LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 261 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Good and bad. Horrific in the early rounds. The best in the league in the late rounds. Very good in FA. Overall a very great team. That's all you can ask for. Can we please have somebody else pick round 1 and 2? Plus no more brilliant ideas to trade three 1st round picks for some scrub.

IRONIC isn't it ???

Just like the way he coaches the team and not able to WIN when it counts the most, Shanny also can't land the RIGHT PLAYER when he needs it most..
Originally posted by 9moon:
Good and bad. Horrific in the early rounds. The best in the league in the late rounds. Very good in FA. Overall a very great team. That's all you can ask for. Can we please have somebody else pick round 1 and 2? Plus no more brilliant ideas to trade three 1st round picks for some scrub.

IRONIC isn't it ???

Just like the way he coaches the team and not able to WIN when it counts the most, Shanny also can't land the RIGHT PLAYER when he needs it most..

It's good and bad. There is some upside and downside here. Mostly our problem has been terrible injuries at the worst times.

IRONIC isn't it ???

It's good and bad. There is some upside and downside here. Mostly our problem has been terrible injuries at the worst times.
no it's IRONIC with no RIGHT PLAYERS landed we still are in position to win the big one
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

IRONIC isn't it ???

no it's IRONIC with no RIGHT PLAYERS landed we still are in position to win the big one

Who cares how you put it together? If this is a very competitive roster that is great. Better than most teams. Yeah they miss a lot in the early rounds. But they still have a spectacular roster in other ways. Mid to late rounds and FA they are as good as it gets.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

IRONIC isn't it ???

Who cares how you put it together? If this is a very competitive roster that is great. Better than most teams. Yeah they miss a lot in the early rounds. But they still have a spectacular roster in other ways. Mid to late rounds and FA they are as good as it gets.

Keeps the payroll down too
Originally posted by Crown:

IRONIC isn't it ???

I guess if you look at it that way.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

IRONIC isn't it ???

Yup, when your franchise QB cost you less than a million for the next 2+ years - Joan from Payroll doesn't need to do too much.
I'd love to know who felt they needed to trade into the 3rd. I suspect Lynch as Kyle was likely perfectly happy with Jones and Jones is not a 3rd pick in the draft prospect.
[ Edited by WINiner on Aug 29, 2023 at 9:41 PM ]

IRONIC isn't it ???

Yeah, it's actually better to hit on most late rounders than it is early rounders, from a salary cap perspective. We also do well with UDFA. Couple that with cheap vets we typically sign and get lot out of them, they do an awesome job.
Originally posted by WINiner:
I'd love to know who felt they needed to trade into the 3rd. I suspect Lynch as Kyle was likely perfectly happy with Jones and Jones is not a 3rd pick in the draft prospect.

My guess is that they decided they were going with a rookie QB before they decided which qb they were going to go with. They also assumed they'd keep winning with a rookie and the first rounders would be high first round (kyles talked about this).

so they viewed it as they could get in position and see who they fall in love with (remember, they traded up SUPER early).

the mistake ultimately was Lance, we've harped on this forever. I think they really should of been debating between jones or fields, which Kyle wasn't a fan of fields for whatever reason.

kyle has proven to me that he is really good at evaluating guys once they're in his camp/practice but not good at evaluating QBs from afar (draft process). I don't give Kyle credit for Purdy, that was all slowIk & Griese.

overall, I think Kyle and Lynch moved up not because they loved a player, but because they were committed to going with a rookie scale contract at the position and wanted to guarantee they could get whichever one they fell in love with. Should of been fields if he wanted 11-11 play. If he wanted traditional style play, should of been jones. If he wanted to look like a complete dipsh!t he should of chose Lance.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Aug 29, 2023 at 9:56 PM ]

Originally posted by tankle104:

My guess is that they decided they were going with a rookie QB before they decided which qb they were going to go with. They also assumed they'd keep winning with a rookie and the first rounders would be high first round (kyles talked about this).

so they viewed it as they could get in position and see who they fall in love with (remember, they traded up SUPER early).

the mistake ultimately was Lance, we've harped on this forever. I think they really should of been debating between jones or fields, which Kyle wasn't a fan of fields for whatever reason.

kyle has proven to me that he is really good at evaluating guys once they're in his camp/practice but not good at evaluating QBs from afar (draft process). I don't give Kyle credit for Purdy, that was all slowIk & Griese.

overall, I think Kyle and Lynch moved up not because they loved a player, but because they were committed to going with a rookie scale contract at the position and wanted to guarantee they could get whichever one they fell in love with. Should have been fields if he wanted 11-11 play. If he wanted traditional style play, should have been jones. If he wanted to look like a complete dipsh!t he should of chose Lance.
I think they thought Zach Wilson would be there. They scouted him hard during his college season and the trade was announced right after ZW pro day

overall, I think Kyle and Lynch moved up not because they loved a player, but because they were committed to going with a rookie scale contract at the position and wanted to guarantee they could get whichever one they fell in love with. Should have been fields if he wanted 11-11 play. If he wanted traditional style play, should have been jones. If he wanted to look like a complete dipsh!t he should of chose Lance.
I think they thought Zach Wilson would be there. They scouted him hard during his college season and the trade was announced right after ZW pro day

Would of been worse than Trey, because he's a d bag. At least Trey is a nice guy.

Would have been worse than Trey, because he's a d bag. At least Trey is a nice guy.
Who knows, different realities are possible

IRONIC isn't it ???

CORRECT... and can you imagine how many Super Bowls Shanny would have won by now HAD he took the RIGHT PLAYER like Brady, or Stafford ??

BOTH players obviously were the missing piece because Shanny STAYED with Grappy..

Obviously, you are happy being just " in the position to win the big one " ..

IRONIC isn't it ???

Yeah, it's actually better to hit on most late rounders than it is early rounders, from a salary cap perspective. We also do well with UDFA. Couple that with cheap vets we typically sign and get lot out of them, they do an awesome job.

AWESOME job always getting to say ... WE ALMOST WON !! WE ALMOST WON !!!
Share 49ersWebzone