LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Talked to a 49er player today

Shop Find 49ers gear online
In the bad old days in Redwood City I ran into 49ers quite a bit by accident. Even back then they were careful what they said. Even ran int Joe and Jennifer twice, once at a t Xmas tree lot. But the key was always keep it light, don't talk about team or the game. Hey good game or something simple. The old Barney Steeles Bar and Grill was a good place to see some O linemen including Randy Cross. There were a couple of exceptions over the years though. Knew a girl dating one of the guys and he would talk.

But this is my favorite story about off te field 49ers.

I went into the aforementioned bar and grill, and sat down to have lunch (and maybe an adult beverage) and was talking to a buddy of mine. The conversation centered around my father in laws upcoming birthday, how strange it was for a guy raised in Central America on soccer (Futbol) to be such a huge , rabid, fanatical fan, who his favorite players were etc. His favorite WR was Freddie Solomon.... who was sitting two stools over it turns out. I don't recognize him in this setting of course. He gets up, leaves, comes back in and introduces himself. With a freaking practice jersey in his hand! He signs it with best wishes to my father in law, and gives it to me to give to the old guy on his birthday. Got to talk for a bit...great memory. My father in law treasured that. He was a season ticket holder at the stick for many years, but that was his favorite 49er memorabilia.

The point to all of this is that this crap does happen, you can run into them and in the right setting they may actually interact with you.They are human. But the likelihood of randomly getting info from a player is remote at best these days particularly.
Originally posted by mojave45:
In the bad old days in Redwood City I ran into 49ers quite a bit by accident. Even back then they were careful what they said. Even ran int Joe and Jennifer twice, once at a t Xmas tree lot. But the key was always keep it light, don't talk about team or the game. Hey good game or something simple. The old Barney Steeles Bar and Grill was a good place to see some O linemen including Randy Cross. There were a couple of exceptions over the years though. Knew a girl dating one of the guys and he would talk.

I went into the aforementioned bar and grill, and sat down to have lunch (and maybe an adult beverage) and was talking to a buddy of mine. The conversation centered around my father in laws upcoming birthday, how strange it was for a guy raised in Central America on soccer (Futbol) to be such a huge , rabid, fanatical fan, who his favorite players were etc. His favorite WR was Freddie Solomon.... who was sitting two stools over it turns out. I don't recognize him in this setting of course. He gets up, leaves, comes back in and introduces himself. With a freaking practice jersey in his hand! He signs it with best wishes to my father in law, and gives it to me to give to the old guy on his birthday. Got to talk for a bit...great memory. My father in law treasured that. He was a season ticket holder at the stick for many years, but that was his favorite 49er memorabilia.

The point to all of this is that this crap does happen, you can run into them and in the right setting they may actually interact with you.They are human. But the likelihood of randomly getting info from a player is remote at best these days particularly.

According to cciowo that never happened and you are making the entire thing up.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

Oh my god.. sus is talking about a certain poster.. oh the outrage. oh the targeting of posters.. oh my god, lets keep it about the TEAM!!

Yeah, but I know different and so does the family.

Yeah, but I know different and so does the family.

Oh I believe 100 but my dude cc refuses to believe that athletes actually talk to regular people.
Originally posted by cciowa:

Oh my god.. sus is talking about a certain poster.. oh the outrage. oh the targeting of posters.. oh my god, lets keep it about the TEAM!!

just going by what you said, no negative comments were made against you.
news flash cc you know players are actually human beings that talk to other people.

and here is a news flash for you.. if they do. they do not reveal inside information pro or con about the team. if they did that is all we would ever hear 24/7.

are you serious ? so saying that everybody loves chip is inside info ?
any information sus. i hate it when you act stupid

It isn't an act.

But I actually agree with sus on this.
Originally posted by LaMattsBlue:
news flash cc you know players are actually human beings that talk to other people.

and here is a news flash for you.. if they do. they do not reveal inside information pro or con about the team. if they did that is all we would ever hear 24/7.

are you serious ? so saying that everybody loves chip is inside info ?
any information sus. i hate it when you act stupid

It isn't an act.

But I actually agree with sus on this.

Well that matters.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Oh I believe 100 but my dude cc refuses to believe that athletes actually talk to regular people.
correction sus. i do not believe they go around and reveal true feelings about fellow players or coaches the front office or what is going on inside of the locker room. i think they are very very very careful and guarded and very very generic when or if they choose to engage a normal fan in conversation. that is all i am saying. my only contact with pro athletes. cept for the time i interviewed wrestler rufus r jones for my job,,,, was when julian peterson and tony parrish waved to my daughter during pre game warmups in a pre season game at kansas city around the year 2001 or 2002 . that mean the world to her!!
correction sus. i do not believe they go around and reveal true feelings about fellow players or coaches the front office or what is going on inside of the locker room. i think they are very very very careful and guarded and very very generic when or if they choose to engage a normal fan in conversation. that is all i am saying. my only contact with pro athletes. cept for the time i interviewed wrestler rufus r jones for my job,,,, was when julian peterson and tony parrish waved to my daughter during pre game warmups in a pre season game at kansas city around the year 2001 or 2002 . that mean the world to her!!
Sus probably spills the beans about everything and anybody to any stranger that would listen, such a good dude

Originally posted by TexasDuck:
This isn't meant to be trolling, but if you look back at Philly in 2013, players were saying the same thing. He needs to sustain it. I think he can. Oregon players love him to death

Winning cures all ailments. Losing magnifies them. The ones that support Kelly are not going to be the prima donna's, that's for sure. So Anthony Davis should just stay retired. Young people who want to succeed in the pros, those who want to get back on track will follow the leader.

Good story! Nowadays you better keep it on the company line or everyone will know before you get home-with facebook, twitter and forums and all. Hell, before the internet, I had to wait till the Chronicle and the Gate shipped to the Hawaii Library to read about the games or who was on the niners radar for draft.
Originally posted by WildBill:

Good story! Nowadays you better keep it on the company line or everyone will know before you get home-with facebook, twitter and forums and all. Hell, before the internet, I had to wait till the Chronicle and the Gate shipped to the Hawaii Library to read about the games or who was on the niners radar for draft.

Thanks, and yeah that is one of my best personal stories ever about the 9ers... and was my father in law stunned, LOL! I still remember him opening that gift. He got a lot of cool birthday presents over the years, he lived well into his 80's, but that signed one from Freddie Solomon was never topped. Of course I personally took all kinds of credit for that,LOL! You know the shtick, "hey I was out having lunch with my buddy Freddie, lie, lie, B.S., B.S", you know the drill! I finally fessed up and told him the truth and he loved the story even more. These days a player doing something out of the blue like that would be frowned on, because his agent didn't get a cut of the jersey and how dare he sign it for no cash.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I bumped into this guy in a bar who is a friend of an NBA player who just sits on the bench and collects a paycheck, and he knows a guy on an NFL team who does the same crap for a paycheck, and he knows a guy who is dating a hooker who also slept with a midget... the midget knows a 49er player and mentioned that the player said some nice things about Boy Jed and ChiBaalka
Originally posted by LVJay:
I bumped into this guy in a bar who is a friend of an NBA player who just sits on the bench and collects a paycheck, and he knows a guy on an NFL team who does the same crap for a paycheck, and he knows a guy who is dating a hooker who also slept with a midget... the midget knows a 49er player and mentioned that the player said some nice things about Boy Jed and ChiBaalka

I know that isn't true because, according to the zone, which us infallible, no one ever liked Jed. Not even his mom. The rest sounds legit though.
Share 49ersWebzone