There are 197 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Just floating it out there:

If Patrick Surtain were available for 2024 and 2025 1sts, would you do it?

Note he would be due 5th-year option money in 2025 and star CB money in 2026.

I'm not trading 2 1sts for a non QB.

With that said why is Denver trading him for 2 picks whos combined trade value will be lower than the pick they used on him in the first place. He's also an elite player they would now have to replace when he's cost controlled for 2 more years.

Unless Sean Payton hates the guy for some reason he won't be moved.

The state of our team right now, absolutely.
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:

yes for a 2025 1st and 3rd for Surtain and a 5th (gotta get a 5th since we do so well on drafting them 5th rounders)

or, a 2nd in 2024 and another 2nd in 25, for Surtain and a 5th ..
Originally posted by 9moon:

yes for a 2025 1st and 3rd for Surtain and a 5th (gotta get a 5th since we do so well on drafting them 5th rounders)

It's gonna take a 2024 1st, and more to get Surtain, we're not getting him for 2 2nd's, and getting a pick back, this isn't Gregory, this is a legit shutdown CB in Surtain, nothing against Gregory, but Surtain will get top tier CB money by 2026, and deservingly so.

I also doubt they would want a 2025 1st, they would want picks in 2024 to rebuild sooner than later.
DAMN, Lynch made the right move not bringing back Moseley, he tore his right ACL yesterday, I feel so bad for E-Man, wish he had stayed, but I think like with Verrett, he's an injury waiting to happen, his first career game he played he also had a season-ending injury on a MNF game I believe against the Raiders.
  • da209
  • Veteran

i would give up our 2024 1st and 2nd and our 2025 1st for surtain.
[ Edited by da209 on Oct 9, 2023 at 12:45 PM ]
Originally posted by da209:

NAHHHHHH... that'll be too much.. we didn't do that for Jalen and SURTAINLY ain't all THAT !!
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Yep. We have a shot at 20-0 and immortality. Do it.

Honestly… throw in Ambry Thomas or Isaiah Oliver and that probably gets it done. It's a ton for a CB, though. Even more than what the Rams gave up for Ramsey and Seahawks gave up for Adams (though I think both only had the 5th year option left? Surtain still has 1.5 seasons before the 5th year option).
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
According to this article on the front page we are going to have the ammunition to potentially add some good players next season.

Salary cap seems good but the number of draft picks look phenomenal!

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/07/49ers-randy-gregory-trade-2024-draft-picks/?utm_source=49ersWebZone&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

Yes we'll have cap room to add some players, likely 1yr deals, but the draft is where we'll add the majority of our new players IMO, being almost $45M over the projected $256M cap in 2024 isn't great, but we'll likely carryover $35M or more, redo Deebo saving $15.8M, redo Gregory saving $10.096M, we should have some cap room, Idk if we'll be big spenders in FA next year, we were supposed to sit it out this year according to Lynch, but Hargrave was too good to pass up on, so maybe we do sign someone to a nice sized deal, between what Ward got($13.5M a yr) to Hargrave($21M), likely lower end.

Looking at how we are playing right now, I don't see a need for a big fish free agent. unless things change and someone retires we are set with the current roster and next years draft picks.

We can almost move up and down the draft board at will with all those draft picks.

According to this article on the front page we are going to have the ammunition to potentially add some good players next season.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/07/49ers-randy-gregory-trade-2024-draft-picks/?utm_source=49ersWebZone&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

Yes we'll have cap room to add some players, likely 1yr deals, but the draft is where we'll add the majority of our new players IMO, being almost $45M over the projected $256M cap in 2024 isn't great, but we'll likely carryover $35M or more, redo Deebo saving $15.8M, redo Gregory saving $10.096M, we should have some cap room, Idk if we'll be big spenders in FA next year, we were supposed to sit it out this year according to Lynch, but Hargrave was too good to pass up on, so maybe we do sign someone to a nice sized deal, between what Ward got($13.5M a yr) to Hargrave($21M), likely lower end.

Looking at how we are playing right now, I don't see a need for a big fish free agent. unless things change and someone retires we are set with the current roster and next years draft picks.

We can almost move up and down the draft board at will with all those draft picks.

Agreed, we don't need to sign a big name FA next year, only if Gregory doesn't work out, if he does, no way we should make a splash, but you know this place, and our fanbase, they want splashy moves every year. I'd also stand pat, then use our picks to move up & down, get the players we want. If we could get a Surtain in trade by the deadline, I'd be ecstatic, he's cheap in 2024, has a 5th yr in 2025, which isn't too expensive, I think, according to OTC, it'll be $16.803M, easy to fit in 2025, plus he'd be extended in 2025, low 2025-2027 cap numbers. But I don't think we necessarily need another CB, Lenoir has been good, but I won't be mad if they get Surtain.

Agreed, we don't need to sign a big name FA next year, only if Gregory doesn't work out, if he does, no way we should make a splash, but you know this place, and our fanbase, they want splashy moves every year. I'd also stand pat, then use our picks to move up & down, get the players we want. If we could get a Surtain in trade by the deadline, I'd be ecstatic, he's cheap in 2024, has a 5th yr in 2025, which isn't too expensive, I think, according to OTC, it'll be $16.803M, easy to fit in 2025, plus he'd be extended in 2025, low 2025-2027 cap numbers. But I don't think we necessarily need another CB, Lenoir has been good, but I won't be mad if they get Surtain.

OPPOSITE HERE.. I would rather go with Surtain than NOT... we haven't had two solid CBs since The Cover Brothers... and yes, I not since.. Deion was ALL WORLD, but Eric Davis sucked..

No. Two firsts and a second for a two year rental? No. It will take one of those firsts to replace Trent Williams, for a start. I dislike this business of trading future 1st's and consider it only justified for a quarterback and even then, only when there is no alternative. Trading this much for a non-qb shows a disregard for the value of draft picks shown by the Seahawks and the Rams, not by John Lynch. Face it, the cornerback position is just not important enough in Shanahan's scheme to even remotely start to justify that price. For a two season rental.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I feel Lynch is going to need to make one more trade to help get us closer to the prize. An ODB-like move. Pass rusher? CB?

LMAO. My dude.
this wasn't hard to predict, Charles, Jordan type moves

LOL. He still needs to get you a TE, 9ers4eva a CB and me an OL.
i would still bet on DL on what position would be the next trade

LMAO. Man, you went way out of a limb on that one!

it's gotta be a CB now if ONE is worthy... our OL is actually good... but 2 and 20 be suckin it TOGETHER !!

I would certainly put CB > OL ATM.

It's been a long time since the 49ers have had a fast corner that can cover an elite receiver one on one.

Another high end CB would certainly help take this defense to another level!

Doubt we can afford another high end CB, if any it'd be Surtain if available since he's signed thru 2024(I believe) for the minimum, but it'll take a 1st to get him, maybe more.

And you guys just can't be happy can you, we can't afford to bring in high paid talent every year, be prepared for 2024 when we're not big spenders in FA, they need every bit of the current $40M to carryover to 2024.

💯. Aiyuk is priority number 1. But Aaron Banks is due an extension. Greenlaw, Ward, Hufanga, and Lenoir are also in the 1 year left club.
DAMN, Lynch made the right move not bringing back Moseley, he tore his right ACL yesterday, I feel so bad for E-Man, wish he had stayed, but I think like with Verrett, he's an injury waiting to happen, his first career game he played he also had a season-ending injury on a MNF game I believe against the Raiders.

Damn- I hate that for Mosely. I figured they didn't sign him because they see a similar trajectory in Lenoir. Mosely wasn't an elite corner in 2019. Hoping Lenoir can get there. I feel so bad for Moseley though.
I'm sitting here on the toilet wondering if Lynch makes one big splash trade again this year. Right now we are the ripest we've been for a SB. Right now Lynch might be smelling blood and do something crazy. You never know what can happen next year
Share 49ersWebzone