There are 223 users in the forums

Offseason Film analysis thread - Passing concepts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
A continuation from post#156

Slant-Flat concept
Lloyd (slant) + Carrier (flat). I can't tell what coverage this is. Looks like cover3 with the strongside CB playing man on Lloyd. KC pattern matches often so it could also be cover1 pattern match. This play a typical slant-flat 3 step timing play. The play in post #156 was the non-standard way to run it.

3 step drop completed. I think Kap's key is the blue defender. Blue is trailing Carrier and in the passing lane to the slant. There's also a defender behind blue who is playing the passing lane to the slant.

Mid windup. The correct throw is to the flat (Carrier).

3 step footwork.

A little slant-flat from 1994. Looks like our progression in 1994 was flat and then slant.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
I think Kap is going to create a new category of Quarterback starting this season.
I think a perfect 7STORM is coming. Geep with concepts and adjustments. Logan drilling every important thing he's learned this offseason in his head starting this month all the way to the season and an actual mix of weapons that pose a threat on every level instead of having a group that if we're being honest could really be herded into the same areas with no worry of being beat over the top.

FIXED

There's only one S in 'storm' btw.
You can see Slant-Flat from the TV broadcast. No need for all22.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:

A little slant-flat from 1994. Looks like our progression in 1994 was flat and then slant.

Nice finds with these peeks into the playbook.
Originally posted by thl408:

I just love looking at these old plays. It's like works of art The TOP play shown really isn't related to the current discussion, but look at how bad ass it is. SE is running a Dino, but it also looks like a shake is avail(think a route sold as a slant but then broken to an out). What I really love though is the adjustment built in for a cover 2 look. Slot guy is gonna try to split the safeties and the TE is gonna try to exploit the soft spot on the corner in the cover 2.

I just love looking at these old plays. It's like works of art The TOP play shown really isn't related to the current discussion, but look at how bad ass it is. SE is running a Dino, but it also looks like a shake is avail(think a route sold as a slant but then broken to an out). What I really love though is the adjustment built in for a cover 2 look. Slot guy is gonna try to split the safeties and the TE is gonna try to exploit the soft spot on the corner in the cover 2.

love it
jonnydel, do you plan on covering the Levels concept? I saw you categorized it in the OP as a concept he struggled with. I don't recall him targeting the Levels concept very much. I know the 49ers ran it, just not Kap targeting it.

Yeah, I was gonna hit that tomorrow evening
Originally posted by verb1der:
I really like the analysis. But I feel like some of you guys are expecting Kaep to be one day like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady.

not gonna happen, lol

I think Ben Rothlesberger is his ceiling, which is still pretty damn good.

Well, those guys do have 5 rings between them and their teams are in the playoffs every year, even without stellar rosters, so, yeah, for me, that would be ideal and the standard to which I will hold him.
  • kaynj
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
f**king beautiful.

look at the difference.

Kap is taking even longer and it's a THREE step drop while Rodgers is taking a FIVE step drop. no excuse as to why Kap is getting the ball out slower.

I don't know looks like someone isn't teaching fundamentals really.

Makes me wonder why would they hire Geep as the OC when he was Kap's QB coach
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
f**king beautiful.

look at the difference.

Kap is taking even longer and it's a THREE step drop while Rodgers is taking a FIVE step drop. no excuse as to why Kap is getting the ball out slower.

Funny thing to point out is there is no way AR even knew if the receiver was open or not. He drops back and throws. Couldn't That have been an int just as easily?
He did take a quick glance to confirm, but he knew what he was facing. It's a standard coverage that SEA uses versus a 3x1 set with the backside WR split outside the numbers. It's cover3 with the backside CB locked up in man coverage (vs Nelson).

AAron takes a peek.

Started his windup. Two things give AAron the confidence to quickly make this throw. The threat that Nelson can go vertical, which gets the CB running full speed up the field, and seeing the back of the jersey of the CB - man coverage, the CB won't see the throw coming. As long as he throws it before Nelson makes his break, and its well placed, the pass is safe.

It's a prime example of great QB play. You see how quickly, efficiently and effectively he gets to the 1 receiver that was open on the play.

Thank you guys!

So, if a QB has "it", do you feel with more practice a QB can get close to where AR is by putting in the necessary work, and if so does Kap have that "it" factor or is it to early to tell in his career?

Originally posted by jonnydel:
jonnydel, do you plan on covering the Levels concept? I saw you categorized it in the OP as a concept he struggled with. I don't recall him targeting the Levels concept very much. I know the 49ers ran it, just not Kap targeting it.

Yeah, I was gonna hit that tomorrow evening

He's a start to the levels concept - I'll be adding more examples throughout the day.

Here's an example of CK executing the "levels" well.

Here DAL is trying to give an all-out blitz look by "sugaring" the A-gaps. It's just a term for the 2 ILB lining up right over each side of the center. For you Madden players you might remember a couple plays in the playbook in Madden 25 and 13 from the 49ers defensive playbook. "Nickel 2-4-5 'sugar cover 3". Where you'd have the 2 ILB's lined up like this - that's the coverage that DAL goes with, "sugar cover 3". They're going to back out into a cover 3 zone.

At the snap you see how DAL backs out - they're going with a combo coverage ala SEA where they play cover 3 zone except for the single receiver side, where they're playing man coverage. Also, a good screenshot to display the difference in how corners play man coverage and zone. you see how the zone defender has his hips opened up to the inside of the field. This means he's leveraging his player towards the rest of the defense. Whereas, the man coverage guy is opening his hips up to the sideline - he's using the sideline as his "help" defender.

Anyhoo, we're running a levels concept. I like the design of this play with the 2 curls. The levels concept creates a hi/lo stretch against an underneath defender, usually a LB. I've highlighted that stretch in yellow and the "key" defender. This is what those guys are talking about when they talk about a QB "reading his keys". It's the key defenders that tell you where to throw the ball.

You see #54 the "key" defender" turn to identify his nearest target, VD.

The "key" has dropped "hi", so, you throw to the "lo" route. Hence, the hi/lo stretch. You force the defense to choose between 2 routes. It's a 2-1 stretch.

You see, with the "key" defender dropping back on VD, CK throws the ball to Boldin right on time as he's coming across into the open zone.

Boldin makes the catch in open space and gains 12 yards.
  • thl408
^^
Levels concept
I think Kap is going to create a new category of Quarterback starting this season.
I think a perfect 7STORM is coming. Geep with concepts and adjustments. Logan drilling every important thing he's learned this offseason in his head starting this month all the way to the season and an actual mix of weapons that pose a threat on every level instead of having a group that if we're being honest could really be herded into the same areas with no worry of being beat over the top.

FIXED

oops hah yeah. There is a 7torm coming. I no speaky the Kaepernese too good.

Also, that throw looks doo doo. Shouldn't that ball be placed lower and to the outside where he can catch it in stride and head up the sideline?
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 21, 2015 at 11:49 PM ]

FIXED

oops hah yeah. There is a 7torm coming. I no speaky the Kaepernese too good.

Also, that throw looks doo doo. Shouldn't that ball be placed lower and to the outside where he can catch it in stride and head up the sideline?

Yeah, not a great throw. If you watch, his front legs extends as he throws, it's from rushing through his mechanics, means he has to speed things up a bit where he's comfortable going through that full speed. That front leg is what causes the ball to sail high and to the left.
Here's an example of the spot concept. This was a concept that I graded CK out as "ok". 14% negative, 43% positive 43% ok

Here's a couple of about 7 variances of the spot concept from Jon Grudens 1998 playbook

The spot concept is a progession read, looking to threaten the defense in a triangle of both vertical and horizontal. It's comprised of a spot or snag route, a corner route or streak from the outside receiver and a flat route.

Here's a spot from the Raiders game. It's the 1st play of the game - this is only the 2nd time all season IIRC that we ran a spot concept to open the game.

From the snap, you see CK move to his first read on the play - it's covered. One thing here though, is that if he looks to the left, he'll move that LB out of the zone and open up the "spot" route.

Here, he's hit his back foot. Miller is a little slow in getting out to the flat, he should be a step or two farther out - it would put more stress on the hook/curl defender. It appears that the Raiders aren't in a "cloud" defense. So, he either needs to get the ball to Miller for a 1-2 yard gain or throw the ball away - that's it.

The hook curl/curl defender has dropped to focus on the spot route. Miller can be hit for at least a couple yards. Again, it's either Miller or throw the ball away.

You see Gore - his 3rd read on the play is on the ground - so, he needs to throw the ball away - he doesn't and throws a bad pick.
[ Edited by jonnydel on Apr 23, 2015 at 10:32 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone