LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 264 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by WINiner:
I'd love to know who felt they needed to trade into the 3rd. I suspect Lynch as Kyle was likely perfectly happy with Jones and Jones is not a 3rd pick in the draft prospect.

My guess is that they decided they were going with a rookie QB before they decided which qb they were going to go with. They also assumed they'd keep winning with a rookie and the first rounders would be high first round (kyles talked about this).

so they viewed it as they could get in position and see who they fall in love with (remember, they traded up SUPER early).

the mistake ultimately was Lance, we've harped on this forever. I think they really should of been debating between jones or fields, which Kyle wasn't a fan of fields for whatever reason.

kyle has proven to me that he is really good at evaluating guys once they're in his camp/practice but not good at evaluating QBs from afar (draft process). I don't give Kyle credit for Purdy, that was all slowIk & Griese.

overall, I think Kyle and Lynch moved up not because they loved a player, but because they were committed to going with a rookie scale contract at the position and wanted to guarantee they could get whichever one they fell in love with. Should of been fields if he wanted 11-11 play. If he wanted traditional style play, should of been jones. If he wanted to look like a complete dipsh!t he should of chose Lance.

On Trey's development. I think his various injuries are the ones that delayed and stopped his development - not his lack of mental intangibles. I saw progress from the time he played in his first preseason game to his last preseason game, and the four regular season games in between that he played in. But for Trey's injuries, he'd be QB1 right now. I think he'd have made enough progress in year one and two, to be a credible QB1 this year.

Having said that, even though Trey was 100% healthy his first two years, I think Purdy would still have outclassed him from a QB1 perspective. I think it would have taken Trey three years - minimum - of continuous reps for him to get to Purdy's rookie level of play. Matt Ryan took two years, and Jimmy only started to look good in Kyle's offense last year - which if you add all of Jimmy's healthy games he played for the 49ers together - it adds up to about 3 years of total healthy play. Brock is just unreal in that dimension, in being able to absorb Kyle's offense and play like Jimmy immediately. He's just unreal in so many ways.
Really bad off season all around. That said, I still expect us to be a highly competitive team with a top 5-7 starting roster and #1 in depth...basically the same position for the past 4 years.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 30, 2023 at 5:31 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Really bad off season all around. That said, I still expect us to be a highly competitive team with a top 5-7 starting roster and #1 in depth...basically the same position for the past 4 years.

Yup, also expect the annual coaching raid and annual poaching our best players approaching the end of their contracts raid.

The Cap is brutal. If you draft and develop players well, you get penalized. Aiyuk being the prime candidate to be poached/traded, and Anthony Lynn to be poached by the annual bottom feeders of the NFL.
I find it hard to believe that folks think we have a great/championship roster but have issues with Lynch. I don't believe we have a great/championship roster, but if that is the case then the issue is coaching not the GM. Our boy genius is ruining a lot of resources with horrible coaching and player development.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I'd love to know who felt they needed to trade into the 3rd. I suspect Lynch as Kyle was likely perfectly happy with Jones and Jones is not a 3rd pick in the draft prospect.

My guess is that they decided they were going with a rookie QB before they decided which qb they were going to go with. They also assumed they'd keep winning with a rookie and the first rounders would be high first round (kyles talked about this).

so they viewed it as they could get in position and see who they fall in love with (remember, they traded up SUPER early).

the mistake ultimately was Lance, we've harped on this forever. I think they really should of been debating between jones or fields, which Kyle wasn't a fan of fields for whatever reason.

kyle has proven to me that he is really good at evaluating guys once they're in his camp/practice but not good at evaluating QBs from afar (draft process). I don't give Kyle credit for Purdy, that was all slowIk & Griese.

overall, I think Kyle and Lynch moved up not because they loved a player, but because they were committed to going with a rookie scale contract at the position and wanted to guarantee they could get whichever one they fell in love with. Should of been fields if he wanted 11-11 play. If he wanted traditional style play, should of been jones. If he wanted to look like a complete dipsh!t he should of chose Lance.

On Trey's development. I think his various injuries are the ones that delayed and stopped his development - not his lack of mental intangibles. I saw progress from the time he played in his first preseason game to his last preseason game, and the four regular season games in between that he played in. But for Trey's injuries, he'd be QB1 right now. I think he'd have made enough progress in year one and two, to be a credible QB1 this year.

Having said that, even though Trey was 100% healthy his first two years, I think Purdy would still have outclassed him from a QB1 perspective. I think it would have taken Trey three years - minimum - of continuous reps for him to get to Purdy's rookie level of play. Matt Ryan took two years, and Jimmy only started to look good in Kyle's offense last year - which if you add all of Jimmy's healthy games he played for the 49ers together - it adds up to about 3 years of total healthy play. Brock is just unreal in that dimension, in being able to absorb Kyle's offense and play like Jimmy immediately. He's just unreal in so many ways.

Would they have even drafted Purdy if Trey hadn't gotten injured and missed most of his first year? We don't know. Same goes for staying at #12 and picking Mac Jones. He's shown he's not a high level NFL QB so they would still be looking for "that guy". We have no idea who they would have drafted with those 2 first rounders they lost. They were late round picks and it really would have depended on who was there when they picked. They may have trade back to pick up extra picks.

The point is, we can moan about this deal and make all kinds of projections but it's over and it didn't work out. Lynch and Kyle said they own it and they have to live with it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I find it hard to believe that folks think we have a great/championship roster but have issues with Lynch. I don't believe we have a great/championship roster, but if that is the case then the issue is coaching not the GM. Our boy genius is ruining a lot of resources with horrible coaching and player development.

Being in the NFC championship game kind of shoots your own point down about not being a championship roster.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Would they have even drafted Purdy if Trey hadn't gotten injured and missed most of his first year? We don't know. Same goes for staying at #12 and picking Mac Jones. He's shown he's not a high level NFL QB so they would still be looking for "that guy". We have no idea who they would have drafted with those 2 first rounders they lost. They were late round picks and it really would have depended on who was there when they picked. They may have trade back to pick up extra picks.

The point is, we can moan about this deal and make all kinds of projections but it's over and it didn't work out. Lynch and Kyle said they own it and they have to live with it.
Well, people like me are still pissed off about the missed three-peat. I"m sure there are still some Dallas fans talking about that Hershel walker trade. Heck, there are some folks dressing up in civil war costumes and re-fighting the civil war! Who would have thunk it.

pretty much every national NFL talking head/TV show/podcast all say the Niners have the best roster in the NFL. your opinion is not grounded in reality. your hatred of Kyle shapes it.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Why such a bad offseason?
Great offseason as always. No need to listen to clueless fans.

Brick by Brick: Chasing the Dream | 49ers

Being in the NFC championship game kind of shoots your own point down about not being a championship roster.

You NAILED it!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

You NAILED it!

So happy you guys like the participation certificates instead of the trophies…. How about we start winning those games then we can pass out the accolades. This is or at least was a championship or bust team. Now folks are happy with nfc title game APPEARANCES…. Glorydayz makes a valid point. the Kyle or bust crowd will never agree.. no matter how many years we come up short or how many rosters get wasted… they always have excuses and the second you challenge them they point to two things. 1. He is the best coach we have had since siefert and we get into the playoffs…. Short sighted and happy to just be there. Not enough for me and many fans. We want to win. We want to get 6 and more.
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

You NAILED it!

So happy you guys like the participation certificates instead of the trophies…. How about we start winning those games then we can pass out the accolades. This is or at least was a championship or bust team. Now folks are happy with nfc title game APPEARANCES…. Glorydayz makes a valid point. the Kyle or bust crowd will never agree.. no matter how many years we come up short or how many rosters get wasted… they always have excuses and the second you challenge them they point to two things. 1. He is the best coach we have had since siefert and we get into the playoffs…. Short sighted and happy to just be there. Not enough for me and many fans. We want to win. We want to get 6 and more.

What is all of this? If you're going to go there, should Philly fans think it's hard to believe they have a championship roster? Should the Bills and Bengals do the same? Cowboys? Or even the 87/90/92 49ers.

This championship or bust line is something to say to make it appear as if you have a higher standard, but if we are holding you to this standard, then no team has a championship roster, except the actual champions. In which case, what is the point in stating the obvious?
Originally posted by swoosh6996:
"We take accountability for it" without really taking accountability for it. Genius!

What should he do? Lie down on hot coals? Cut off the hand that called in the trade and made the pick? What should he do to hold himself accountable?
Share 49ersWebzone