There are 188 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by 9moon:
I'll offer them a 2nd (2024) and a 3rd (2025) but ONLY if we can extend his contract now..

Surtain? Not allowed to extend his deal till after 2023, plus he has a 5th yr option, the 49ers don't extend players with more than 1yr left on the players deal(s).

Honestly, even a two year rental of Surtain for a first may be worth it. He's that good of a player. Could be our Deon to put us over the hump.

OK, so this is where I disagree... when the 49ers don't extend players w/more than one year left.. somewhere along the line, this trend has to break... IF and when a player can be extended now, or even shred the existing contract in order to get a better team together, then i say DO IT !!!

You can't extend him until after this year. It's part of the rookie scale contracts in the CBA.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Just saw a suggestion that the 49ers should target Patrick Surtain II in a trade, since the Broncos are doo doo.
Note that next year is his contract year, and if we wanted to extend him, he'd be pricey.

What do you think it'd cost? Multiple first rounders?
Do you think he'd fit our defense?

It'd be nice to have two top-tier cornerbacks, and then have Deo Lenoir & Ambry Thomas as depth at outside corner, competition at nickel.

There is zero reason for the Broncos to trade him. Bad teams don't give up cost controlled assets, especially top level ones.

You'd have to offer 2 1sts just to get them to answer the phone.

I don't necessarily think it's a good idea for the Broncos either, but the rationale I saw in this suggestion was that the Broncos could tank the season and blow everything up in a multiple year rebuilding plan... to which Surtain wouldn't fit into their long-term plans if he doesn't want to re-sign with them. The thinking is that trade him now while his value is still incredibly high.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of looking at things from a tanking/multiple year rebuild approach, because so often teams can turn it around within a season or two if they have the right coach and some good players.

All in all, nothing wrong with keeping an eye on it.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I don't necessarily think it's a good idea for the Broncos either, but the rationale I saw in this suggestion was that the Broncos could tank the season and blow everything up in a multiple year rebuilding plan... to which Surtain wouldn't fit into their long-term plans if he doesn't want to re-sign with them. The thinking is that trade him now while his value is still incredibly high.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of looking at things from a tanking/multiple year rebuild approach, because so often teams can turn it around within a season or two if they have the right coach and some good players.

All in all, nothing wrong with keeping an eye on it.

Can't blow things up in an offseason where the qb will have a 85 mil dead money cap hit if you move on.
Can't blow things up in an offseason where the qb will have a 85 mil dead money cap hit if you move on.

Yeah. They owe russell Wilson a fortune. The only reason I can see why they would want to trade a guy like surtain is to try and recoup some draft capital that they lost in the Wilson trade.

which is annoying cause the broncos suck and the Seahawks are getting amazing draft picks.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Yeah. They owe russell Wilson a fortune. The only reason I can see why they would want to trade a guy like surtain is to try and recoup some draft capital that they lost in the Wilson trade.

which is annoying cause the broncos suck and the Seahawks are getting amazing draft picks.

Don't owe Seattle anymore I don't believe

Oh you're right, I thought they had this years first too. Lol thank goodness they don't. They were annoying the hell out of me with how much they've sucked.

that trade has been awful. Lol not a great start to their new ownerships tenure. Can't fault them for trying but boy oh boy, it's been a sh!t show.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Oh you're right, I thought they had this years first too. Lol thank goodness they don't. They were annoying the hell out of me with how much they've sucked.

that trade has been awful. Lol not a great start to their new ownerships tenure. Can't fault them for trying but boy oh boy, it's been a sh!t show.

Seattle got a massive draft haul these past two years. Last year they had two first round and two second round picks, and this year the same. I'm not even talking about all the lower round picks that they had in both years either. They are currently 2-1 and at a wild card position if the playoffs would start right now. They are such an annoying team because if you give those kinds of draft capital to Pete Carroll, he's a good enough coach to turn those into some great defensive players. Thank god he no longer has Russel and now has a mid tier QB instead. That gives us a chance to beat him twice a year now.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Seattle got a massive draft haul these past two years. Last year they had two first round and two second round picks, and this year the same. I'm not even talking about all the lower round picks that they had in both years either. They are currently 2-1 and at a wild card position if the playoffs would start right now. They are such an annoying team because if you give those kinds of draft capital to Pete Carroll, he's a good enough coach to turn those into some great defensive players. Thank god he no longer has Russel and now has a mid tier QB instead. That gives us a chance to beat him twice a year now.

I look forward to stomping them for the next decade with Brock, because of the beating they gave us for 10 years with Russ. Lol dude always pulled a rabbit out of a hat to beat us.

felt amazing to beat them three times last year and knock them out of the playoffs.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Thing is they don't have a lot of great defensive players. Some good dbs bur their front 7 is a bunch of nobodies and the corpse of Bobby Wagner.

The problem was giving Russ the extension before playing him. Should've waited to see what you had with a proper sample size. Instead he gets overpaid and now their cap is screwed until 2025 at the earliest.

It's why you can't overpay mediocrity at the qb spot. Whether it's short term or long term paying top dollar for poor production is terrible business. The opportunity cost of going with Daniel Jones is going to put the Gianrs right back into rebuild mode after next season. Staying witn Geno will put the Hawks in no mans land in 2 years. Its just bad pradctice.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 27, 2023 at 2:58 PM ]

The problem was giving Russ the extension before playing him. Should've waited to see what you had with a proper sample size. Instead he gets overpaid and now their cap is screwed until 2025 at the earliest.

It's why you can't overpay mediocrity at the qb spot. Whether it's short term or long term paying top dollar for poor production is terrible business. The opportunity cost of going with Daniel Jones is going to put the Gianrs right back into rebuild mode after next season. Staying witn Geno will put the Hawks in no mans land in 2 years. Its just bad pradctice.

Yeah, idk exactly how the situation went. It's turned out to be a historically bad move. That kind of move by Denver is more of a setback for an organization that our Lance debacle because it was cost controlled.

daniel jones contract isn't as bad as everyone thinks. It's really just a two year $80M contract. They have an out after next year. Same with the jimmy G contract the raiders gave him - it's really a 2 year $80M contract.

i agree though, dishing out to the wrong qb can be a nightmare and with the way guaranteed money is going - it'll set you back a while. Look at the cards, they can't move off of murray if they wanted to without devastating cap hits. I love that happened to the cards though. Lol

i personally think hurts is a good qb but I'm curious to see how he does going forward. Eagles do a great at job building their roster but I still question how good of a passer he is. As long as they keep a stacked roster, like we have, I guess it doesn't matter if he's a great passer or not. He's obviously shown to be pretty damn good. I just don't like it when a qb relies so much on their legs.
I feel Lynch is going to need to make one more trade to help get us closer to the prize. An ODB-like move. Pass rusher? CB?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
I feel Lynch is going to need to make one more trade to help get us closer to the prize. An ODB-like move. Pass rusher? CB?

I'd pick CB if McKivitz continues to improve. We'll see how he does in the Arizona game, but arrow up (for me) on McKivitz. Matt Pryor looks like a passable left tackle. He is still young at age 28. Big guy, good length. Probably could step in for Trent in a pinch like Tom Compton for McGlinchy. Not a great solution, but not a terrible one either. I view Jalon Moore as - kind of McKivitz backup. Jaylon and McKivitz are similar in size and arm length, similar quickness and agility. I'm liking the 49ers OLine better and better as the season wears on. I thought, overall, our OLine handled the Giant blitzes reasonably well. JD did a great job on the film review of the offense. Cardinal game hopefully shows more improvement for our Offensive Line.

I wouldn't be mad at all. Brian Burns pass rush or Patrick Surtain cornerback would be absolutely great for me!
Originally posted by tohara3:

I wouldn't be mad at all. Brian Burns pass rush or Patrick Surtain cornerback would be absolutely great for me!
most likely on the defensive side, or maybe another TE that can help the RT.

OL would be a too late of a pick up to throw in our offense, unless.. it's someone in shannys past that is familiar with his scheme
Share 49ersWebzone