There are 177 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Shanahan says they looked slow and tired on film. Bosa played every snap. I think the Chase Young trade is to solve that problem.

Obviously they feel like they need at least 1 elite edge pass rusher on the field at all times. Jackson, Ferrell, and Gregory don't fit that criteria. They're good players, but you take Bosa off the field and they don't cut it. Having Chase Young and Bosa, with those rotational guys ensures that you've always got at least 1 elite edge rusher on the field with fresh legs.
Originally posted by 49erKing:
Originally posted by picklejuice:
Originally posted by EastBay:
guys can we get devante adams??? if we can't get that bears CB...

The trade deadline was over 7 hours ago. So the answer is no.

dang. i didnt know that. welp. hopefully someone steps up and moves our needle!

Getting Deebo and Trent back will do wonders. Defense has 2 weeks to get their s**t together + Young.

Yeah. They can still get back on track. With the Young addition, Deebo's and William's return, and other guys like Greenlaw get to heal up, a run is possible. We haven't been blown out until the last game and even that was because of some Purdy brain farts.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 31, 2023 at 9:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by 49erKing:
Originally posted by EastBay:
guys can we get devante adams??? if we can't get that bears CB...

The trade deadline was over 7 hours ago. So the answer is no.

dang. i didnt know that. welp. hopefully someone steps up and moves our needle!

Getting Deebo and Trent back will do wonders. Defense has 2 weeks to get their s**t together + Young.

Yeah. They can still get back on track. With the Young addition, Deebo's and William's return, and other guys like Greenlaw get to heal up, a run is possible. We haven't been blown out until the last game and even that was because of some Purdy brain farts.

Deebo is such a massive piece to this offense for Kyle. Even when he's not getting the ball thrown to him he just opens things up for others, crazy how some wanted him traded.
Jaylon Johnson is a free agent at the end of the season. Niners should try to sign him then. That could be their big free agent signing in 2024. Not counting extending their own guys.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Jaylon Johnson is a free agent at the end of the season. Niners should try to sign him then. That could be their big free agent signing in 2024. Not counting extending their own guys.

Don't wanna hear talk about next season, they should've locked that trade in before it was all said and done!!!! Now they have to go into the playoffs with Oliver at NCB. Hopefully Chase Young and Bosa can mask his horrible coverages. Either that or Luter just picks things up so fast and is an instant impact knocking Oliver down the depth chart.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Don't wanna hear talk about next season, they should've locked that trade in before it was all said and done!!!! Now they have to go into the playoffs with Oliver at NCB. Hopefully Chase Young and Bosa can mask his horrible coverages. Either that or Luter just picks things up so fast and is an instant impact knocking Oliver down the depth chart.
fk next season
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

fk next season

Boom!!! My thoughts exactly!!!
Womack is the answer at NCB just a playmaker
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Of course it was another DL.

Teams will just continue to pass quickly and stuff our run game. Thrilling.
Of course you wouldn't admit that you were wrong to say 2.5 hours for them to do nothing.

As for Young, are you really going to call the addition of Young just another DE? Do you also believe that the team suddenly doesn't know how to pass rush? Teams could've employed the get rid of the ball quickly strategy that you suggest for the last 4 years, but for some reason, they didn't, or ot didn't work as nearly as effective as it has this year.

Respect for the move but this still helps nothing. OL and secondary is what this team needs more than anything.

Again, teams will continue to pass in 2.5s and stuff our run.

This is great, don't get me wrong, but in the end, it solves about our 3rd or 4th 'need' and probably nothing in the end. Hell, we've barely even used Gregory.

This helps nothing...

Okay.

We are bottom tier in run D. You cannot control a game as a bottom tier run D. We now do not have to depend on Drake Jackson. Its a need. If Wilks somehow gets back to what our D was prior to his arrival, they will need to be able to stop the run and rush the passer, from the edges, and they will have 3 guys that can do that not including Ferrell or Jackson..

Now I won't disagree about the O-line or corner need, but you are literally dismissing a top-10 player at his position. If passing the ball in 2.5 seconds was such an easy strategy to employ on this defense, then why didn't that work over the last 2 years? Why didn't it work in 2019? The D is going to fall on Wiks. He has an embarrassment of talent. Enough to cover for DB shortcomings. We'll see what Kyle does on the offensive side. They have their holes on O but the reality is, they have enough to get it done. Let's see if they actually get it done. I'm not optimistic or pessimistic. Just going to wait and see. After the defensive crap, I cannot be emotionally involved.

We're 5th best in run defense. I heard all this talk with the Hargrave addition as well. How much has the needle moved from last year's #1 defense with a far better 3T than what we had last year? Not much, huh?

You know me. I'm ALL about building up the trenches so I'm not upset at all of the move. I love it. It will help but nowhere near where the real problems lie and certainly not enough to move the needle that ''could' help overcompensate for our real issues. This, in the end, gets us nowhere near a Superbowl roster.

They have their holes on O but the reality is, they have enough to get it done.

As to this comment, I couldn't disagree more. That's been even more proven a fallacy without TW in the lineup --- you see how poor the the talent and depth is standing on their own. Even with a healthy TW, this is not reality.

IMHO, a team relying on a DL and a running game is building from a 1990's model. That's just not this league anymore.
Sucks the Broncos actually beat the Chiefs or I feel we could have really went after Surtain. Now they think that they actually have a shot until they lose this weekend.

Originally posted by 9NERNATE:
Sucks the Broncos actually beat the Chiefs or I feel we could have really went after Surtain. Now they think that they actually have a shot until they lose this weekend.

Surtain wasn't gonna be available win, lose or draw. Only way we get Denver listening is if John offered a Jalen Ramsey package that includes 2 1sts and I highly doubt this team wants to have no 1sts for another 2 years.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Surtain wasn't gonna be available win, lose or draw. Only way we get Denver listening is if John offered a Jalen Ramsey package that includes 2 1sts and I highly doubt this team wants to have no 1sts for another 2 years.

A Jalen Ramsey trade would be a no brainer for surtain who's still on his rookie deal. There's just no way Denver is trading him for any package in that realm
With all the dysfunction going on with the Raiders and other teams as well I think it should really make us appreciate what we have in Kyle and John
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Yeah this Surtain dream was in fact a dream. Unless you gave the Broncos two first round picks, there was no chance they would trade him. And Lynch has probably tried to make a trade but at some point it would be wise to keep some draft picks, specially first rounders.
Surtain is a really good young CB but it's not like he's prime Revis either.
I think Lynch made some good moves. Randy Gregory and Chase Young are two good players that can help the defense later in the season. That reminds me of the Willis and Omenihu moves. That 2021/2022 D-Line was maybe the deepest with Bosa, Arik, DJ Jones, Ebukam, Omenihu, Willis, Arden Key.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
With all the dysfunction going on with the Raiders and other teams as well I think it should really make us appreciate what we have in Kyle and John

Haha. That's very true too.
Share 49ersWebzone