regular season nfl down is probably the best player along the line.

where is NC only he can save us now, we cast him out and look at what happened
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

yeah i really miss him turning every thread into the OL thread

He spun himself into an unstoppable vortex

lol I miss my o line buddy
Pray for Purdy.

He'll need them, TW is our only excellent OL guy.

Puni has yet to be tested by top NFL guys but I think he'll do very well.

That still leaves Brock running for his life.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Pray for Purdy.

A million variables go into a season, but TW being there was always requirement number 1 in my mind. Without him I simply don't see us doing anything when it counts. I wonder how the locker room feels tho... imo we missed out chance. Lets hope Purdy is magic.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:
When you look at what the league rate is for draft picks becoming becoming multi year starters...I think it was like 12%, with the next closest group being guys who can start from time to time being 10%. We all know some guys start that really should not, and this stat does not address that....if you start..it puts you a tier above guys who can't or don't start.

Only 7% of starters ended up with a second contract from the team that drafted them, and only 1% ended up multi year all pros, HOF type players.

That is really only about 30% of players being useful if you give value to guys that are not even starters...20% if you have no value for guys that can't start in the NFL.

If you look at the 49ers drafting, my gut reaction is saying they are matching or beating league average. I did not go player by player, but I think it is fair to say they have not been poor at drafting.

If we do go player by player on the o-line draft picks they are smashing the NFL average. McG, McKivits, Banks,Buford, and Puni are NFL starters... That is 5 out 8.

You can say some of these dudes are low level starters, and that is fair...but the odds of even finding a starter is an uphill battle.

There is 260 players taken in every draft, it is hard enough to get good players at any position, let alone all pro linemen.

Those stats ring true. A big part of the 49er OLine has been built on top of Journeymen free agency (Person, Compton, Brunskill etc.), and so just looking at the draft of offensive linemen is a bit misleading as to the intent of ShanaLynch and thinking they don't prioritize it.

If there is a position that requires a premium draft pick, it would be the left and right tackles (specially left tackle). The interior, to a certain extent, can be obtained via free agency. That doesn't mean I like the 49ers OLine as it is, I do want a bit more depth and a bit more interior stoutness to protect Brock, but Kyle's been doing this OLine smoke and mirrors thing for a long time with journeymen players - and he's made it work to a certain extent (4 out of the last 5 he's made it to the NFC conference championship).

I do hope Kingston makes it through waivers and comes back on the team.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I heard he was banned? Was he really?👀

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Pray for Purdy.

A million variables go into a season, but TW being there was always requirement number 1 in my mind. Without him I simply don't see us doing anything when it counts. I wonder how the locker room feels tho... imo we missed out chance. Lets hope Purdy is magic.

Amen brother!
Share 49ersWebzone