LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 228 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
It was stated that it came down to Trey or Jones in the 2021 draft. Jones is closer to Kyle's prototype at QB. I am just guessing here but I think Trey Lance was a John Lynch pick. Obviously Kyle was on board but he probably needed some convincing.

Lynch publicly said no to that. He knew who he liked but never said a word to Kyle. And was surprised when Kyle told him he wanted Lance.. And he also said do you really think I have the final say on qb? Meaning he defers to Kyle for that position. Whereas Kyle defers to John on defense etc etc. I think they swung and really helped themselves miss.

Never saw John make this statement. Do you have a source?
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
This roster is ok but not great. Look at the O-line, QB, and CB positions. We have one guy at each of those positions however two of those positions require units.

Plus we are going to be over the cap so the roster will change. We are paying a lot of money to finish 3rd or 4th every year.

We had as many All Pros as Philly and KC...6.

Every other team had 3 or less.

Fair.

have to agree with glory on QB and Oline.

I have high hopes for Purdy but can you imagine this roster with a blue chip top 3 QB? championship city.

Then you wouldn't have this roster.

disagree. IF you drafted a Mahommes. Allen etc.
It was stated that it came down to Trey or Jones in the 2021 draft. Jones is closer to Kyle's prototype at QB. I am just guessing here but I think Trey Lance was a John Lynch pick. Obviously Kyle was on board but he probably needed some convincing.

Lynch publicly said no to that. He knew who he liked but never said a word to Kyle. And was surprised when Kyle told him he wanted Lance.. And he also said do you really think I have the final say on qb? Meaning he defers to Kyle for that position. Whereas Kyle defers to John on defense etc etc. I think they swung and really helped themselves miss.

Not handily ready as it was right after the draft so awhile ago now, but i got it from the homepage here for sure. I mean he could be full of it but I don't think they have that phony of a relationship. They seem to have an honest working relationship. Like even when they disagree they respect each other etc.

Not handily ready as it was right after the draft so awhile ago now, but i got it from the homepage here for sure. I mean he could be full of it but I don't think they have that phony of a relationship. They seem to have an honest working relationship. Like even when they disagree they respect each other etc.

I recall them both saying they liked Trey and came to the decision together. No way either one is going to point the blame at the other no matter who convinced who on picking Trey. I just find it really odd that Kyle's good friend Chris Simms was very confident that Mac Jones was going to be the pick. Than Kyle turns around and picks the QB that least fits his system.
As a John Lynch & Kyle Shanahan fan, and sometimes called a Homer, there needs to be some sorta repercussions for this failure of the Trey Lance trade, but to say fire Lynch or Shanny makes no sense, they've built a roster, and a culture, a super bowl roster, whether the haters agree or not, this regime has either signed, traded for, or drafted Purdy, CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, Trent, Banks, Bosa, Hargrave, Juice, Warner, Dre, Mooney, Hufanga, Gipson, Lenoir, plus so many other players who are good players like Mitchell, Womack, Burford, Brendel, re-signed Armstead for much less than Buckner got. Lynch & Shanny, & Peters, who should be the next GM, not saying fire John, but when John is done as GM, Peters needs to be the new GM, they are responsible for both the failure of the Trey trade, and the success we've had.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
As a John Lynch & Kyle Shanahan fan, and sometimes called a Homer, there needs to be some sorta repercussions for this failure of the Trey Lance trade, but to say fire Lynch or Shanny makes no sense, they've built a roster, and a culture, a super bowl roster, whether the haters agree or not, this regime has either signed, traded for, or drafted Purdy, CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, Trent, Banks, Bosa, Hargrave, Juice, Warner, Dre, Mooney, Hufanga, Gipson, Lenoir, plus so many other players who are good players like Mitchell, Womack, Burford, Brendel, re-signed Armstead for much less than Buckner got. Lynch & Shanny, & Peters, who should be the next GM, not saying fire John, but when John is done as GM, Peters needs to be the new GM, they are responsible for both the failure of the Trey trade, and the success we've had.

They took a shot and it didn't work out. It happens… a lot. Most don't have the sustained success Lynch and Shanahan have had to fall back on (and the good fortune of drafting Purdy to help alleviate the mistake).
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

They took a shot and it didn't work out. It happens… a lot. Most don't have the sustained success Lynch and Shanahan have had to fall back on (and the good fortune of drafting Purdy to help alleviate the mistake).

I agree, but I also agree with some who say there needs to be repercussions, but not as far as firing them, I will say 49ers Twitter/X is horrible, calling for JOhn & Kyle's heads, like we're not a SB contender. But yeah we took a shot, didn't work out, oh well, time to move on, do right by Trey now, get him to another team where he can be the backup at worst.

I agree, but I also agree with some who say there needs to be repercussions, but not as far as firing them, I will say 49ers Twitter/X is horrible, calling for JOhn & Kyle's heads, like we're not a SB contender. But yeah we took a shot, didn't work out, oh well, time to move on, do right by Trey now, get him to another team where he can be the backup at worst.

This is business, Head Coach or GM should be fired immediately.

What else would repercussions look like, take away their parking privileges for a month?

I just think they have to stay away from picking the 3rd pick. It has never worked out for them. Thinking Soloman Thomas, Trey etc, Maybe they should try 4th pick or 2nd pick. They got lucky with a 2nd pick didn't they? Bosa? Yep lets go 2nd picks but not 3rd picks. 3 is a bad number for us.

What else would repercussions look like, take away their parking privileges for a month?

In a business, you consider the body of work, not the singular failure. Firing based off of Trey's poor development (mostly due to injuries) would be a terrible business decision.

That is silly thinking. Every draft pick is a crap shoot. Who would have thought Purdy would be so good when he was last pick? Or Deebo would be so good or Kittle so brilliant for a low pick? It is the luck of the draw and sometimes the best evaluation just does not work.
Originally posted by Goatie:

That is silly thinking. Every draft pick is a crap shoot. Who would have thought Purdy would be so good when he was last pick? Or Deebo would be so good or Kittle so brilliant for a low pick? It is the luck of the draw and sometimes the best evaluation just does not work.
glory is a troll or has no clue about football. Fire a coach for missing on a draft pick, every coach misses a pick lol

I have been saying for a while, they already fixed the prob. The prob was KS was never a QB, and doesn't see the game that way. He was a WR, and we had a great run developing WR (Deebo, BA, JJ) but we didn't develop QBs. We hired Griese, and he played a big role in not only developing but even drafting Brock. So they self corrected, or fixed what was a blind spot. I think JL knows a lot but hard to say he or KS are QB gurus. Griese has already been worth his weight in gold, among others, the crew that scouted / developed Brock.
Let's not forget our best defensive player still isn't signed. 2 weeks away from the season starting.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Let's not forget our best defensive player still isn't signed. 2 weeks away from the season starting.

I hope he doesn't miss any playing time because of this contract situation.
Share 49ersWebzone