LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 214 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Garnett was a Baalke pick like people have said...

To me the issue with this regime drafting isn't that they miss on players. Everyone misses on players, even the best of the best. Constantly.

No, my knock is that they have too many misses where they identify a player as a target to start/replace a starter, and trade capital to acquire these said players, only for them to end up as misses. CJ Beathard, J Williams, Pettis, etc. Whereas the hits are typically either no-brainers (Bosa) or late-round selections where there's no pressure to become a starter and more external scouting plays a big role. Almost every time they drafted a high round pick to replace or become a defacto starter it has not worked very well or the results were mixed (McGlinchey who is a good player but not living up to his draft slot and having some significant flaws).

In other words, what it means to me is that they often miss on players they specifically identify as targets to start, damning both their evaluation AND concept of draft value.

Perfectly said.
Originally posted by NCommand:

To me the issue with this regime drafting isn't that they miss on players. Everyone misses on players, even the best of the best. Constantly.

No, my knock is that they have too many misses where they identify a player as a target to start/replace a starter, and trade capital to acquire these said players, only for them to end up as misses. CJ Beathard, J Williams, Pettis, etc. Whereas the hits are typically either no-brainers (Bosa) or late-round selections where there's no pressure to become a starter and more external scouting plays a big role. Almost every time they drafted a high round pick to replace or become a defacto starter it has not worked very well or the results were mixed (McGlinchey who is a good player but not living up to his draft slot and having some significant flaws).

In other words, what it means to me is that they often miss on players they specifically identify as targets to start, damning both their evaluation AND concept of draft value.

Perfectly said.

Mods might want to consider a editorial spot
Use 3 1st rounders on a qb and not utalizing his strenghts - well done

Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:

Well, they tried doing that he injured his ankle.

Beathard and Williams were never "targets to start/replace a starter". They were mid-round picks drafted as role players. One ended up playing earlier than desired and became a career backup as one would expect mid-round QBs to be. The other busted due to work ethic but it ended up meaning very little to the talent in the RB room.

Get over Joe Williams, man. It was six damn years ago for a rebuilding roster that - GUESS WHAT - got rebuilt.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

And the fans hated them for using those running strengths. Because our fans are whiny asshats.
Originally posted by captveg:

And the fans hated them for using those running strengths. Because our fans are whiny asshats.

True!

It was also boring.

Regardless, they're just trying to raise Trey's trade value a bit.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Beathard and Williams were never "targets to start/replace a starter". They were mid-round picks drafted as role players. One ended up playing earlier than desired and became a career backup as one would expect mid-round QBs to be. The other busted due to work ethic but it ended up meaning very little to the talent in the RB room.

Get over Joe Williams, man. It was six damn years ago for a rebuilding roster that - GUESS WHAT - got rebuilt.

Agree💯%, and more recently, they've hit on some good ones Aiyuk, Deebo, Purdy, and Ronnie Bell. Point being those draft mistakes were fixed, and even the Trey Lance pick was fixed with the Brock Purdy pick. Point being - you are right - despite all the mistakes, the roster got rebuilt and the team got deeper in talent.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Garnett was a Baalke pick no?

This. He was in the Buckner draft. They traded up with Kansas City to take him. Kansas City with the 49ers original 2nd rounder took Chris Jones who a few years later would wreck the 49ers chances of winning the SB.

Did he give them the advice to trade for Jimmy?

Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Did he give them the advice to trade for Jimmy?

49ers lost that game primarily due to Jones. He was unblockable in the 4th, stuffing the run and getting after Garoppolo. Mahomes gets all the press but Jones wrecking s**t inside really makes KC extra tough.
My Question To Everyone Who Thinks the 49ers Did Trey Lance Dirty

What would you have wanted the FO to do differently understanding that these facts changed so much on the ground:
  1. Trey was injured twice (once in his finger in 2021 and again in 2022 when he broke his leg) in a way that limited his reps.
  2. Brock Purdy emerged from nowhere as Mr. Irrelevant to take over the starting job in Trey's absence.
  3. Sam Darnold outplayed Trey in accordance with what was being reported by reporters who had ties to the organization like Greg Papa.

At best, you can criticize the trade-up to pick a raw QB at #3 or for leaking information in an inconsistent manner about the decision-making process to make Trey the third-string QB. At worst, I suppose you can criticize the refusal to gear the offense to Trey's strengths if you ignore the fact that when Kyle tried it with power runs up the middle, he took immense damage that resulted in injuries. Seems like people aren't being fair to the organization.

True!

It was also boring.

I think the translation is closer to "We ran Purdy's offense"
Originally posted by lamontb:
When is this soft ass 49ers media gonna ask some tough questions? KS and JL ducked the media yesterday and did softball radio hits. And it's crickets on Bosa. When are the media going to press these fools about what's going on. 14 days to the start of the season and there isn't any reporting on the Bosa deal.

Is the media there that bad? In NY it can be brutal. They would be like, John and Kyle. How many years would you give yourselves under Brock to win it all or be fired? 😂

This isn't about Joe Williams. This is about almost systemic failure in higher rounds. I will give them Aiyuk, and Banks thankfully looks like not a bust, but aside from that my point stands.

They got Reuben Foster despite red flags and reportedly were thinking of picking him at #3
They traded up to get Trey Sermon. The highest-drafted RB in Kyle's time here.
He was cut after a season

Another RB picked in the third after the Sermon fail was TDP. He looks incredibly mid right now and is on the roster bubble

Look at every draft in this regime's era. The 1-3 rounds have more misses than round 5. A couple of times is a coincidence, but consistent datapoints show towards a pattern.
Share 49ersWebzone