There are 193 users in the forums

Offseason Film analysis thread - Passing concepts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
816, was it you that posted the diagrammed Hank concepts? If so, can you post that again?
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by thl408:
Nice find 816. Notice in those plays the split backfield, which gives the RB a head start on the flare outs. I wonder if Geep will re-introduce that. HaRo used it in 2011, but for whatever reason stopped doing it.

Because of the read option phenomenon/excitement?

I think that very well may have something to do with it. I think another reason is the lack of solid 500 blocking from the line. Without having that back to check/release or at least chip block, our line really struggled in pass pro.
816, was it you that posted the diagrammed Hank concepts? If so, can you post that again?

Let's me see if I still have them
49ers had good success with this concept - Sucker. I don't have a nice breakdown of success/fail rate like jonnydel though.

Designed to get a vertical stretch on a hook/curl defender (zone defender in the middle of the field).

Boldin + SJ running Sucker. Key defender is the orange hook/curl defender. Versus cover3

Orange is the key defender. If he comes forward to cover the short curl (SJ), then the In route behind the Curl (Boldin) is open. If he sags off the Curl to play the passing lane to the In route, then the Curl is open. Here, orange sags off the Curl.

Completed to the Curl.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sucker concept
SJ (Curl) + Crabs (In). Targeting the hook/curl defender (orange)
Versus Tampa2

Orange defender sticks to the Curl, opening up a passing lane to the In route (Crabs).

Kap needs to nail this concept down if teams continue to play cover3 against him. He seemed to do well with it.
I really like the sucker when you add an inside vertical as well. Put VD in tight and he runs the vertical clear to allow the sucker to work solely on the LB and give our receiver more room to work after the catch.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I really like the sucker when you add an inside vertical as well. Put VD in tight and he runs the vertical clear to allow the sucker to work solely on the LB and give our receiver more room to work after the catch.

here's some play art to illustrate:

Here are the 1994 variety Hank
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
It looks this when Roman present it to the offensive players

Hehe...but this is the most unstoppable play in video game history

Go ahead and blitz, Brent jones will kill ya on the middle slant
  • thl408

here's some play art to illustrate:

Sucker + Dagger
Some had asked about some "bread and butter" passing plays during the year, or lack thereof. Well, we did have some, I saw this play a LOT throughout the year.

I'll call it a "Z" concept, as that's what Holmgren calls it in his playbook - it might be called something else that I'm unfamiliar with.

But, here's the playart: This is a double "Z". We'd run it a lot as a double Z, but, the play I'll show it's a Z on one side and a levels concept to the other side.

This works really well against zone as you put a WR working against a defender having to cover both directions with inside leverage.

You see the outside clearing route move the defender and open up space for Crabtree to work.

The play as it proceeds.

Crabtree catches the ball with some room to run - it's a nice 7-10 yard gain on most plays. This was the concept I would most call our "bread and butter" play. That and maybe the sucker concept or levels concept - we ran those quite a bit too.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:

Thanks.

Heres HaRo's Hank concept. This is a triangle stretch with mirrored Curl-Flats. What makes it Hank is the sit down route in the middle of the field (snag). It works to get a horizontal stretch at the linebacker level - underneath zone defenders - making it a nice concept against cover2 zone, cover3, and tampa2. jd, not sure how often you saw this during your film review, but these two plays I had drawn up from our post game film threads during the season.
Versus cover3

------------------------------
Versus cover3
This is taken from the Gameday film analysis thread where I drew a bunch of stuff on it.

Originally posted by Niners816:

Thanks.

Heres HaRo's Hank concept. This is a triangle stretch with mirrored Curl-Flats. What makes it Hank is the sit down route in the middle of the field (snag). It works to get a horizontal stretch at the linebacker level - underneath zone defenders - making it a nice concept against cover2 zone, cover3, and tampa2. jd, not sure how often you saw this during your film review, but these two plays I had drawn up from our post game film threads during the season.
Versus cover3

------------------------------
Versus cover3
This is taken from the Gameday film analysis thread where I drew a bunch of stuff on it.

well, I just called it curl/flat concept - my oops for ignoring the hank haha. So, the numbers breakdown on the curl/flat will almost match the hank - there were a few instances where we ran curl/flat on one side with another concept on the other.
Here's a play that CK did ok on last year - wasn't great, wasn't terrible, but could use more consistency. The key will be, getting better protection -this is a 7 step drop play - sometimes run off play action. It's a great play against zone defenses. It's the speedo concept.

This is an X-speedo

I love running this out of this formation - because it almost assures you that the defense is going to be in a cover 3 zone. 22 Personnel. The 2 vertical routes serve to clear out the 2 deep defenders in both the middle and strong side of the field. With the FB's flat route - it's similar to a flood, but, you have the "X" or SE coming across the field on a speedo route. Opens up a big area in the field.

The run action brnigs the LB's up a little bit more to open up the intermediate area.

Lance Briggs got away with an illegal contact as he slowed up VD just enough - Crabtree should be coming across just behind VD, not infront of him.

But, you see the defenders being cleared out. The red box is the area that is going to be opened up.

Just a little bit more, you see how the area is being cleared. CK also does a good job of throwing with anticipation on this play as you see, he's already thrown the ball.

You see how Crabs has a ton of room to work and is wide open when he catches the ball. I could see us utilizing TS a lot with this play. The key will be, giving CK the time in the pocket.
  • thl408
well, I just called it curl/flat concept - my oops for ignoring the hank haha. So, the numbers breakdown on the curl/flat will almost match the hank - there were a few instances where we ran curl/flat on one side with another concept on the other.

For sure the 49ers didn't always run Hank when using Curl-Flat. Don't feel bad, I didn't know mirrored Curl-Flat with a snag in the middle was "Hank" until 816 posted the diagrams from the playbook. When I first broke that play down, I called it, "mirroring Curl-Flat concepts with Crabs' curl over the middle to give three curls across the field". The proper term (name) to call a concept will differ depending on the playbook, but that's not really the point anyways. The point is properly understanding what the concept is trying to accomplish. Hank is a horizontal stretch across the field at the LB level. That doesn't change no matter what name it's given.

The Z concept you cut up above (bread and butter play), I've seen it called "Hawk". "Mills" can be called "Pin". I've seen Smash called "China".

For sure the 49ers didn't always run Hank when using Curl-Flat. Don't feel bad, I didn't know mirrored Curl-Flat with a snag in the middle was "Hank" until 816 posted the diagrams from the playbook. When I first broke that play down, I called it, "mirroring Curl-Flat concepts with Crabs' curl over the middle to give three curls across the field". The proper term (name) to call a concept will differ depending on the playbook, but that's not really the point anyways. The point is properly understanding what the concept is trying to accomplish. Hank is a horizontal stretch across the field at the LB level. That doesn't change no matter what name it's given.

The Z concept you cut up above (bread and butter play), I've seen it called "Hawk". "Mills" can be called "Pin". I've seen Smash called "China".
me too, which is odd because China is a little bit different too. As I've understood, the China concept mixes an short double move out/in route with the corner route
Some 1994 examples of "Speedo" presented in post 72

Share 49ersWebzone