Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Really bad off season all around. That said, I still expect us to be a highly competitive team with a top 5-7 starting roster and #1 in depth...basically the same position for the past 4 years.

Why such a bad offseason?

QB - TBD on > or even or <
Secondary - step back?
Offensive line - par or step back
ST - worse
Injuries - same
ER2 - worse

How have we improved to beat Seattle, Dallas, Philly, etc. to get to and WIN the Superbowl?

To me, it's the exact same team as every year.

Lol well when you have such an incredibly high bar as Trent Baalke I can see why you would think this was a terrible offseason

Trent Baalke turned that franchise around as fast as John Lynch. LOL. He's the man. I knew he could "...do it again." j/k

Yeah, I loved his A.J. Jenkin's pick in 2012.

Haha. Good times indeed.

Kinlaw > Jenkins

As of right now, both look about as bad. Sad to say. Lucky they got the DJ Jones' and Jauan's and all these other wonderful late round picks in the draft to offset some of the 1st round mistakes. One explanation on their late round success is that - they seemed to have changed up their draft approach. They have mentioned in prior interviews that they have begun to build their draft board from the last pick in the draft to the first pick in the draft, not the other way around. If they've been doing that prior, then it also makes sense that they have so much success in the later rounds.

Another key point is for day 2 and esp. 3, Lynch asks all the scouts and position coaches for their "wish list" at the close of the day.

And it seems they lean heavily on Peters, his scouts and the rest of crew for those picks.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 3, 2023 at 6:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by boast:
Kyle forced Trey into wanted to get traded. He basically told him it would be best for Trey to play somewhere else. (Kyle's own words) Trey had asked if he could practice his way to the #2 position during the season, and Kyle said that was unrealistic and that Trey wouldn't get many if any reps.

Also the fact that you quote the team PR head who had many chances to mention Trey throwing a bunch of INTs in practice last year.. had chances to say it last year... this offseason... and during this QB battle.. but nope. Only brought it up (without context) when it was beneficial for the team to damage control, after they traded/wasted 3 1st round picks for a late 4th round pick.

the team gains absolutely nothing by publicly trashing Trey with untruths on his way out. in fact it would be detrimental to the current team if Papa was lying about Trey's performance. you dont really think thru your theories very well.

As if that has not happened before? How often do we hear Papa bringing up Jimmy not returning calls. He JUST brought it up again last week, after Jimmy innocently said his/QB situation was weird last year.

but it's true. players and coaches have said the same thing. Papa's not making that up like you claim he is about Trey INTs.

I didn't say he lied.. imo he purposely said that without giving context. As the scout team QB, the defense wanted Trey to not play carefree and let it rip in practice no? Has Brock not thrown a bunch of INTs in practice?

Why does it all the sudden matter now?

youre leaving out that Papa said the INTs caused Trey to lose confidence. the INTs themselves werent necessarily the issue, Trey's reaction and performance to those INTs were the issue.

Brock doesnt have confidence issues.

When has Trey shown this in real games? In front of our eyes?

Against the Cards in his rookie year, his first NFL start... threw an early INT... bounced back.. he helped drive the ball in Cards territory 8 out of 9 drives.

Against the Texans, in a lose and miss the playoff scenario... he threw an early INT.. and bounced back and helped us win that game and keep our playoff hopes alive.

This preseason same s**t... playing with the backup oline and recievers... had some bad drives to start the game... finished strong.

Greg Papa is full of s**t.

we all saw the performance in his final game against Denver. he didnt pull the trigger to "NFL open" receivers multiple times. only when the 4th stringers were finally in and and his receivers were wide open on blown coverages and when Bell was making insane YAC plays did Trey become successful. guess what, the 3-4th string defenders that he looked great against in the 4th qtr of that game are not playing the NFL.

your ignorance of reality is astounding.

b***h f**k You.

Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

🍿 🧈
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

🍿 🧈

i just sent LYNCH a text and to start paying attention to Riley Leonard.. he's Tim Tebow who can pass the ball..
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Really bad off season all around. That said, I still expect us to be a highly competitive team with a top 5-7 starting roster and #1 in depth...basically the same position for the past 4 years.

Secondary - step back?
ST - worse
Injuries - same
ER2 - worse

How have we improved to beat Seattle, Dallas, Philly, etc. to get to and WIN the Superbowl?

Lol well when you have such an incredibly high bar as Trent Baalke I can see why you would think this was a terrible offseason

Trent Baalke turned that franchise around as fast as John Lynch. LOL. He's the man. I knew he could "...do it again." j/k

Haha. Good times indeed.

Kinlaw > Jenkins

As of right now, both look about as bad. Sad to say. Lucky they got the DJ Jones' and Jauan's and all these other wonderful late round picks in the draft to offset some of the 1st round mistakes. One explanation on their late round success is that - they seemed to have changed up their draft approach. They have mentioned in prior interviews that they have begun to build their draft board from the last pick in the draft to the first pick in the draft, not the other way around. If they've been doing that prior, then it also makes sense that they have so much success in the later rounds.

Another key point is for day 2 and esp. 3, Lynch asks all the scouts and position coaches for their "wish list" at the close of the day.

And it seems they lean heavily on Peters, his scouts and the rest of crew for those picks.

Agree 💯%, and it doesn't hurt to have Adam have a guy on hand like Papa Shanahan - to talk to his son into drafting the guy Adams wants.

Secondary - step back?
ST - worse
Injuries - same
ER2 - worse

Haha. Good times indeed.

Kinlaw > Jenkins

Agree 💯%, and it doesn't hurt to have Adam have a guy on hand like Papa Shanahan - to talk to his son into drafting the guy Adams wants.

Not at all.
I wonder if the cap clearing today was a back up plan to get edge help if Bosa didn't sign....

or

If they are after Brian Burns or Chandler Jones ....or well any other guy

I wonder if there is any 0-line help that can be traded for
[ Edited by Dshearn on Sep 6, 2023 at 6:45 PM ]
Niner Faithfuls about to go all in to kick his ass until the breaking news on Bosa saved him.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 6, 2023 at 6:49 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Niner Faithfuls about to go all in to kick his ass until the breaking news on Bosa saved him.

Lynch aint looking at yesterday......

The dude is cold blooded and really is not worried about the talking heads....

He got the best duel threat RB in the league, the best defender in free agency, dropped Trey Lance off at a yard sale, resigned the best defender in the league and has now created 10s of millions in cap space.

I would not be shocked at ALL if he dumps high draft picks to grab another win now player.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
I wonder if the cap clearing today was a back up plan to get edge help if Bosa didn't sign....

or

If they are after Brian Burns or Chandler Jones ....or well any other guy

I wonder if there is any 0-line help that can be traded for

I don't doubt your desire for us to add another player that can help in this run, but why would a team trade an O-lineman that would actually be helpful? Maybe in a few weeks if there's a yard sale/disgruntled player, but not at season's start.

On another note, I was surprised Burns hadn't been extended yet and was speculating on who/what I'd give up to get him.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Lynch aint looking at yesterday......

The dude is cold blooded and really is not worried about the talking heads....

He got the best duel threat RB in the league, the best defender in free agency, dropped Trey Lance off at a yard sale, resigned the best defender in the league and has now created 10s of millions in cap space.

I would not be shocked at ALL if he dumps high draft picks to grab another win now player.

Who would be your win-now player you'd trade for??? Honestly now that money is freed up, they should go out and sign Leonard Fornette to back up or share the load with CMC and give Mitchell less carries to keep him fresh till the playoffs.

Another good DT wouldn't hurt either, like a solid run defender. And of course maybe trade for a second tier O-lineman. All in all this roster is stacked right now and there's not too much tweaking Lynch needs to do. IMO
Yet another day that exemplifies why this team is in such good shape having Lynch and this FO.
Knowing that JL and KS have this s**t covered.

Congrats former EOTY. Well done.
I'm am a pretty big fan of this FO, but I do worry that they caved in the Bosa negotiations. On one hand, getting Bosa in the building before week one was a big win, and something this team needs as we chase a championship this season. But I do worry that we didn't stick to our guns for a deal with less guaranteed money. Resetting the market is one thing, but Bosa's contract blew the lid off of it. It's a big gamble, and should the worst case scenario happen, that Bosa gets injured, this contract will be a giant albatross on this team's neck. To put it simply, it's a big risk to dedicate that much guaranteed money to one player. I don't want to dwell in the pessimistic side of things, and generally I'm optimistic about Bosa since he's so committed to the craft and his body. If any non-QB in the NFL is worthy of being the highest paid, it's this guy. Please stay healthy, Nick. Let's go win some championships.
Share 49ersWebzone