There are 178 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
at what point does our Oline coach get some blame..... everyone keeps saying its our players which they're correct, but damn no one talks about our Oline coach.....
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
Whether it was them or the play call there were multiple plays today where the Vikings had a defender completely unblocked to the QB. You would think the 49ers would have learned from the last play of the SB but I guess not.

The OL gets exposed against the elite DCs. It was rather complacent to commit to Purdy, look at last season's struggles, and still not prioritize upgrading the OL.
Broken record on this s**t. Our RG is average, and the C, RT are all below average players. Jury still out on Puni. And our LT is closing in on 40. No real development of any players behind these guys. No depth. It's cool though every team has a s**tty o line.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lamontb:
Broken record on this s**t. Our RG is average, and the C, RT are all below average players. Jury still out on Puni. And our LT is closing in on 40. No real development of any players behind these guys. No depth. It's cool though every team has a s**tty o line.

Wait, you call the RG average then proceed to say jury still out on Puni?
I get the philosophy of not prioritizing OL over skill players, as skill players are the guys who put points on the board. Yet you have to be flexible & smart with that philosophy and remember football is still a game that's won in the trenches. You need a better OL than what the Niners have continued to put out there over the Shanahan era.

Currently, Puni looks promising for a rookie, Banks is above average IMO, and you have the dominant Williams who's 36. But being satisfied with Brendel at C and McKivitz at RT is unacceptable, especially on a team with such high hopes and excellent talent on both sides of the ball. You put Brendel and McKivitz vs. quality DL and/or a good scheme and it's immediate trouble where you have to gameplan somehow to accommodate those mismatches, which is a big risk in running an effective (and complex) offense against such teams.

Look at last year's playoff run...every team the Niners faced had far and away a better OL. Green Bay, Detroit, KC...those teams' OL were a big factor in helping them get as far as they did and each were a big factor against the Niners.

The Niners need to do what it takes to finally match up better with its OL vs. quality opposition. I know it's a completely different era, but every one of the Niners' five SB winning teams had good-to-great OLs that controlled things up front. I remember thinking before each of those SBs that the Niners were going to win the battle of the trenches on offense with the OLs they had put together. It was a comforting thought because even back then you knew how important it was for a team with championship aspirations to have a championship-level OL.
Surprised to see Puni get such a low PFF grade. He was one of the 3 lowest graded players on offense.I didn't see much pressure coming from the right side or even up the middle. So it must have been the run blocking grade that really hurt him because I did notice they get alot of good runs to the right in this game.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Wait, you call the RG average then proceed to say jury still out on Puni?

I meant LG was average, My bad.
[ Edited by lamontb on Sep 16, 2024 at 11:28 AM ]
I watched the line during the game and each of the OL played bad but to me Brendel played the worst. I didn't see proper adjustments to the pass blocking scheme and I noticed he was pancaked on a few plays.
Soft and wet
Share 49ersWebzone