There are 262 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
That they didn't even bring in competition for McKivitz and Brendel blows my mind. Those are two guys that shouldn't be starting anywhere and they just up and handed them the job like they're All Pros.

It's not good, and it falls squarely on the head coach. Same goes for the consistently poor ST play, too - Schneider hasn't been good.
That they didn't even bring in competition for McKivitz and Brendel blows my mind. Those are two guys that shouldn't be starting anywhere and they just up and handed them the job like they're All Pros.

At this point, it's stubborness and arrogance IMO I expected better from a so-called offensive genius. Wasting away a closing window fast and not even prioritizing protecting your potential FQB.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
The ol played a good half. I swear the expectation of some fans is if you ever allowed a pressure you're god awful

The Rams aren't exactly a pass rushing juggernaut and they were still able to continually get pressure on Purdy. Then you had several whiffed blocks in the run game that resulted in either no gain or a loss.

If you want to argue that they've played well, be my guest.

Some fans will defend them to death, but it's pretty obvious to most of us this o line is the issue that's never been properly addressed.

Yup. I like the potential of the guys we took (Pearsall and Green) but we absolutely could've brought in competition at RT and C. With center there are a couple of rookies that would've been upgrades. Year 1. No waiting.

I can't even take this team seriously as trying to win it all. Will they win? Yes. I expect them to even make another deep playoff run. But seal the deal when the pressure is on? We're just hoping for luck.

Also as I stated in another post, it's likely their Oline evaluation just isn't good if they didn't see one rookie in the entire draft that could challenge Brendel (and Zakelj who apparently can't beat out Brendel).
Originally posted by ninerFate:

At this point, it's stubborness and arrogance IMO I expected better from a so-called offensive genius. Wasting away a closing window fast and not even prioritizing protecting your potential FQB.

He is an offensive genius to continue to put up good offenses with a bottom third O-line. He's also stubborn and arrogant to think he can get by with it. I'd just like a middle of the pack group. Imagine this offense with a pass blocking O-line ranked 16th. We'd average 35 a game.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

He is an offensive genius to continue to put up good offenses with a bottom third O-line. He's also stubborn and arrogant to think he can get by with it. I'd just like a middle of the pack group. Imagine this offense with a pass blocking O-line ranked 16th. We'd average 35 a game.

He is talented offensively, but unfortunately his own hubris holds him and the team back from going all way. Or at least makes things WAY harder than it already is and the fact that there is a continued pattern of this is frustrating.
[ Edited by ninerFate on Sep 22, 2024 at 3:25 PM ]
We're reaping the bad OL drafting these last few years.

Not finding better talent (draft, FA, trades) than what this team is putting out there at C and RT to prioritize protecting your potential FQB is inexcusable.

Completely disagree it's a "closing window" for this team - not when you have a QB like Purdy along with the overall talent on both sides of the ball.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

The last few drafts have been terrible. We aren't hitting on enough players anymore.

This, and just not bringing in better OL talent via any means to compete with guys like Brendel and McKivitz is inexcusable. We're seeing the results, unfortunately, and we will continue to see them, especially against better teams.

Originally posted by Cisco0623:

The last few drafts have been terrible. We aren't hitting on enough players anymore.

2022 was trash save for Purdy and UDFA Mason.

2023 looks bad, but the only guys we really have gotten to see are Moody who may have been overdraft but I'll still say is solid and Brown who is meh. I'd like to see more Luter, Beal, and Winters.

2024 - I was excited about but they won't let them play.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Some fans will defend them to death, but it's pretty obvious to most of us this o line is the issue that's never been properly addressed.

Not finding a center was the big problem. Instead of a kicker that should've been prioritized then. Can't hide a center getting dominated.
He had enough time to shoot a wad a couple of times today. OL maybe not perfect but down the list after D and ST.
Originally posted by 9erson3:
He had enough time to shoot a wad a couple of times today. OL maybe not perfect but down the list after D and ST.
OL sucks but today they gave purdy all the time he needed. He had 1 functional receiver. 1.
I was begging us to draft a RT who can swing to LT at the end of the season because Williams is old. Not only is he old, he sat out camp and looks like he is out of shape. Last 2 games he has been awful. So now we are with an over paid awful LT and a RT who should be a backup at best
Share 49ersWebzone